Citgo Sign Debate

Lurker said:
Chavez was just brave enough to say what was really on his mind rather than try to beat around the bush like everyone else. I actually smiled when I heard what he said, because while the "patriotic" voices of America paint him as a radical, crazy extremist, I know full well that he represents the feelings of a pretty sizable chunk of the world's population.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Chavez is a petty thug whom is doing great harm to his country. If you can't see that if you can't see that, because you are blinded by a critical attitude of your own country, then I really feel sorry for you. Many people would say that they wished you could live in some hellhole for five minutes to learn otherwise, however having lived in a real police state in the third world, I would not wish that upon even my worst enemy.

Agreed.

I work with a girl from Venezuela. Chavez is not a man of the people, he's a thug. He literally takes from the rich and gives it to everyone else. Not with taxes, but literally just stealing money from wealthy people. He posts troops all over the place, on every street corner, for absolutely no reason. He's a dictator who needs to be overthrown, just like Castro does.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Chavez is a petty thug whom is doing great harm to his country. If you can't see that if you can't see that, because you are blinded by a critical attitude of your own country, then I really feel sorry for you. Many people would say that they wished you could live in some hellhole for five minutes to learn otherwise, however having lived in a real police state in the third world, I would not wish that upon even my worst enemy.

Woah, someone needs to control their temper. Did you even read what I said before going off on a rant? I said nothing about supporting Chavez or the third world, I just stated the facts. Not many people, especially politicians, would have said what Chavez said to the president of the most powerful country in the world. That was brave of him, you can't deny that, no matter what your opinions of him are. And it is also true that people who are blinded by their uncritical attitude towards their own country will automatically label him as a crazy radical, when the truth is that a lot of people around the world share his opinions of Bush. That was all I said, and I don't see how your rant fits into that at all.

But, now that you've brought it up....Want to know how Hitler got into power? The German people were so desperate to regain German stability that they fell for Hitler's charisma. Not enough people criticized and tried to stop him, so he just walked up and became a murderous tyrant. It is impossible to be blinded by a critical attitude towards your own country, quite the contrary, actually. It always makes me cringe when I hear the argument that because we're better off than most of the world, we should just keep our mouths shut. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being critical of your country. I live in America, and I will critize it as much as I want to because it is my duty as a citizen to do so. If I lived in Chad or Bangladesh or Mexico, I would critize those countries just as much.

lexicon506 said:

If I lived in Chad or Bangladesh or Mexico, I would critize those countries just as much.

In Chad, you'd be kidnapped.
In Mexico your voice would be much less meaningful than that of an animal in the US.
In Bangladesh - I have no idea

Not everyone agrees with the people on this forum.. namely the people in texas

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,216079,00.html

bosdevelopment said:

Excellent!

This just in: City Record to End Relationship with Texas-Based 7-Eleven

Boston ? History blog The City Record and Boston News-Letter is dropping Dallas-based 7-Eleven as its supplier of change when it needs to feed a parking meter or get on the Green Line.

The blog said Wednesday it will grub change from several distributors, including panhandlers, laundromats, and locally owned convenience stores.

A spokesman for the City Record said its relationship severance with 7-Eleven takes effect immediately and has been contemplated for several months since the price of a pack of Wrigley's gum was raised to 30 cents, thus making it less effective in supplying the City Record with quarters. He also indicated that 7-Eleven is a spineless panderer which is no doubt supporting such stellar humanitarian states as Saudi Arabia with its switch in gasoline suppliers.

cityrecord said:
bosdevelopment said:

Excellent!

This just in: City Record to End Relationship with Texas-Based 7-Eleven

Boston ? History blog The City Record and Boston News-Letter is dropping Dallas-based 7-Eleven as its supplier of change when it needs to feed a parking meter or get on the Green Line.

The blog said Wednesday it will grub change from several distributors, including panhandlers, laundromats, and locally owned convenience stores.

A spokesman for the City Record said its relationship severance with 7-Eleven takes effect immediately and has been contemplated for several months since the price of a pack of Wrigley's gum was raised to 30 cents, thus making it less effective in supplying the City Record with quarters. He also indicated that 7-Eleven is a spineless panderer which is no doubt supporting such stellar humanitarian states as Saudi Arabia with its switch in gasoline suppliers.

At least Saudi Arabia pretends to be our friend, not like this is much better but therein is the difference. Also 7-11 is a pretty substantial conglomerate change machine. If 7-11 werent around a lot of people would have zero source of income.

atlantaden said:
LOL, who cares about Texas? Texas SUCKS!!

Well the idea was that 7-11 is headquartered in Dallas. As you may know there are 7-11's in different states.

The Fox News article fails to provide some necessary background. (Why am I not surprised?) 7-Eleven, then called Southland Corporation, bought all of Citgo in 1983. It then sold half of it to the Venezuelan national oil company in 1986, and the other half in 1990.

So what we're really seeing here is just the final unwinding of a long-standing business relationship.

bosdevelopment said:
At least Saudi Arabia pretends to be our friend, not like this is much better but therein is the difference. Also 7-11 is a pretty substantial conglomerate change machine. If 7-11 werent around a lot of people would have zero source of income.

I agree. It is much better to have someone be friendly to your face and then stab you in the back than to know exactly where you stand with someone.

I'm sure other stores could pick up the slack should 7-Eleven disappear.

7-Eleven is owned by a huge Japanese retail company - just an FYI. No more sushi for me.

Back