City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Yea I felt just turning it all into a park would be the best way to go, but this is pretty close and should be much more inviting. They have a dedicated podium for speeches too, pretty cool.

piazza navona, plaza mayor, plaza de espana -- all the wonderfullly successful plazas that boston city hall plaza was *supposedly* inspired by in the first place are 1) enclosed; 2) enclosed by cafes, shops, restaurants, clubs. if the three borders (unfortunately one is "taken" by city hall, itself) were similarly occupied by such retail- and consumer-friendly businesses then this area would be a home-run, regardless of trees or fountains. unfortunately, on the four sides you have: 1) city hall; 2) jfk low-rise; 3) two unblocked streetfronts. until/unless they allow construction of (relatively) low-rise businesses AT LEAST on the cambridge street side (and ideally in front of the jfk federal building, facing the plaza, as well as congress street on the north side) it will never be successful. it's a pretty simple solution and it's kind of baffling how nobody with the power to move these types of decisions
has figured that shit out by now.

I feel like this is the case for SO much of Boston. Empty streets and sidewalks.

I feel like this is the case for SO much of Boston. Empty streets and sidewalks.

The beer garden on the south eastern side was a nice influx of retail that activated that side of the plaza a bit. More of that kind of retail/cafe/bar would go a long way to enhance the plaza. In general, I find Boston's streets and sidewalks are pretty good for activation compared to other US cities, but fall far behind European and Asian examples for sheer people activation. However, our culture is different in regards to public spaces. We spend more money on our individual homes and yards, while other countries spend money on public spaces that benefit everyone.

20201114_164618.jpg

only in boston would members of a so-called "architecture forum" be advocating for the destruction of one of the most significant works of walter gropius. you guys are out of your minds.

only in boston would members of a so-called "architecture forum" be advocating for the destruction of one of the most significant works of walter gropius. you guys are out of your minds.

Architecture and good urban planning are often in conflict with each other. While this forum derives its name from architecture I'd say most of the conversations here tend to be urban planning focused.

That said, I wouldn't advocate for demolishing City Hall.

The Plaza should go and the street grid rebuilt. City Hall needs a creative architect to adapt its street level experience. It also needs a great structural engineer to take a look at that Congress St. side and figure out how to open up all of that.

Keep the high-rise. Axe the low-rise.
The high-rise actually looks better now, based on how well the Sudbury compliments it. I wonder if something similar could happen in a way that saves the low-rise. Maybe even this plaza revamp?

Significant in what ways? Which architectural awards has been bestowed upon this building? Educate the forum if you don't mind.

Could they accidentally raze the hideous JFK federal building during the plaza revamp? That building sucks.
A recladding will do. Maybe some dark, almost black glass to add variety to the area. The low rise portion has got to go. Build a new base around the tower that fronts the street. Win-Win-Win.

Back