Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Columbus Center

RP, these look like vents, at the intersection of Stuart and Huntington. I think the train platforms for Back Bay, at least the Worcester Branch, would be underneath.

SNAG-01878.jpg

That's not the mechanical equipment for Shaw's?

That's not the mechanical equipment for Shaw's?

Could be. In using Google satellite and street view, the only other structure that might be a vent is a circular silo at 454 Stuart according to Google. That's right next to the train station and it maybe a circular ramp for the parking garage. (I've never used that garage so I don't know for sure.) There may be a vent in the donut middle,

Its not the circular portion for sure. I checked google street view and couldn't find it but the images are really blurry and some look directly into the sun. I'm almost positive it came from the side of the building. I swear it exists though I'll just have to take a walk down there and find it and take a picture.

Could be. In using Google satellite and street view, the only other structure that might be a vent is a circular silo at 454 Stuart according to Google. That's right next to the train station and it maybe a circular ramp for the parking garage. (I've never used that garage so I don't know for sure.) There may be a vent in the donut middle,

I think the vents for the BB Station are near the intersection of Clarendon and Columbus. They are free standing brick structures at the exit of the bus turnaround. (you can see them on the google arial map)

"Over 100 toxic chemicals associated with health damage are released into the air from PVC vinyl shower curtains. These chemicals make up that 'new shower curtain smell' unique to PVC vinyl shower curtains and shower curtain liners."

From "Volatile Vinyl: The New Shower Curtain's Chemical Smell," a new study released last week by the Alliance for a Healthy Tomorrow.

Link

Thanks for the warning....if I don't take action now to remove these toxins, then one day I may die.

[size=+1]No movement on Columbus Center[/size]

by Linda Rodriguez ● Managing Editor ● August 7, 2008

It?s been more than four months since construction on the massive Columbus Center abruptly stopped after developers requested a ?moratorium on construction? due to financial woes. It?s been nearly three months since the director of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority visited residents of Cortes and Isabella streets, whose homes overlook the now dormant sight, and said he?d have a decision for them within 30 days.

And so far, no one?s heard anything. The site, a barren dirt pit bordered by the roaring Pike and torn green hurricane fencing, remains inactive.

?No one?s responding at all,? said Artie Rice, a resident of Cortes Street. ?We?re ignored, we?re ignored really. ... It?s looking pretty ugly down here; the weeds are growing to tree height.?

Rice said that though the perimeter of the site is cleaned up weekly by workers from Project Place, a South End-based homeless advocacy organization, there are still problems.

The green hurricane fencing now bears graffiti and tears, the street?s trees were shorn to make way for the construction, and the interior of the site, he says, is full of rusting equipment and trash. The most tangible progress on the street is the return of the resident parking signs, bringing back parking for the neighborhood. Rice has e-mailed complaints and sent photos of the site to various representatives of the Boston Redevelopment Authority, individuals on City Council, and the Turnpike Authority, but says he?s heard nothing back from any quarter. (District 2 City Councilor Bill Linehan, one of those on Rice?s e-mail list, did not return a call for comment; a Boston Redevelopment Authority spokesperson said that she had no news regarding the project.)

?I suppose that there?s no answer, that they?re not ignoring us, but it would be nice if they would say, ?We?re still working, we?re still negotiating with the developers,?? said Rice. ?There?s nothing, I don?t know who to scream to anymore. None of us know who to yell to any more.?

Mac Daniel, spokesman for the Turnpike Authority said that right now, the Turnpike is still negotiating with the developers. ?I don?t have any news on the negotiations front. We continue to support the project, but we still need to iron out the terms of this year and a half moratorium,? he said Monday.

While he wasn?t aware of any complaints from residents, he said that the Turnpike Authority does need to meet with residents of the street again.

?Obviously, if residents feel that more needs to be done to keep the site up, we?ll work together with the BRA to make sure that gets done. We owe the community another meeting to update them on the status of the project and to hear about their concerns and we?ll probably set that up shortly,? Daniel said. ?We don?t want to see the site remain frozen in time either. It behooves the Pike to make sure the area is cleaned up and is as close to normal as it can be until the project gets on surer footing.?

The Columbus Center project was proposed more than a decade ago, as a way to reunite the South End and Back Bay with a luxury condominium-hotel high-rise complex built on a deck constructed over the Turnpike. Construction on the Columbus Center site started in November 2007, but was abruptly stopped in March; at the time, the developers said they had concerns about their finances and ?capital structure,? and said they were waiting on a stronger financial commitment from the state. Not long after, in April, the Patrick administration announced that the Columbus Center would not be one of the recipients of the MORE grant, a $10 million infrastructure grant; following that, MassHousing pulled out of more than $25 million in loans it had agreed to give the project.

Since then, the construction site has been virtually abandoned, as the developers have scrambled to find funding for the $800 million project in a trying economic climate.

While the Columbus Center situation has continued to unfold, so have more details over the Pike?s woeful financial situation. The Turnpike Authority remains deeply in debt after the $15 billion Big Dig project, and although the state has agreed to back $1 billion of the Turnpike?s debts, allowing the quasi-public agency to lower its borrowing costs, it still faces rising maintenance costs. Daniel said that the Turnpike?s financial situation has had no bearing on the Columbus Center project?s delays, adding, ?That?s completely different subject matter, and it?s not slowing this down at all.?

Meanwhile, the site still remains dormant and residents are increasingly frustrated. ?It?s just very, very frustrating that no one seems to want to address it; at least get these people to clean it up. I guess they?re all expecting miracles, but I would just like for them to acknowledge our existence. It?s hard to walk out every day and see it,? Rice said, adding that he?s concerned about how long the site may sit neglected. ?We?re kind of a forgotten street.?

http://www.mysouthend.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=news&sc3=&id=78527

Re: Ron Newman?s inquiries about UFP tunnel vents

Ron Newman;57154 . . . said:
How do other urban highway tunnels deal with this problem?
Existing urban highway tunnels were designed before particulate matter was well understood, so existing tunnels did not include remediation.

Ron Newman;57144 . . . said:
Can you point us to a currently operating example of scrubbing air vents?
Existing tunnels don?t use any of the latest technology in the ways that it would be applied here. It can be done; it just hasn?t been done.

Is there a difference between the I-90 air vents (current and proposed) and the air vents for other local tunnels such as Callahan, Sumner, Ted Williams, City Square, and I-93 (O'Neill)?
Among the 23 existing and proposed tunnel vents, there are minor differences (size, shape, direction, ventilation method, cubic feet/minute). But all of MTA?s current and proposed vents are un-filtered.

Re: developer liability for increased harm to public health

. . . the issue with Ned's UFP argument is that it is completely unreasonable to require a development to implement a scrubbing technology that does not yet exist at this scale.

You?ve confused the technology with the application with the scale. The fact that the type of air-cleansing vent needed isn?t installed elsewhere yet is not proof that one can?t be built, or proof that the technology doesn?t exist.

There?s nothing unreasonable about the principle of ?first, do no harm.? Nor is there anything unreasonable about the principle of ?when harm is a built-in consequence of a proposal, then change, move, or withdraw the proposal.?

Under the current proposal, people working and living along the corridor would suffer up to about a ten-fold increase in the deadliest form of particulate matter air pollution. People who are in the exposure zone and who know about this want either the air cleansed before it?s exhausted (1st choice), or else no tunnels, vents, or development at all (2nd choice).

Except for those who are (or hope to be) part of the development industry gravy train, no corridor resident who knows about the increased air pollution is advocating for exposing communities to harmful health impacts.

Re: ?liking? the proposal versus paying for it

. . . Hope this project gets built sometime in the near future--I really like the proposal. Its just if I were living next door near the open cuts for the transit lines I'd probably be a little worried about fumes..

Ronwell, the proposal got approved because it was written as subsidy-free. Only later did the owners admit that their plan was always to propose zero subsidies, get approval, and then consume as many subsidies as possible. Some of the $222 million in requested subsidies are one-time, some run for decades, and some run for a century. These subsidies are not repaid from Columbus Center?s city property taxes and state income taxes (elected officials waived much of that revenue), but from everyone else?s property and income taxes. So while there?s not enough money for basic necessities (health care, transportation, education, public safety), your politicians wasted millions of dollars subsidizing a privately owned luxury skyscraper.

Try this: if you still ?really like? this proposal, then decide how many tax dollars you think every citizen should forfeit just to pay for California?s costs and profits. This project is only one eighth of the entire corridor, so multiply the amount of your own money you want to donate to Columbus Center by 8, and then reconsider whether you still ?really like? the MTA?s approach to air rights development.

Anyone who doesn?t want to fork over that many of their own dollars just to fund someone else?s private profit needs to get (a) new elected officials, (b) a new subsidy-free proposal, or (c) both.

Re: vent locations

RP, these look like vents, at the intersection of Stuart and Huntington. I think the train platforms for Back Bay, at least the Worcester Branch, would be underneath.

No. Your photo shows the Prudential supermarket loading dock, not the transportation corridor exhaust vents. Also, the train passenger platforms are not underneath the Prudential supermarket; they?re actually underneath Back Bay Station, Copley Place, and the Southwest Corridor Park.

Re: remediating via electrification

. . . the easiest and cheapest fix for a good amount of the air pollution along the Mass Pike and in Back Bay would be to electrify the Worcester branch out to Allston and have the MBTA use dual mode locomotives for the Worcester and Attleboro lines.

Even if reducing commuter rail diesel pollution were easy or cheap, that would relieve only a small part of the total problem. There are also three rail lanes sporting Amtrak diesel locomotives, and most of the particulate matter comes from 100,000 turnpike vehicles each day.

Re: DarkFenX?s assumptions about the economics of air pollution cleansing

. . . What Ned wants is a utopia. A perfect city where nothing can harm you. . .
No. I?ve never asked for utopia. What I and others have said all along is that it?s unacceptable to force anyone who works or lives along the corridor to suffer needless exposure to particulate matter air pollution, and that if the corridor is developed at all, then tunnel vents need to cleanse the air before it?s pumped into the offices and homes which were there first.

Building new projects is optional; protecting public health is a necessity. When an optional new project threatens public health, then it should be built differently, be built elsewhere, or else not be built at all.

. . . there is always a sacrifice in order to progress . . .
No. It?s not true that there?s ?always? a sacrifice. This situation is a perfect example. The space above the corridor can be developed, and the air below it can be cleansed. Public health need not be sacrificed just so the turnpike and its developers can profit.

. . . I don't see any problems in any other major cities involving this, only Boston. . .
You can?t see this problem elsewhere because other municipalities aren?t building city-wide tunnels that include a built-in opportunity to filter the air passing through the tunnel vents.

. . . there is, and will be pollution over the pike no matter whether or not you pave over it or not. If the pollution is vented, it will spread above ground regardless. . .

You misunderstand the problem, the cause, and the solution. Firstly, so long as the corridor remains an open-air cavity, the pollution will continue, but once the corridor becomes a tunnel, that pollution need not continue, because it can be filtered. So it?s not true that the corridor must always remain polluted. Secondly, paving has nothing to do with tunnels, vents, or pollution. Thirdly, you wrote that corridor air pollution ?spreads above ground regardless? but that?s not so. Ultrafine particulate matter air pollution remains highly dangerous for the first few blocks, then the harm dissipates. Finally, no one who is aware of this issue is arguing to ?vent the pollution? as you wrote; people are seeking to cleans the polluted air before venting it.

. . . building an advance scrubbing vent is NOT FEASIBLE.
Untrue. In a project estimated by its owners to sell for $1.3 billion, cleansing the exhausted air is very feasible. The controversy arises because these developers? overriding goal is maximum profit, so they treat clean air as ?optional? and ?unnecessary?, whereas people working and living along the corridor would suffer increased exposure to the deadliest air pollution known. For them, clean air is ?necessary? and they consider it ?non-negotiable?.

. . . If it was [feasible], then CC should not be in money trouble right now without the advance vents that Ned speak of.

You misunderstand the project, both in terms of its latest proposal, and also its financial failure. The latest proposal is to capture, concentrate, and exhaust all air pollution from the corridor below into offices and homes above, so it isn?t suffering from any remediation costs at all.

What you call ?money trouble? actually has entirely different causes:

● California defaulted on its 99-year lease over 2.5 years ago.
● California has been trying to re-negotiate a new one ever since.
● No local, national, or global bank ever loaned the project any money.
● Massachusetts? subsidies to California?s profits have been denied, withdrawn, or rescinded.
● The owners ran out of cash and halted construction last winter.
● Nothing got built, but the owners consumed $110 million already (?State pulls 10m slated for Columbus Center?, Boston Globe, 8 April 2008).

I'll just reiterate: while it's philosophical and maybe even fun to debate the effects of urban tunnels, this has nothing to do with Columbus Center. This would be a good debate to have in the "Design a Better Boston" section of this site. It's not related to Columbus Center any more than it's related to the Garden, the Greenway, the Intercontinental Hotel, South Station, Prudential Center, Copley Place, etc, etc.

This project is fully approved. The debate on Columbus Center is over. The developers won the debate.

Financing in today's market is the only obstacle. And it's a huge obstacle.

This "UFP" angle that the anti-progress cartel has just recently grasped onto is an argument of last resort. Their prior efforts to block the development based on heights, shadows, characters, etc. all failed. So, now they are left to grasp at straws... ultra-fine straws.

The debate on Columbus Center has been over for quite a while now.

Stellarfun, the Worcester branch loading platform ends under Copley Place:

img7001pl8.jpg

. . . the effects of urban tunnels, this has nothing to do with Columbus Center. . . It's not related to Columbus Center any more than it's related to the Garden, the Greenway, the Intercontinental Hotel, South Station, Prudential Center, Copley Place, etc. . .
Polluting tunnels have everything to do with Columbus Center, and in a way that none of those other sites do, because the others were finished over the last 50 years, whereas Columbus Center is only an un-approved proposal, now in its 13th year of being re-proposed.

This project is fully approved.
No. The proposal isn?t fully approved. It was never fully approved:

? MTA has not given approval to start building tunnels, much less buildings.
? No new lease was approved to replace the one that California defaulted upon 2.5 years ago.
? None of the necessary bank loans were ever approved, even when the economy was robust.
? The public subsidies were disapproved or withdrawn.
? In April, the current owners disapproved the former owners? request for more money.

That?s a heap of mortal disapprovals.

The debate on Columbus Center is over.
Actually, more serious debates are occurring now (2005-2008) than during the years of the so-called public process (2001-2004). Not being a participant, you wouldn?t be aware of them, but they're real, and they're effective.

The developers won the debate.
Had the former or current owners ?won the debate? then they would now have: bank loans, investor cash, public subsidies, MTA permission to build tunnels, and a new 99-year lease to replace the one on which they defaulted 2.5 years ago. The developers lost the debates for each of those items, and lost the approvals as well.

This "UFP" angle that the anti-progress cartel has just recently grasped onto is an argument of last resort. Their prior efforts to block the development based on heights, shadows, characters, etc. all failed. So, now they are left to grasp at straws... ultra-fine straws.
The public health risks caused by exposure to UFPs from Columbus Center?s vents are not an ?angle?; they are real. The public health risks are not recently discovered; they?ve been known about for decades. The public health risks are not anyone?s last resort for blocking one development; they are actual harm intended at all air rights sites citywide.

And UFPs themselves are far more than merely ultrafine; they?re invisible, odorless, and microscopic.

All things being equal, most people value saving human lives over boosting developer profits, so getting resolution on the UFP issues isn?t anti-progress at all. It?s as progressive as one can be.

Thanks kz. I only searched google maps for a vent from Back Bay station because of the observation that black, sooty smoke would sometimes puff up near a sidewalk in the general vicinity of Copley Place.

Ned, I believe AMTRAK runs two diesel locomotives a day through Back Bay station. These are for the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited. AMTRAK's other passenger trains are pulled by electric locomotives.

As for not enough being known about particulate matter when highway tunnels were being designed two, three, or even one decade ago, that is absolutely not true. There have been standards for particulate matter for decades. It boggles that you would make sweeping categorical statements while apparently having little familiarity with the science, technology, and regulation of air pollutants. Below is a link to an EPA fact sheet dated August 1994 which addresses the extent that emissions have been cut from motor vehicles between 1970 and 1994; i.e., by the early 1990's, there had been a 70 to 90 percent reduction in pollutants from the level emitted by motor vehicles built in 1970.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/11-vehs.pdf

The debate on Columbus Center is over - the environmental impact, the scope of the project, what to build, how high, how much, etc, etc has all been determined and approved.

The only thing at issue is the financing. This is the hardest financing market in at least 20+ years, and Columbus Center is the most complicated financing situation imaginable. The financing variables are an extremely volatile mosaic of debt and equity pieces each lined up like a set of dominos. Remove one, and the whole process stops working.

Naturally, this extremely complicated financing package has fallen apart in the face of this historic credit collapse.

So yes, the financing "debate" rages on.

The rest of the debate? Over. The developer won that debate. The anti-progess cartel should focus their energies on stopping other projects like the Copley Place tower or the South Station Tower that are going to be built over tracks/road beds. The debate here is closed.

This silliness over the UFPs? Has nothing, nothing, at all to do with this project at this point in time. It is totally and completely irrelevant. The moderators should just move this entire thread to where it may be relevant, perhaps in the "Transit" forum and name it "Benefits and Risks of Urban Tunnel Development". This debate just doesn't belong here.

The Columbus Center debate is over. Approved. Ready to go. Just needs some very complicated financing in the face of a worldwide credit crisis. Naturally, it's stalled at the moment.

The discussion on urban design and the health effects of tunnel building in the 21st Century is an exciting and interesting debate, and it should be given its own thread because it's a much bigger philosophical debate than the architectural discussion of this one little building in Boston. I for one have learned a lot from Ned and his detractors on this subject. But sadly, I've learned nothing at all new on Columbus Center. Which is what this thread should be used to discuss.

Amtrak runs only two diesel trains a day through Back Bay, but MBTA runs over 200. Diesel pollution is already a serious problem in the station.

Amtrak runs only two diesel trains a day through Back Bay, but MBTA runs over 200. Diesel pollution is already a serious problem in the station.
No disagreement about that. I do believe there are dual mode locomotives built that can operate using either electric or diesel power. You could electrify the Worcester line tracks to say Allston, and with dual mode locomotives being used by the MBTA, much of the diesel pollution at South station and Back bay station would be gone.

I'm counting not just the Framingham-Worcester trains, but also the Franklin, Providence, Stoughton, and Needham trains which also pass through (a different part of) Back Bay Station.

Dual-mode locomotives sound like an excellent idea, but I've never heard of the T even considering them.

All this money to be spent to avoid spending the money to do it right?

^ Dual-mode locomotives cost money to buy and operate, and they're a band-aid. The real solution to bad air in trenches is to electrify the line. Costs more, but permanently fixes problem and yields collateral benefits. If Europe can do it, so should we.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back