Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Columbus Center

. . . Obama wants states to use the stimulus for infrastructure projects. What better way for the state to spend money than on the deck for Columbus Center? . . .
You missed the earlier posts on this subject, so here?s a short summary._ Last November, at the request of the Office of Housing and Economic Development, I submitted supplemental information on the Columbus Center proposal, including public records that the developers had denied and withheld._ After examining that withheld information, the state disqualified the request for a $20 million construction grant._ That?s because such grants are only for publicly owned infrastructure, and Columbus Center is 100% privately owned, especially the tunnels, decks, platforms, and parks._ The answer to your question is that every municipality in the state has better ways to spend that money, because every municipality has publicly owned infrastructure, while Columbus Center has none.

. . . Immediate job creation by the state to build the deck, and when it's finished, the developer creating jobs for construction of the buildings. And THEN, more residences and stores and facilities, further boosting the economy. . .

Again, you missed the earlier posts on this subject, and apparently are relying more upon the California spokeswoman?s unsubstantiated claims to reporters than on California?s public subsidy applications filed at city, state, and federal agencies._ So here?s a short summary._ The original lease signed in May 2006 ? and the amended lease negotiated in 2008 ? both include provisions for this 14-year construction period:

2011-2025.jpg

Thus, no new permanent jobs would be created until 2026._ Furthermore, the claimed construction jobs were exaggerated about ten-fold, because each such ?job? is only a few weeks of temporary work in a specific trade._ Also, all that work would go to existing workers, in existing positions, at existing employers, so none of those construction jobs would be new.

. . . And, the ?no money without local support? doesn't apply, because you and your select few are the only ones who don't want this to go through.

Years ago, the political winds blew along several supporters._ But that was before Senator Wilkerson?s arrest, indictment, and election defeat._ The proposal has no political supporters left today._ As of 24 January 2009, no City councilor is supporting the $137 million DIF subsidy, Mayor Menino is not supporting it, no state legislator is supporting the $50 million federal stimulus subsidy, and state officials are not considering any other past, present, or future subsidies for Columbus Center.

California?s managers admit to still seeking every subsidy they can get their hands on._ But the desires of California?s managers are now the opposite of the positions of elected officials in Washington, Massachusetts, and Boston.

By the way, there is no ?select few?._ Over the last 6 years, the citizens who objected to Massachusetts public funds subsidizing California?s private venture aren?t few; they are many._ And they aren?t select; they cover a broad cross section of voters._ The 200 state legislators who do not support any government bail-out for Columbus Center reflect the views of their millions of constituents._ Less than 1% of those constituents are Columbus Center cheerleaders who are already riding on ? or who hope to hitch a ride on ? the real estate industry gravy train.

Last edited:

Hmmm 2023, I hope all those NIMBYs will move out by then. If only the NIMBYs were gone earlier or would stop using their ridiculous arguments, the project would most certainly be done by now and at least some jobs can be created.

Ned, hopefully you spend just as much effort at your day job as you do thwarting development in your neighborhood.

Again, you missed the earlier posts on this subject, and apparently are relying more upon the California spokeswoman’s unsubstantiated claims to reporters than on California’s public subsidy applications filed at city, state, and federal agencies._ So here’s a short summary._ The original lease signed in May 2006 — and the amended lease negotiated in 2008 — both include provisions for this 14-year construction period:

2011-2025.jpg

Thus, no new permanent jobs would be created until 2026._ Furthermore, the claimed construction jobs were exaggerated about ten-fold, because each such “job” is only a few weeks of temporary work in a specific trade._ Also, all that work would go to existing workers, in existing positions, at existing employers, so none of those construction jobs would be new.

This just means that they are allowed to have construction take that long if need be. And from the developer’s viewpoint, why not? If there are economic problems necessitating a delay, they can have one without paying fines to the authorities. Even in your graphic, it says up to a 10 year delay, which is highly unlikely (do you know any privately built development in the US that was on hold for 10 years, then restarted?).

The purpose of the infrastructure stimulus is not to create permanent jobs. The purpose is to get a quick boost in employment that comes from workers and suppliers constructing these projects using stimulus funds. To be effective as a stimulus, the shorthand term 'shovel-ready' is often used. The deck for Columbus Center would certainly be characterized as 'shovel ready'.

If Massachusetts doesn't have enough 'shovel ready' projects to use up whatever its share of the pie is, the unobligated monies quite likely will go to other states that do.

See article on California halting highway projects already under construction and waiting stimulus monies.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/13/MN6C1591FF.DTL

I cannot believe I am posting in this debacle of a thread.
However, I am taking it off topic, as usual. Whoo Hoo. Points for me.

Bay Area projects in jeopardy

Construction of four carpool lanes could be shut down:
Interstate 580 between Pleasanton and Livermore in Alameda County
Interstate 680 over the Sunol Grade in Alameda County
Highway 101 in Sonoma County
Interstate 80 in Solano County​

All of these locations are in the outer exerbs of the Bay Area.

Carpool shmarpool. These places do NOT need this. Let's look behind the curtain, superficially, shall we?

To parlay this into something New Englanders could compare it to, it would be like expanding the Pike in Sturbridge. *sarcasm*

Okay, maybe too extreme. In reality, more like expanding out from 495 or 290 or any of their feeder roads. Or expanding 190 between Leominster and Worcester.

I know this is going to be a contentious suggestion, but that's what this thread has become all about anyway. Given what has happend/is happening in real estate out here, these specific road infrastructure projects should be temporarily discouraged and alternative transportation funding should be proposed. Complicated studies will have to be made, delaying whatever was planned for a few more years. (Somebody on here will like the sound of THAT. :p)

By that time, those places in the great beyond, where these specific projects are pretending to serve--Tracy and Vacaville, Pleasanton and Santa Rosa--will be shells of their current selves. Ghost towns. (Well, probably not. But I can dream, can't I?)

Why should the need to create jobs become of such paramount importance that we need to push through all these ill-conceived projects, given the economic, social, and environmental climates. We have the hind and foresight to restructure and re-imagine many of these projects now.

That said, Columbus Center ISN'T one of them. Initially, the process was diligent; the financing was shifty, but aren't they all shifty when they become this convoluted. Use this project as a template and example to refine and restructure the process for developers, especially for future air rights parcels, as many have been suggesting throughout this thread and forum. If public input is encouraged, then this kind of secrecy ensues, that lack of trust always develops into the kind of community battle that escalated here. Poor leadership on the city agencies and mayor's part for sure.

Personally, I think the delay in this (and other projects) will be for the better, for many concerns involved. Not sure Ned deserves the lambasting he gets here for his motives, or his presentation, or his methodologies. It is getting tiresome, though. All of you, do yourselves a favor--time to unclench, chill, and put it to bed. This project reads like one focked puppy, and it's now getting what it deserves.

That's all. I will not respond on this topic anymore, unless it's a meritorius, aesthetic evaluation.

Last edited:

[size=+2]Wilkerson admits she took at least $70,000; Columbus Center developer gave $10,000, sources say[/size]
Boston Globe, 25 January 2009

Wilkerson-admits-01.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIlkerson-admits-02.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wilkerson-admits-03.jpg

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma.../25/wilkerson_admits_she_took_at_least_70000/

Thus, no new permanent jobs would be created until 2026._ Furthermore, the claimed construction jobs were exaggerated about ten-fold, because each such ?job? is only a few weeks of temporary work in a specific trade._ Also, all that work would go to existing workers, in existing positions, at existing employers, so none of those construction jobs would be new.

Tell that to all the existing workers who are sitting at home waiting for their unemployment to run out.

Being in the union hardly means you constantly have work. A small handful of new projects still underway and a bunch of tenant fit-outs and rehabs are hardly keeping all those existing workers in their existing positions.

A new construction job is just that. You need new projects to create new jobs. Old projects get finished, and then where do you think those workers go? To some magical building that is constantly under construction, and has bottomless pockets? The Big Dig is over man, Wormer dropped the big one!

Wilkerson is going to JAIL or she will have to do a plea bargain. City Hall is up in Arms right now.

Ned....I know you are one who cares about process and the legalities of things and so on, so I was surprised that you took it upon yourself to reproduce a Boston Globe article.

Had you done thorough research, you would have known this is illegal, and per Globe policy.

In all cases, permission is granted for specific use and under no circumstances may Globe content be further re-distributed or reproduced. Any such use without prior written permission from The Boston Globe constitutes a violation of federal copyright law.

Just thought you'd like to know in the interest of disclosure :)

Lots of us repost articles here, not just Ned. Let's not worry about it.

I heard he tears the tags off of his mattresses too.

Now if you "hid" behind a false psuedonym, who would ever know.

<yawn>

I wish we had a REAL Columbus Center thread

I really think that this thread needs to be locked. I know that it is just my two cents, but there is nothing productive coming from continuing any of this.

Lots of us repost articles here, not just Ned. Let's not worry about it.

It's fine to disregard the law simply because "lots of (you) do it" is indefensible.

I actually enjoy this thread. I have an interest in seeing the project move forward, but more than that, enjoy Ned Flaherty's posts. Have learned not to eat while reading. Oatmeal on monitor via nose = messy.

What's saddest to me about this whole sorry business is the fact that from the standpoint of the city's health and its urban design, Columbus Center was the most healing and best project proposed for this city since the unmatchable 19th Century developments we all love so much.

Boston Globe - January 27, 2009
Columbus Center investor questions Winn gift

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | January 27, 2009

A schism is developing in the management of the $800 million Columbus Center project after the disclosure that developer Arthur Winn gave a $10,000 gift to former state Senator Dianne Wilkerson, who was arrested last fall on bribery charges.

An executive with the project's largest investor, the California Urban Investment Partnership, said yesterday the gift could constitute a violation of its contract with Winn's development company. Wilkerson has been a vigorous supporter of public subsidies for Columbus Center, an ambitious project to build condominiums, stores, and a hotel over the Massachusetts Turnpike in Boston.

"CUIP has a strict policy regarding contributions to elected officials and does not condone any contribution of this type," Chuck Berman, managing principal of the investment fund, said in a statement. "If in fact these allegations are true, CUIP would find this to be a serious breach of its partnership agreement with Winn."

The statement raises the specter of discord on the project as its managers struggle to move forward after financial troubles halted construction last year. The partnership is the investment entity that manages money for the California state pension fund, the primary investor in Columbus Center since May 2006.

Winn's donation to Wilkerson, however, predated the pension fund's investment in Columbus Center. A spokeswoman for the fund would not elaborate on how the donation would violate its contract with Winn.

The Boston Globe reported Sunday that Winn gave Wilkerson $10,000 after she began soliciting money from supporters in 1997 to pay off mortgage and federal tax debts. Wilkerson obtained a letter from the state Ethics Commission granting her approval to accept the gifts.

Winn's money came in the form of a check sent to a Boston law firm that was handling the fund-raising for Wilkerson, according to a person briefed on the transaction. Winn was one of several executives who contributed to Wilkerson's fund.

The Ethics Commission's letter, a copy of which was obtained by the Globe, did place conditions on the fund-raising, stating that Wilkerson could not accept gifts from anyone with business before the Legislature. If they later did have business before the Legislature, Wilkerson was advised to publicly disclose that she received the gifts.

Wilkerson voted in favor of public funding for Columbus Center in 2005 and lobbied state officials on multiple occasions to provide tens of millions of dollars in additional assistance to the development team. A spokesman for the Ethics Commission said yesterday it does not have any disclosures on file from Wilkerson.

A spokesman for Winn did not respond to questions yesterday.

Meanwhile, opponents of Columbus Center said the disclosure of Winn's payment to Wilkerson raises new concerns about the project, which is angling for money from a federal stimulus bill to help pay for a deck over the turnpike.

Aaron Michelwitz, the constituent services director for House Speaker Sal DiMasi said, "There doesn't seem to be any reason for the public to trust the process surrounding Columbus Center. This is a very hard pill to swallow."

Michelwitz said he intends to run for DiMasi's seat after the speaker's planned resignation today.

The Patrick administration did not rule out any funding for Columbus Center. "Decisions relative to any future public funding - whether state or federal - for any project in the Commonwealth will be based, as always, on merit," spokeswoman Kofi Jones said in a statement.

The California pension fund and its development consultant, MacFarlane Partners, said they will continue to seek a way to move forward with the project.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

What's saddest to me about this whole sorry business is the fact that from the standpoint of the city's health and its urban design, Columbus Center was the most healing and best project proposed for this city since the unmatchable 19th Century developments we all love so much.

Personally, I think CUIP would be smart to break it off with Winn. Even if the donation turns out to be nothing, the climate right now (w/Wilkerson, Turner, Di Masi, Columbus Center in General) could make anything that looks even slightly like pay-to-play or backroom wheeling and dealing look like it is. A few had speculated that the group coming in to do the audit (sorry, I can't remember the name) might eventually take over the project from Winn. Maybe now's the time for CUIP to go for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back