City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Re: Official City Hall Plaza Proposals

An old fountain. I'll see if I can dig up pics

R2hWZjJ.jpg

The water leaked into the T tunnels, so they shut it down and covered it up. Then during a concert or some event, they discovered that the deck they built over it was failing, so they filled the whole thing in.

Interesting, thanks!

Not to mention paving. The City's disabilities commission would like to cover the world in asphalt and concrete. Hopefully someone's advocating for the newer tight set brick pavers.

I'm also disappointed that this doesn't seem to address the center courtyard--that may be in the Utile builidng plan. Or that there doesn't seem to be a water feature. The ones at the Greenway are so great it would be nice to see something lively like that in City Hall Plaza.

Possibly, but I think a lot of the work that gets done will be "invisible" - plumbing, electrical, and data connections, allowing the City to use (and monetize) the space better.

I agree with those who have suggested vines (and additional vegetation beyond trees). I'd also like to see the Plaza's improvements brought into the building's courtyard, utilizing this unique sculptural space for an array of smaller gatherings and events. Just make it green and welcoming, a brutalist riff on related spaces at the BPL and Gardner.

I'm also disappointed that this doesn't seem to address the center courtyard--that may be in the Utile builidng plan. Or that there doesn't seem to be a water feature. The ones at the Greenway are so great it would be nice to see something lively like that in City Hall Plaza.

There apparently will be a water feature. From the article:

The planned changes involve a complete redesign of the plaza, including plans for a seasonal fountain and tree-covered gathering spots — as well as the renovation of the North Side entrance of City Hall, which has been closed to the public for 17 years.

Anything short of in filling the plaza with buildings is a waste of money.

Nope. I'm not saying fill the whole thing in but it's truly a waste right now.

Biggest waste of valuable space. I have honestly never heard anyone in my life ever say "I am really happy the plaza is there".

This project would be very expensive lipstick on a pig, a total waste. As Van said, fill the Plaza in with buildings. Leave a pocket park, but do the logical thing and develop the area.

Re: Offical City Hall Plaza Proposals

Metasyntactic -- good find

Here's another historic one -- aerial photo [from balloon] over Tivoli in Copenhagen [circa 1920]

1280px-Spelterini_Tivoli_Copenhagen.jpg

Note the small black dots -- those are people

A roller coaster?! :rolleyes:

The Globe now also has the photo of the verdant oasis.

A slightly less grainy image, not from the Globe.

bostoncityhallplazastudy-finalreport-6-1530588898.jpg

Walsh wants to spend $60M on THIS?! I don't see anything worth spending that much on. Looks almost the same to me!! :eek:

nothing short of 5,000 lb bombs will fix this colossal mistake....

i dream of the day when the whole smash is the biggest hole since the Big Dig

Urban plazas are great and this space *could* be a great plaza. They just need to make a Modernist version of this:

t2RaMIP.jpg

But that will never happen in our lifetime.

Urban plazas are great and this space *could* be a great plaza. They just need to make a Modernist version of this:

But that will never happen in our lifetime.

The buildings abutting that plaza are absolutely beautiful and stately. The ones abutting City Hall Plaza are not. So, I don't think it's possible to replicate anything like that photo.

Walsh wants to spend $60M on THIS?! I don't see anything worth spending that much on. Looks almost the same to me!! :eek:
bostoncityhallplazastudy-finalreport-6-1530588898.jpg

Seeing this, I just felt some vomit in my throat.

The buildings abutting that plaza are absolutely beautiful and stately. The ones abutting City Hall Plaza are not. So, I don't think it's possible to replicate anything like that photo.

Well, yeah, you'll never achieve that exact same old-world effect, but you can take a lot from that photo and still create a great urban plaza.

The main lesson to be learned from European plazas is the 'outdoor room' concept. The plaza should be almost completely surrounded on all sides with buildings with only a few 'doors' (alleyways or really narrow streets) leading in and out. Currently, Cambridge Street ruins this effect completely.
Proportions are also important to get the 'outdoor room' effect. The size of the buildings surrounding the plaza needs to relate to size of the plaza itself. (There is, I think, a well known "ideal" proportion for this sort of thing. I seem to remember ablarc talking about it a while back).
The third lesson is the idea of a focal point and centerpiece. Believe it or not, in a Modernist plaza, City Hall would serve as an excellent focal point if it were properly framed. A large fountain of statue set in the center of the plaza (not off to side like planned) would be the final missing piece.

So well we'll never get the perfectly patina'd old-world plaza, we can (but won't) build a great urban amenity in CHP while still leaving a large swath of open space in the center.

Edit: I forgot one important aspect. The ground floor of the surrounding buildings need to be activated and permeable. Cafes, bars, restaurants and shops. No corporate lobbies or long blank walls.

^^^Well said. Totally agree.

Where are the beautiful and stately buildings in this wonderful urban plaza (which, btw, was built within the last 10 years)?

kushnerarticlephoto.jpg

Idk Bronson. That plaza looks pretty crappy. Like an alleyway but three times wider.

Let's be honest, adding a couple of trees is not going to fix the plaza. I think the only plaza comparable to Boston City Hall is Toronto City Hall and there are barely any trees there yet people flock there. The unequal surfaces and the awkward 'n' shape of the plaza created by jamming the ugly City Hall building into the middle of it makes it feel less like a plaza and more of a place that i walk by than stay.

They would do better by just filling in the plaza so that it is flat across and not glorified stairs.

They would do even better by demolishing the plaza and city hall and rebuilding from scratch.

Last edited:

Agree. Look at those other pictures. Can't you see it? No revision of City Hall Plaza will ever work, and it must be destroyed to be saved.

This is because its shape is inorganic and artificial, its perimeter repels rather than attracts, and its many grade changes are jarring. Asking people to gather there and stay is like asking milk to remain in a shattered jug.

Back