City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

This just proves that just because someone is famous doesn't mean that people like their work. I do think the main issue here though is that it's a Federal building and the site around it is basically inactive or inaccessible because of "security."

Significant in what ways? Which architectural awards has been bestowed upon this building? Educate the forum if you don't mind.
so far as i know, it hasn't won any awards. if, to you, lack of trophies indicates that a building has no architectural merit or significance, then you got me there. as for how or if it's significant in the minds of others, LMGTFY: here, here, here, here, here

Gropius isn't infallible. I'd argue the historical significance of this building is far outweighed by the detriment to the urban/public experience around it.

The security issue is very valid though. Government buildings aren't a glamorous, active public realm type program. A main component of why this area at the heart of the city is so dead most of the time.
The tower component is quite beautiful though imo

I have to imagine that the current appearance of the JFK is not how it was originally envisioned. An aggressive power wash with bleach would probably bring it back.

A recladding will do. Maybe some dark, almost black glass to add variety to the area. The low rise portion has got to go. Build a new base around the tower that fronts the street. Win-Win-Win.

I honestly can't tell if you are being sarcastic

Not the changes I would like to see but I think this will be a big improvement and a lot of people here will come around to liking the changes when it's finished ... kind of like what we've seen with the greenway. I don't see a render for the proposed fountain here but I think it will be a really nice addition assuming they can keep it up and running, unlike the last one.

Here it is

05_Top-of-Hanover-Promenade-edited.jpg

https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/06/04/photos-boston-city-hall-plaza-renovations
I'm sorry, but isn't this exactly what it looked like prior to construction?

No, it definitely looks different. For instance, the Plaza was always lacking a wall saying "R&B sound POP JAZZ NOiSe"
Hate that. Looks like some weird dated Etsy/Pintrest-inspired look. Not too unlike the weird wayfinding (or whatever you'd call this) they had there before. Someone thought "reclaimed barn" was a good look for this area... looks awkwardly out of place to me.

why.JPG

The beer garden is equally weird.

EGckiBRXoAAjPRc.jpg

This just proves that just because someone is famous doesn't mean that people like their work. I do think the main issue here though is that it's a Federal building and the site around it is basically inactive or inaccessible because of "security."

Would you rather unique structures built by famous architects or samey structures in styles that are generally accepted to be aesthetically pleasing? I'd take the latter.

I honestly can't tell if you are being sarcastic
What's wrong with my suggestion? The tower is ugly, the low rise portion sucks, and its bad urbanity with no streetwall.

I'd like to see City Hall Plaza look like this (from a City Hall Plaza, redesign proposal by Peter Vanderwarker, 1991).
I would also replace 1-2-3 Center Plaza on the left with something more humane, and narrow up Cambridge Street a bit

Learn_ITEM-SIX-CityHallScollaySqComposite.jpg

Hate that. Looks like some weird dated Etsy/Pintrest-inspired look. Not too unlike the weird wayfinding (or whatever you'd call this) they had there before. Someone thought "reclaimed barn" was a good look for this area... looks awkwardly out of place to me.

View attachment 8620

The beer garden is equally weird.

View attachment 8621
The Boston Seasons beer hall might be the most aesthetically pleasing structure to show up in Government center in the last 50 years.

I'd like to see City Hall Plaza look like this (from a City Hall Plaza, redesign proposal by Peter Vanderwarker, 1991).
I would also replace 1-2-3 Center Plaza on the left with something more humane, and narrow up Cambridge Street a bit

Learn_ITEM-SIX-CityHallScollaySqComposite.jpg
But then you cannot see City Hall. 😗

Only in Boston would we hide the John Adams Courthouse behind a ring of buildings, but ensure a full 360 view of City Hall.
There could be a small street running from Cambridge Street to the front of City hall to provide a view from Cambridge Street. Also a few pocket parks would be inserted into the urban fabric to provide some open space and views.

Below is always how I envisioned fixing the plaza issue. The areas I call out as pedestrian streets should have the look and feel of streets that once were in the is area, but I do not see any reason to open them up to vehicular traffic. The events space of the plaza would be confined down to the area on the north side of city hall. This obviously isn't a practical or realistic approach.

1607112972928.png

Back