City Hall Discussion - Redevelopment - Preservation - Relocation

Land there would be cheaper, it's in an area Mumbles wants built up pronto, and it's on public transit.

Sort of. What started out as the busway nobody needed could become quite overcrowded...

why move to somewhere that already has a popular and successful venture on it when there are plenty of places throughout the city that lay fallow?

I think the B of A Pavilion has a fixed-term lease from the city on its current site. It has moved around a few times already.

I am not excited about this. Boston's idea of iconic is mid-1990s arhictecture clad in glass.

Sad to think of City hall coming under the wrecking ball. :evil:

Sad? Why? That will be the happiest day for Boston in 40 years.

Happy? Give City Hall another 20 years and it will be a landmark that the preservationists will be clamoring to save.

^^ Yeah, I drank the ablarc/justin/Beton Brut kool-aid on City Hall as well.

I still don't like it, but I don't think it should be torn down. It needs to be cleaned, redeveloped and modified in parts, but leave it standing.

Office space...City of Boston Museum...Outpost for the MFA or ICA (you can't have too much art in a city)...retail center...condos...

The whole area would need to be redeveloped, but I think the building is flexible enough to be adapted for reuse.

I wish the BAC had the means to occupy it. Maybe an uber-patron could bequeath it. :idea:

^^ Government Center is the perfect place a small school campus. 8)

^ ha ha. i was thinking the same thing. great place for a Suffolk dorm. not too many neighbors down there to complain about the parties. :wink:

BostonCityHall.jpg

The possibilities are limitless. I think a museum would be perfect though.

"Sad to think of City hall coming under the wrecking ball. Evil or Very Mad"

Are you serious? Have you ever been to another major city? City Hall is a disgusting, embarrassing eyesore that has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's even worse inside. Look at San Francisco's city hall:
san-francisco-city-hall-holiday.jpg

city_hall_large.jpg

London:
City%20Hall%20LondonL.jpg

Boston:
300px-Bostoncityhall.jpg

Enough said. Raze the place.

It's all subjective, but what it represents -what the architects tried to represent-is very important, not only for architecture but for city government in general. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Examine what the building means instead of following knee-jerk gut emotions.

I could do without this 60's plot of poorly poured concrete...

statler said:
^^ Yeah, I drank the ablarc/justin/Beton Brut kool-aid on City Hall as well.

Thanks statler! Look like we'll need to dump it in the water supply...

City Hall can and should be improved for its intended use, but I don't believe its current inhabitants are up to the task...Menino aside, is there a member of the City Council that could be accused of being a visionary in this regard?

Excerpted from the "old" old forum -- some thoughts on why City Hall is the building everyone loves to hate:

Beton Brut said:
If we want to argue about Joe & Jane Sixpack's revulsion to modern architecture (or non-objectivist painting, serial music, conceptual art, Dadaism, etc) let's begin at the beginning: Taste (and understanding, and value, and passion) begins at home, and later (if you're lucky) at school...Most folks in New England live in homes that mimic the vernacular of America's antiquity (really not a very long time ago at all)...Consider as an example, there are only three Wright homes in Massachusetts and New Hampshire combined (I'm not sure, but I think there are six in Connecticut, but all are around New Canaan/Ridgefield)...

People are most comforted by what they know -- Wright, Eicher, Lautner, Neutra, Elwood, Eames, Rudolph and even poor old Hugh Stubbins are unknown to most folks because these guys didn't do Capes, Georgians, and Colonials (Most of these architects are identified with the West Coast, but hopefully you catch my drift)...

Show most people a photo of a Usonian home, and they'll think it's a gas station...I'm not making a value judgment about their morals or their cognitive abilities...I am, however, making a stern judgment about what we teach (and fail to teach)...People spend their lives in a built environment (home, school, workplace, retail spaces, public buildings, concert halls, museums, stadia) -- it's sad that their frame of reference is left to chance...How often is architecture mentioned in high school civics or history classes? Understanding what we build (and why it looks the way it does) is a critical part of our understanding society -- can we at least agree on that?

The Masses (in and beyond Boston) dislike hard Modernism (concrete, exposed metal, rough surfaces, sharp edges) because it doesn't look like where they live or where they grew up (and no one's ever had a conversation with them about issues of design, urban planning, etc)...With a "difficult" building like City Hall, I'm not certain how we can help its detractors see the value of the building (and there a numerous problems to be solved for the building to work right)...I love the City Hall because it's forthright in its expression of structure (I wish it's inhabitants were so blessed) and it uses its principal material (concrete) with a sense of striving muscularity...

As an alternative, we could implode the building with great pomp and ceremony and erect a giant wood-frame three-decker and call that City Hall...

And let's consider the logistics of Menino's proposal...Anyone looking forward to a visit to Houston-on-Harbor to contest a parking ticket or get a copy of a birth certificate? A supremely stupid idea...

Back