Cmart in Chinatown moved

that would be great! I live in Dorchester and take the train to the one in the BackBay one near the redline would be awesome!

First thought: yes to Trader Joe's almost anywhere else in the city, but I don't want Chinatown to get squeezed any more than it already is. I know TJ's is capable of some cultural contextualization, but their offerings are too homogenous from store to store to really pull off something that would fit there. Case in point: the Coolidge Corner location isn't exactly swimming in kosher. A sign in the wine section and maybe a special endcap during high holidays, that's all. TJ's has too much (excuse the scare quotes) "regular product" to find room for "neighborhood flavor" in their footprints, and who knows if they'd even want to, given that their homogeneity is a major efficiency asset/moneymaker for them.

Quickly searching, I didn't see any Chinatown locations for TJ's in New York or San Francisco -- anybody know if they have one in a Chinatown type spot anywhere else? Correct me if I just sound like one of those Hyde Square Whole Foods gripers, but I think there's a difference here having to do with a longer history and a more legitimate concern that the neighborhood is endangered by super high end development on all sides.

^ How about instead of just stating concerns, you offer a solution to this vacant space. If you don't want TJs or a mainstream grocery, what should go there? The local neighborhood flavor store moved.

^It only moved down the street. Chinatown is spreading into the Leather District so I don't see much of a problem.

^ Nor, do I. That's why I didn't understand the griping.

Well, I know there is a Chinatown citizen lobbying group that wants a library for this neighborhood. I guess if they got the money to operate, they could put it in this location. Personally, with all the new mid-rise apartments going up in the area, I think there is enough demand for a general grocery store. Cmart 2 is a specialty grocery store that caters to a certain customer and cannot fill the needs of all the people moving into their new apartments. I understand that Roche Brothers may be moving into the new millennium tower; well that won't be ready for another 2-3 years and by that time there should be enough residents in the area to support both stores.

Back