Cold Storage Facility Redev | 40 West Commercial Street | Portland

PWMFlyer

Reaction score
Plans have been submitted to the planning dept as of March 1st, no details.
Plan # 001042-2020

This is great. I think all of the bigger industrial businesses should be focused along the Fore River now, between the two bridges. Now if only the oil terminus facility near Bug Light can be moved down to this area (or removed completely), Portland will have an even rosier future. It's such a beautiful harbor, but with an ugly sore smack dab in the middle with rusted oil tanks and docking tankers, leaking oil and spewing fumes from their idling engines.

Hope it's less than 65' tall or the NIMBY's on the hill will lose their minds again.

1583422087800.png

I find it odd that this rendering doesn't seem to show direct rail access. I remember that being a priority in the 2017 proposal

Attractive as a cold storage facility can be and vital to the Port of Portland and it's continued growth as a container option. I guess the opposition failed in their grassroots effort to limit the height to under 65 feet, yeah! The rail access is already in place and located to the north of the building. Were you thinking that the tracks were actually supposed to go into the structure itself?

Attractive as a cold storage facility can be and vital to the Port of Portland and it's continued growth as a container option. I guess the opposition failed in their grassroots effort to limit the height to under 65 feet, yeah! The rail access is already in place and located to the north of the building. Were you thinking that the tracks were actually supposed to go into the structure itself?

Maybe I was expecting something different. I just don't see any obvious inclusion of a rail spur in this rendering.

Maybe I was expecting something different. I just don't see any obvious inclusion of a rail spur in this rendering.
The rails go to the end of that white platform were trains will be loaded

That is correct, designed to be an efficient process from the ship to the cold storage facility (if perishable) to the rail platform and in reverse order for exports. Trains have already been utilized for quite some time now and the terminal was only missing the cold storage element to complete the long term vision.

From what I’ve heard, port officials are Also working behind the scenes to bring in additional scheduled refer ship services once this warehouse is operational. This will be a huge benefit for Maine’s fishing, aquaculture and agricultural sectors.
The IMT is never going to be able to compete with container traffic in Halifax or New York or even Saint John, but it has a lot of potential to grow as a port for refrigerated cargo.

Last edited:

Back