Commonwealth Avenue Improvement Project

Really? Doesn't look like much to me. Maybe I'll have to wait until completion, but BU was ugly before and it's still ugly now.

It's pretty much completed--if it "doesn't look like much" to you then it's hard to believe you paid a whole lot of attention to how it looked before the improvements.

It's pretty much completed--if it "doesn't look like much" to you then it's hard to believe you paid a whole lot of attention to how it looked before the improvements.

Well, I've taught at BU since 2004. I don't see much that was worth the time, cost, and effort. Whoopdeedoo, they planted some trees.

The music didn't suck either: first place The Police played in the States; first place The Pixies EVER played.

Regarding the Rat: Never had a chance to make it to the Rat as it was only open for a few years after I moved to Boston. I remember one afternoon walking with a friend through the old Kenmore Sq. and the friend recognized Frank Black from the Pixies standing out in front of the Rat. He said "Hi Frank." Frank looked right at us and started growling and barking at us like a junkyard dog. I'm sorry now I never went - it was a piece of the old Kenmore Sq.

Ron - Eastern Standard is a French Brasserie type restaurant with a large bar.

^^^^ Hahahaha!
P.S. The Rat was pretty hot, if you liked great music and cheap beer. And I do. And it didn't suck!

I'm as big a Queers fan as anyone, but the city wanted to upscale the area and make KS essentially an extension of The Back Bay. Once the bus station is done I'd say that's probably what will have been accomplished.

the city wanted to upscale the area and make KS essentially an extension of The Back Bay. Once the bus station is done I'd say that's probably what will have been accomplished.

A conversation overheard at the new "Back Bay Bus Station":

"I say, driver! Will this No. 10 bus take me to the St. Botolph Club?"

"No, sir. The No. 10 only goes as far as the Algonquin Club."

"Gad! That place is a club! I thought it was a public urinal!"

I'm as big a Queers fan as anyone, but the city wanted to upscale the area and make KS essentially an extension of The Back Bay. Once the bus station is done I'd say that's probably what will have been accomplished.

Excuse me? What do "Queers" have to do with decisions the city made re: Kenmore Sq.?

You're way outta line.

Excuse me? What do "Queers" have to do with decisions the city made re: Kenmore Sq.?

You're way outta line.

Jeesus, dude.

Yikes. The Queers are a legendary punk band that immortalized the Rathskeller in a 1994 song called "I Met Her at the Rat." Now that the Rat is closed they play at TT's and the Middle East, but they always end a Boston show with that song.

A conversation overheard at the new "Back Bay Bus Station":

"I say, driver! Will this No. 10 bus take me to the St. Botolph Club?"

"No, sir. The No. 10 only goes as far as the Algonquin Club."

"Gad! That place is a club! I thought it was a public urinal!"

I think what I meant is that "once Kemore Square is free of construction debris." At least the south end of Kenmore is pretty upscale: Eastern Standard, Great Bay, Foundation Lounge, the luxury car rental place, the chocolatier, the expensive wine shop, the belgian pastry shop, etc.

At least the south end of Kenmore is pretty upscale: Eastern Standard, Great Bay, Foundation Lounge, the luxury car rental place, the chocolatier, the expensive wine shop, the belgian pastry shop, etc.

Why is this desirable? The previous buildings on this block were always busy and never had vacancies for very long.

Well, I've taught at BU since 2004. I don't see much that was worth the time, cost, and effort. Whoopdeedoo, they planted some trees.

In addition to planting some trees --

"When finished, the project's enhancements will include; improvements and modifications to sidewalk and crosswalk widths; the creation of neck downs at intersections to shorten pedestrian crossing distances; and traffic calming measures designed to reduce vehicular travel speeds and improve overall pedestrian safety. The roadway improvements will minimize traffic congestion and increase pedestrian safety. Traffic flow will be improved by two changes in the present roadway. A westbound traffic lane will be removed from Commonwealth Avenue and an additional turning lane will be added at the intersection of Commonwealth Avenue and the Boston University Bridge. Safety will also be improved through the installation of new traffic signaling, pedestrian access, and articulated crosswalks. Also the MBTA stations will be expanded to provide more gathering and waiting space.

In addition to the infrastructure enhancements, the University?s main thoroughfare will be significantly beautified with presence of new trees, shrubs, plantings and flora, attractive lighting, street furniture, raised planters, and sidewalk pavement treatments, reflecting the boulevard character of Commonwealth Avenue."

http://www.bu.edu/cap/overview/index.html

I remember one afternoon walking with a friend through the old Kenmore Sq. and the friend recognized Frank Black from the Pixies standing out in front of the Rat. He said "Hi Frank." Frank looked right at us and started growling and barking at us like a junkyard dog. I'm sorry now I never went - it was a piece of the old Kenmore Sq.

Hahaha, I can totally picture Francis standing outside having a cig and barking at whoever dares recognize him. Hilarious!

Time to put Surfer Rosa on!

Classic story! Perhaps you should have called him Charles, commuter guy.

I think what I meant is that "once Kemore Square is free of construction debris." At least the south end of Kenmore is pretty upscale: Eastern Standard, Great Bay, Foundation Lounge, the luxury car rental place, the chocolatier, the expensive wine shop, the belgian pastry shop, etc.

I think I know what you mean.

Nonetheless, the retail roll call sounds like the Burlington Mall ("you got your Cheesecake Factory, Joe's American Bar and Grill, Domain, Mr. Sid's, Woburn Jaguar nearby...", everything that is encroaching like a parasite onto Newbury St.!)

Think about your description of the "improvements", so unconsciously redolent of faux urbanity: "upscale", "luxury", "chocolatier", "Belgian pastry", and Toby's archfoe, "expensive wine".

Sorry. Back Bay ends at the east bank of the Muddy River, pop up cardboard hotel or not.

I remember one afternoon walking with a friend through the old Kenmore Sq. and the friend recognized Frank Black from the Pixies standing out in front of the Rat. He said "Hi Frank." Frank looked right at us and started growling and barking at us like a junkyard dog.

Classic! My first trip to Boston was when I was in high school, for the Head of the Charles, and my friend and I ran into him in Newbury Comics in Harvard Sq., where he was playing an in-store with They Might Be Giants, in support of Teenager of the Year. Afterwards someone asked if he could rub Charles' head, and he snapped back "no you can't touch my fucking head." Also my friend, whose nickname was Alien, asked if a poster could be signed "to Alien". Francis/Frank/Charles drew the Communion alien in sharpie and wrote "No such thing as aliens... -Frank Black".

I was 10 when 'The Rat' closed down, so needless to say it was not one of my formative influences. Nevertheless, you guys piqued my interest so I started to do some research.

This is what I came up with, and I guarantee that it will be well worth your time (LOL). I'd have to characterize it as fairly NSFW - if only for the sheer douchbaggery of our host, Dana Hersey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymPiVv-ArdE

Wow! Thanks! I was ready to order a couple of Pickwick Ales.

Kenmore looks like a fun place to be a driver

Comm Ave bike lane press event next week:

Dear Friends of Mayor Menino?s Bicycle Program,

I would like to invite you to attend the Mayor?s Bicycling Press Announcement on Tuesday 8/5 at 11:00 AM. Details are as follows.

Tuesday August 5th
11:00 AM
640 Commonwealth Ave
Courtyard, BU School of Communications
Topics: Commonwealth Avenue Bike Lanes, Rack installations?and one item yet to be announced.

Please feel free to invite cycling friends and family, and bring your bikes, of course.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Keep smiling,

Nicole Freedman
Director of Bicycle Programs
One City Hall Square, Suite 932
Boston, MA 02201
Nicole.Freedman.bra@CityofBoston.gov

Back