Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Columbus Center

$60m for Columbus Center

By Thomas Grillo
Boston Herald

So am I reading this right? People are unhappy that a site that is currently not generating any tax revenue will, if this proposal goes through, generate some tax revenue that will (for a time?) be returned to the investors and the rest to the city?

Some is more than none, right? I think I don't understand the article.

Is Columbus Center about to get a big wet kiss courtesy of US taxpayers?

Economic stimulus to cost $850 billion: source

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An economic stimulus bill being crafted by Democratic leaders in the U.S. Congress and aides to President-elect Barack Obama will cost about $850 billion, according to a government source.

The source, who asked not to be identified, did not provide other details of the bill, which could be unveiled on Thursday.

But the measure is expected to contain a combination of tax cuts and government financing for construction projects around the country, in addition to aid to states with the goal of creating or maintaining 3 million jobs and halting a year-long economic recession.

(Reporting by Richard Cowan; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)

Is Columbus Center about to get a big wet kiss courtesy of US taxpayers?

Economic stimulus to cost $850 billion: source

California has allegedly halted some highway projects, intending to re-start them with stimulus money. (The state has a huge budget shortfall.)

Columbus Center is certainly a project that could be kick-started in a minute, at least the deck. I could see the Turnpike financing deck construction with stimulus money, and having the developer then pay lease costs for the deck.

. . . So . . . People are unhappy that a site that is currently not generating any tax revenue will . . . generate some tax revenue . . .? Some is more than none, right? . . .

Bbfen doesn?t know why a $60 million DIF upsets people._ Here are 3 reasons.

1. Unnecessary ? The California-owned Columbus Center was proposed and approved based on the developer?s promise ? confirmed by a certified public accountant ? that no public subsidies were necessary._ The CalPERS-CUIP-MURC loan applications show a $346 million profit on $1.2 billion in revenue, without any subsidies at all._ Yet, since being approved as a subsidy-free project in 2003, California has sought at least 17 subsidies totaling $406 million.

2. Costly ? California continues wanting to be excused from paying Massachusetts income taxes and Boston property taxes._ Under the TIF subsidy, most of Columbus Center?s commercial property taxes were waived for two decades, and under the DIF subsidy, California?s $130 million construction loan would be repaid by Boston residents for three decades (the developers would never repay any of the $60 million DIF principal, or the $70 million DIF interest).

Even though the TIF was approved on 10 May 2006, and the DIF was first proposed on 3 July 2008, no elected official has admitted to the total cost of these 4 City Council decisions:

$008 million T.I.F. state income tax break (approved 10 May 2006)
$014 million 19-year T.I.F. city property tax break (approved 10 May 2006)
$035 million tax-free bond loan (approved 5 October 2007)
$130 million D.I.F. repaid over 30 years (announced 3 July 2008)
$187 million

3. Harmful ? A DIF-funded developer never repays any of the DIF principal or accruing interest; the public repays the entire debt, from future municipal resources that today are already earmarked for police officers, firefighters, and schools._ The interest cost sometimes isn?t known until after the last payment is made, decades later._ Finally, the total opportunity cost for society at large is never disclosed.

^ That's all misleading, once again, at best.

TIF and DIF financing is paid by future revenues from a project or district. The calculations are based on additional revenues created, therefore the additional interest and principal liability are covered by the project and adjoining properties (in a DIF). It is a net benefit to the city fiscally.

To say that is costly assumes that it is reallocating tax dollars from other programs or that tax rates must be raised to cover the burden of repaying the issued bonds. Since the debt burden is serviced by the increase is revenue of this project, this is fiscally neutral (at a minimal) to the city and state, and many projects are fiscally positive since less than 100% of future revenues are allocated to servicing the bonds, therefore the surplus flows to the general municipal tax collections pool.

On your last point, you once again leave out the crucial component to mislead. The development DOES repay the pricincipal in debt, with the municipality being the "loan servicer".

For a simplistic view, what you are arguing is that since my mortgage services escrows my property tax payments and then they are the one to pay the city, that I don't pay property taxes, my mortgage servicer does.

And, that is why propaganda is much like a house of cards. If done right, and to a scared, uneducated public, it can work very well. Once someone takes a look at the big bad scary monolith, and realizes it's really made of cards, all one has to do is start taking out the cards that don't really belong (ie. misleading stats and other big political and financial verbiage that most don't understand) the propaganda crumbles.

The best propaganda is made up of 98 - 99% facts, but delivered in such a way as to highlight all the negatives (in this case, others you would push the positives), and hide any positives behind the veil of overwhelming doom. Also, good propaganda is best delivered by smooth talking, eloquent people who seem to be able to relate to the people they are trying to sway. This is where Ned fails. His beat you over the head with facts and figures ad nausium, and his overall condescending tone just do not cut the mustard.

You will never make a great Union leader or dictator Ned, you just don't have it in you. But, on the bright side, that's a positive.

HILARIOUS! Columbus Center is going to get money from the federal government and there's nothing Marty Walz and her gang of fools can do about it! I love it!

Hello, Atlrvr.

Since you work for an equity investor, and take limited partnership positions on dozens of deals a year, and have a controlling ownership stake in every deal, you should have no trouble following this sentence-by-sentence response._ But if you?re unfamiliar with the Massachusetts forms of TIF and DIF, you?ll need to re-read the local statutes first._ And if you?re unfamiliar with the developer?s subsidy applications, you?ll need to re-read those, too._

Other Forum members who are not versed ? or interested ? in this topic may recall that public subsidies to Columbus Center?s subsidy-free proposal lie at the heart of the 14-year public controversy._ California?s failure to get subsidies to pay their costs and profits also lies at the heart of the fall 2007 decisions by the California-based owners and investors to halt funding altogether._ California?s unwillingness to replace the missing subsidies with its own cash is one of the reasons that the proposal has never qualified for any commercial loans.

TIF and DIF financing is paid by future revenues from a project or district.

No, they?re not._ Firstly, TIF and DIF financing are different from each other, and Massachusetts TIF and DIF are different from other states._ Secondly, there?s no such thing as repayment that is merely ?from a project/district.?_ Thirdly, all taxes come from a property?s prior owner, current owner, or future owner, and all tax subsidies are paid by taxpayers other than the owner of the subsidized property._ Pre-sale taxation during developer construction is not the same as post-sale taxation during condominium owner-occupancy._ Finally, taxes lost via a 19-year TIF are never recouped from anyone; the city loses them forever, and taxes lost via a 30-year DIF (which collects full taxes but diverts them to repay a developer?s bond loan) are never recouped from anyone, either; the city loses them forever, too._

The calculations are based on additional revenues created, therefore the additional interest and principal liability are covered by the project and adjoining properties (in a DIF).

No._ The pre-DIF taxes and the post-DIF taxes are both billed at normal tax rates._ Whenever a developer?s bond loan has to be ?covered? (re-paid) by post-DIF tax revenue, the remaining revenue going to the municipality is less than normal, and thus cheats the municipality and all its taxpayers._ The full tax revenue gets billed, but the city loses significant portions of everything collected for 30 years, leaving the shortfall to be made up by reduced services and/or tax increases.

It is a net benefit to the city fiscally.

No, it isn?t._ Just because a city collects slightly more tax revenue than it used to collect does not mean that the amount collected is a ?net benefit.?_ Yes, the increased revenue is greater than the former revenue in absolute dollars, but the increased revenue remains far short of what normal tax rates would produce from a given property for 30 years if the normal taxes weren?t being kidnapped to repay a developer loan._ For those decades, that shortfall cheats all other taxpayers in the DIF municipality by resulting in reduced services and/or increased taxes.

To say that is costly assumes that it is reallocating tax dollars from other programs or that tax rates must be raised to cover the burden of repaying the issued bonds.

No, it doesn?t assume either reallocation or increased rates._ A developer subsidy can be costly even without reallocating dollars from other programs or raising tax rates._ Whenever a TIF or DIF collects fewer tax dollars than normal, and those dollars aren?t made up in any other way, and tax rates aren?t raised, that leaves a municipality with fewer tax dollars than called for, which is very expensive in terms of reduced services and permanent opportunity costs.

Since the debt burden is serviced by the increase is revenue of this project, this is fiscally neutral (at a minimal) to the city and state . . .

No, it isn?t._ The type of tax revenue used to repay a developer?s debt ? whether pre-subsidy or post-subsidy ? is irrelevant, because whenever any developer debt is repaid from any property tax revenue, the city loses that revenue, and whenever any state income tax is waived, the state loses that revenue.

. . . many projects are fiscally positive since less than 100% of future revenues are allocated to servicing the bonds, therefore the surplus flows to the general municipal tax collections pool.

No._ No project can be ?fiscally positive? if it results in any tax revenues being lost, to any source, for any purpose._ What you call ?surplus? is not a surplus at all; it is nothing but the leftovers, after subtracting the developer?s bond repayment._ Without DIF, all taxes collected go to the municipality; with DIF, only the leftovers do.

The development DOES repay the pricincipal in debt, with the municipality being the "loan servicer".

No, it does not._ Look at the Columbus Center DIF to see why._ The ?development? exists in two incarnations._ When owned and under construction by CalPERS-CUIP-MURC, the development pays no taxes because the property has never paid any taxes, and it still has no value._ When owned and occupied by the 1 hotel condominium, the 633 parking space condominiums, and the 443 residential condominiums, the 19-year TIF excuses the development to not pay millions of dollars in taxes, and the 30-year DIF causes the development to remit millions of dollars in other taxes which get kidnapped to repay the developer?s loan instead of going into City coffers.

. . . you are arguing that since my mortgage services escrows my property tax payments and then they are the one to pay the city, that I don't pay property taxes, my mortgage servicer does.

No._ No one made that argument. _ But using your example, you now pay all your property taxes to your mortgage company, and they deliver all your property taxes to your municipality, and all those taxes go into the general fund for police, fire, and schools, just as everyone else?s taxes do, which is as it should be._ But if you move into a DIF-sponsored Columbus Center, then you will pay all your property taxes, at full rates, to your mortgage company, and they will deliver those funds to the City, but they get kidnapped to repay the developer?s $130 million bond loan including interest, and those taxes from you will never reach the City treasury._ So the DIF cheats the City and all its taxpayers out of the normal tax revenue associated with your property, as it does at all DIF-funded properties._ That revenue is permanently lost across 30 years, and is never recouped.

In summary, Massachusetts TIFs and DIFs are gifts to developers that cost the public dearly, each in a different way._ TIF subsidies waive millions of the developer?s state income taxes, and millions more in future owners? city property taxes for up to 19 years, whereas DIF subsidies collect full taxes, but divert them away from City coffers to re-pay a developer?s debt for 30 years._ TIF waives taxes, and DIF kidnaps them, but both subsidies deprive government of normal tax revenue, starve public services without reducing their workloads, and create pressure for higher tax rates.

A TIF waives taxes and never collects them, and a DIF collects them but uses them to repay a developer?s debt instead of funding the municipality._ Either way, government services and all taxpayers are cheated.

This cheating is especially stark at Columbus Center, where the project was proposed as ? and proved by a Certified Public Accountant to be ? subsidy-free and very profitable._ No public audit of the costs, revenues, profits, and subsidies has ever shown any need for any subsidy per the Commonwealth?s GAGAS (Generally Accepted Government Accounting Standards).

Last edited:

Ned, McFly up there just told you not to go sentence by sentence and beat us over the head with facts and figures. Yet you did. Just never learn, eh?

Here's something to chew on-nothing you can say, do, or present in front of me will make me think that Columbus Center is a bad proposal. Architecturally boring, perhaps. Anti-urban, perhaps. But bad for the city? No.

Why are we arguing with Ned? No matter what we do, he will continue to stay negative Ned. All he thinks about is doing everything strictly by the book, no excuses, no exemption. He wants a developer that gains no profit from building this, otherwise, he will deem that developer greedy. He has no idea how a capital market works in which a company strives to get as much profit as possible. He criticizes the moves a project makes to gain progress without critizicing how he and his fellow pessimistic followers are the reason why these project makes these moves. Ned and his followers want a tower that includes a park, an advanced ventilation system which I might add have not been employed anywhere as of yet, does not create shadows, block views, and to top it off, have the developers create excessive amount of meetings that not only waste time and money, but require that the developers do not make any profit (because by doing so will constitute that they are greedy pigs) and at the same time, do not receive federal aid for a costly and large project.

Ned wants wants wants, not ever gives gives gives. When CC included a park, they complained. They complained about wanting to get new developers. They complained when they got a new developer.

Ned, McFly up there just told you not to go sentence by sentence and beat us over the head with facts and figures. Yet you did. Just never learn, eh?

Here's something to chew on-nothing you can say, do, or present in front of me will make me think that Columbus Center is a bad proposal. Architecturally boring, perhaps. Anti-urban, perhaps. But bad for the city? No.

Not even anti-urban, in fact this is one of the most urban proposals ever in modern Boston! It truly creates 4 new blocks of real urbanity seamlessly linking to the very urban neighborhoods surrounding it (of course, if the "activists" really want a park, we can just demolish Ned's house and build one there). Seems like if this bailout goes through, we'll see a magnificent project go through, casting shadows and emitting UFPs directly to Ned's house :D! And of course, you (nor anyone else) won't move when it happens, because you don't actually believe any of the bullshit you spew, because would you really want you or your kids (if you have one/them) to die 30 years early just to make a political statement on a message board few read? Obviously you'll take your chances, because people have been staying in the Intercontinental, living near the Greenway, and living in much more polluted cities than Boston with no ill health effects whatsoever, and if there were, it would be all over the news! So just pulling out some mythical "UFP" disease out of your ass doesn't actually make it true, because there aren't even any reports of anyone dying or being sickened by them. I'm done pretending to be nice to this noble and principled individual. Besides, you haven't given us full disclosure of your full name, unlike Mr. Keith. Do you want to tell us your middle name? Because we really want to know, and it will be in the best interests of full disclosure that you profess to love. We'd also like to know your job, what vehicles you own, what political contributions you have made, and what money you have received for the Alliance of Boston Neighborhoods. This will not hurt you, only help all of us and you can set an example by telling us your full middle name, which some of us might then follow your principled stand!

Last edited:

if the "activists" really want a park, we can just demolish Ned's house and build one there

All for this - Ned's lot does seem to be a disproportionately loud and angry part of the city; it could use the peace and quiet.

Take it to his neighbors; they've never met a park they didn't like.

In summary, Massachusetts TIFs and DIFs are gifts to developers that cost the public dearly, each in a different way._ TIF subsidies waive millions of the developer?s state income taxes, and millions more in future owners? city property taxes for up to 19 years

This statement, to the extent it comments on what the law provides, is inaccurate. Tax Incremental Financing ("TIF") programs are authorized by M.G.L.c. 40, s. 59. I encourage each of you to read the statute for an exact understanding of its meaning. For those of you who prefer a summary as pertinent to Ned's statement cited above, the law provides as follows. The City Council is authorized to vote upon and adopt a TIF plan. That plan may designate an area or areas as TIF zones. Regarding new construction in a TIF zone, the city is authorized to grant an exemption from property taxes for a specified term of up to 20 years. The exemption is expressed as a percentage for each of the year of the term of the agreement. The exemption percentages and term of exemption is set out in a document called a TIF agreement. This agreement, which is negotiated between the party seeking it and the City, includes other terms such as required job creation and specification of the improvements.

I have worked on a large number of TIF agreements. I have heard every policy argument for and against them. Generally, it comes down a question of how many jobs will be created.

The question of forgoing property tax usually doesn't hold much significance. This is because the property tax that is being exempted is ONLY assessed upon the new construction, construction that ofttimes that wouldn't occur without the TIF agreement. In other words, you aren't waiving what you otherwise wouldn't get. No new construction, no new tax to waive. As the percentage of the exemption declines from 100% to 0% over the term of the TIF agreement, you are getting more than you would otherwise had.

So, in this case, I suppose the policy makers will have to decide whether jobs will be created (and if there are enough to merit an agreement), and if any project could be built here without a TIF agreement. If yes, the subsidiary question is whether the fully taxable property of this alternative development would yield more property tax than a TIF project would, both during the 20 year period AND after the conclusion of the 20 (or lesser) year period.

You decide. I'm deciding to go over to the Taj for a pop.

^^I think it only covers national campaigns, plus it's pretty easy to cover your tracks if you are inclined to.

All for this - Ned's lot does seem to be a disproportionately loud and angry part of the city; it could use the peace and quiet.

Take it to his neighbors; they've never met a park they didn't like.

I have to agree. Ned's property is clearly loud, obnoxius urban blight. The BRA should take it by eminent domain just to quiet the neighborhood. Funding for Columbus Center is wonderful, but a nice quiet park instead of Ned is PRICELESS!

Always donate through a company or a trust if you really want to keep your address off those stupid things.

[size=+2]Public funds for private projects[/size]

Boston Globe, 24 January 2009

Public-funds-for-private-projects.jpg

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e.../2009/01/24/public_funds_for_public_projects/

Ned:

Obama wants states to use the stimulus for infrastructure projects. What better way for the state to spend money than on the deck for Columbus Center? Immediate job creation by the state to build the deck, and when it's finished, the developer creating jobs for construction of the buildings. And THEN, more residences and stores and facilities, further boosting the economy. And, the "no money without local support" doesn't apply, because you and your select few are the only ones who don't want this to go through.

Except that the resulting project, once finished, doesn't do much in the way of job creation. I'm not saying it's a bad project, but I suspect there are better ones if that's your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back