City Hall: #1 world's biggest eyesore?

Wait one minute, buster! Don't leave CVS and Verizon out of the mix. Where would Downtown Crossing be without them.

I'll give you CVS, but Verizon is canceled out of the equation due to the fact that every other city in the network is speckled with red bouncy stick things.

Although, I'd have to imagine that with all those people in their commercials, they would be able to pull their own pedestrian weight.

I thought the DTX underground was halfway decent from my memory as well. A few store entrances and more carts. I think there's only one now I walk by too fast to even realize anymore. Going southbound the now cop station used to be a fast food stand like the opposite side didn't it?

On these frozen winter days, those tunnels are the greatest thing ever created, even w/o stores and vibrancy.

I recall there used to be more retail down there in the 1970s, even a bank branch.

Not #1 ... but so damn close.

1674740314613.png

Wouldn’t demolishing Boston City Hall be as difficult as the current demolition of the Government Center Garage up the block?

The two share similarities how they both sit atop of the subway line tunnels. In the case of Boston City Hall, the Green, Orange, and Blue lines sit underneath the building. Regular full scale closures of the Green, Orange, and Blue Lines would be necessary for the demolition of Boston City Hall. For the case of the Green Line, a closure from North Station to Park Street would be necessary due to the Government Center Loop sitting underneath City Hall.

Both buildings occupy decently sized footprints and seem to have similar heights. Boston City Hall doesn’t sit overhead of a roadway, so at least there’s that, but I think they’d still need to close some of Congress St., to demolish it. They appear to have similar architecture so demolishing the two might be identically difficult.

Back