Commuter Rail to New Hampshire?

The perfeered location for south Nashua is at the pheasant lane mall in the NHDOT slide deck.

I don't think it would be hard to get Simon on board. It makes their land more valueable for TOD, and the station would be right next to what's currently a vacant sears building.

My bad! I was looking at some old slides from earlier in the thread!

They are the three largest cities in the state within 50 miles without rail. (Not even commuter rail: Revere and Brookline [technically a town] have no CR stops, and Somerville only has a sliver of the Porter CR platform.)

For the record, here are municipalities (or obvious pairs) within plausible CR range of Boston with their distance, population, last time they had commuter rail service, and route. Bolded cities have a station under construction, underlined have an existing Amtrak station, and italicized are those more likely to be served by rapid transit. Distances are between city halls as the crow flies; rail distances are typically 10-15% higher. Populations are above 30k, plus some perennial proposals. Last service is when the municipality last had local stop commuter service (short-lived services noted); most RI locations except Pawtucket never had many commuters to Boston. Crossed-out routes are abandoned; italicized are infill stops on active CR lines. A few cities (East Providence, North Providence, Dracut, etc) where the closest possible stop is in an already-served nearby city are mostly omitted. The I-91 corridor cities, at ~80 miles from Boston, are also omitted.

LocationDistancePopulationLast serviceLine
New Bedford + Fairhaven50117k1958South Coast Rail
Manchester NH48115k1967 (1981)NH Main Line
Nashua NH + Hudson NH35115k1967 (1981)NH Main Line
Fall River + Somerset46112k1958South Coast Rail
Pawtucket RI + Central Falls RI3798k1981*NEC
Cranston RI4483k1930sNEC
Revere462k1958**Eastern Route
Derry NH + Londonderry NH3960k1953Manchester and Lawrence
Taunton3259k1958South Coast Rail
Peabody1355k1958Essex
Methuen2653k1953Manchester and Lawrence
Barnstable6349k1959 (1988)Cape Main Line
Everett349k1958Eastern Route
Arlington646k1977Lexington Branch
Concord NH6344k1967 (1981)NH Main Line
Woonsocket RI3443k1956*P&W
Marlborough2542k1939**Agricultural Branch
NH Seacoast towns*4237k1967Eastern Route
Chelmsford2236k1967NH Main Line
Coventry RI5336k1930Washington Secondary
Cumberland RI3636k1957*P&W
Watertown635k1938Watertown Branch
Dartmouth5134k1919Watuppa Branch
Lexington1134k1977Lexington Branch
Dover NH5933k1967Western Route
Falmouth6032k1959 (1988)Falmouth Branch
Portsmouth NH + Kittery ME5232k1967Eastern Route
Rochester NH6532k1930s*Ossipee Branch
North Andover2431k1974Western Route
South Kingston RI6731k1977NEC
Tewksbury2031k1965**NH Main Line
West Warwick RI5131k1933Washington Secondary
Milford2830k1959**Franklin
Salem NH3030k1953Manchester and Lawrence
Saugus729k1958Saugus Branch
Danvers1628k1958Essex
Merrimack NH4127k1959 (1981)NH Main Line
Yarmouth6225k1959Cape Main Line
Wareham4323k1959 (1988)Cape Main Line
Gardner5021k1960 (1987)Fitchburg Route
Bourne4820k1959 (1988)Cape Main Line
Sandwich5020k1959 (1988)Cape Main Line
Foxboro2319k1977** (2020)Framingham Secondary
Bellingham2917k1938 (1940)**Franklin
Exeter NH4316k1967Western Route
Northborough3016k1931Agricultural Branch
Clinton3215k1958 (1960)**Agricultural Branch
Durham NH5415k1967Western Route
Atkinson NH + Plaistow NH3314k1967Western Route
Tyngsborough2912k1959NH Main Line
Salisbury359k1959Eastern Route

* Notes:
  • South Attleboro station, just over the state line, opened in 1990. A downtown Pawtucket/Central Falls station will open later this year.
  • Direct Boston-Woonsocket service over the Millis Branch ended in 1930. Boston–Blackstone service ran until 1966.
  • NH Seacoast towns = Seabrook, Hampton Falls, Hampton, North Hampton, Rye. Anywhere from 1 to 4 stations could be added if Portsmouth service resumed. Hampton Falls and Breakfast Hill (in Rye) closed in the 1930s, Atlantic and Seabrook closed in the 1950s, and Hampton and North Hampton lasted until the 1967 end of Portsmouth service.
  • Boston–Cumberland service (at Valley Falls) ended in 1930.
  • Rochester had rail service until 1961, with multiple daily trains until the 1950s, but commuter-suitable schedules ended in the 1930s.
** Notes (last service was on a different line)
  • Linden station on the Saugus Branch was closed in 1958. The Eastern Route station at Revere was closed around 1956.
  • Marlborough service via the Agricultural Branch ended in 1937. B&M Marlboro Branch service ran via South Acton until 1932, then as a Central Mass branch until 1939.
  • East Billerica station, just over the Billerica border on the Western Route, closed in 1965. It would be the mostly likely spot for resumed Tewksbury service. Local Lowell–Lawrence service through Tewksbury ended around 1930.
  • East Foxboro on the NEC, with one daily round trip a day, was closed in 1977. Prior to the 2019-2020 pilot, the last service to Foxboro on the Framingham Secondary was in 1933.
  • Ashland–Bellingham–Milford–Franklin service ended in 1920. Milford–Boston service via Framingham lasted until 1959. Franklin–Bellingham Junction–Millis–Boston ran from 1926 to 1938, and briefly in 1940.
  • Agricultural Branch service to Clinton ended in 1931. Worcester–Clinton–Ayer local service ran until 1953, plus a few months in 1960. Boston–Clinton service via the Central Mass (using a short section of the Worcester–Ayer line) ran until 1958.

They are the three largest cities in the state within 50 miles without rail. (Not even commuter rail: Revere and Brookline [technically a town] have no CR stops, and Somerville only has a sliver of the Porter CR platform.)

And if the T's own presentation had just said that we wouldn't be having this conversation, but they couldn't even get that right.

(Though I'll happily take it as a catalyst for fascinating and detailed posts like yours, so thank you for that.)

Manchester will likely be a more valuable extension for several reasons

Let's hope that the recent effort to bring Commuter Rail service to New Hampshire is actually successful this time. During one of the virtual public meetings a few months ago, it was suggested that service could possibly begin in the latter half of this decade if major planning milestones were met and funding was provided for the project within the next two years. Construction was anticipated to last three years.

Service to Nashua and Manchester is New Hampshire's problem so let them pony up. As a Mass taxpayer I'm much happier to see the MBTA prioritize extensions to my fellow Bay State citizens.

Service to Nashua and Manchester is New Hampshire's problem so let them pony up. As a Mass taxpayer I'm much happier to see the MBTA prioritize extensions to my fellow Bay State citizens.

Of course it would be New Hampshire's responsibility to fund and construct the extension within NH, I don't think there was ever any expectation that Massachusetts taxpayers would be funding track rehabilitation or station construction within NH itself; IIRC even some rolling stock (don't remember if it was coaches, locomotives, or both) was to be purchased by NH for the extension. The most that MA would have to do would be track upgrades and probably some double tracking between Lowell and the state line, which isn't too much of an ask at all considering how there would likely be some intermediate stops within MA itself between Lowell and Nashua (such as UMass Lowell, North Chelmsford, and maybe Tyngsborough, although that one is definitely better suited as a post-extension infill stop).

Besides, state borders shouldn't be that important when it comes to transportation projects, aside from funding and political agreements (like the Pilgrim Agreement between MA and RI). People who live in NH and commute or travel to MA are still going to be contributing to traffic in MA regardless of what state they pay taxes in. New Hampshire Commuter Rail service would be beneficial to both NH and MA.

Honestly? I'd be happy with MA footing the entire bill for the construction. We've got the money, the experience and the relationships with proven contractors to build a hypothetical CR service faster than NH could.

Honestly? I'd be happy with MA footing the entire bill for the construction. We've got the money, the experience and the relationships with proven contractors to build a hypothetical CR service faster than NH could.

Gotta respectfully disagree here which is why I brought it up in the first place. Mass taxpayers should not pay for NH transit. That's their problem. We should be funding Mass based projects of which we have plenty to choose from. Putting aside the political realities for a second, why shouldn't NH or RI accept the responsibility of funding a project that primarily benefits themselves??? Let some other state play Santa Claus.

Gott
Gotta respectfully disagree here which is why I brought it up in the first place. Mass taxpayers should not pay for NH transit. That's their problem. We should be funding Mass based projects of which we have plenty to choose from.
And I would bet for half the price

Gotta respectfully disagree here which is why I brought it up in the first place. Mass taxpayers should not pay for NH transit. That's their problem. We should be funding Mass based projects of which we have plenty to choose from.

I don't disagree with the principle, though I would note that there are or could be instances where the benefit to Massachusetts is greater than the cost, for instance if CR encouraged more people to commute to work in MA and resulted in increased economic activity (and therefore tax revenue). Obviously it would be ideal if NH paid for its fair share, but they haven't and can't be reliably counted on to do so anytime soon, so we effectively could be faced with a choice of no extension (and no benefit) or paying for it ourselves. (I want to be clear, I don't know that a NH extension would be a profitable value proposition for MA, and I kind of doubt it, just pointing out that there are times when paying for things fully or partially outside the state could be net-positive value to the state.)

It's also worth noting that the MBTA would majorly benefit from NH commuter rail because a much-needed layover yard is planned to be constructed as part of the extension. I personally wouldn't have a problem with MA funding an extension from Lowell to Nashua, but any extension past Nashua should be New Hampshire's responsibility.

Last edited:
I think the discussion of paying for other state's transit extensions because it would be a net positive for Mass belongs more in the Crazy Transit Pitches thread and not this one. ;). However if anyone would like to do so perhaps a GoFundMe can be set up for with NH as the beneficiary?

NH is getting $125 million in formula transit funding under the BIL bill. What else are they going to spend it on? NH doesn’t have a particularly robust transit system to begin with. Per the 2014 study, the Manchester CR option complete from Lowell to Manchester will cost $143 million (2014 dollars), including $33m in rolling stock and $18 MBTA in trackage rights, excluding contingencies and allowances. (with them, it’s $245.6m.)

Given that the 2021 public meeting says no additional rolling stock or locomotives, and trackage rights are “free” since the MBTA already owns them, $92m escalated to 2022 is ~$110m, while not accounting for MassDOT contributions from Lowell to the Stateline. NHDOT will almost certainly have the capital money to build the thing - it’s whether or not they have the appetite to fund the ongoing O&M.

All that said… it’s notable that Capitol Corridor is completely absent from the draft 2023-2033 10 year TIP.

Last edited:
I just found the notes on my computer which I took during last November's virtual public meeting about the extension. Per the notes I took, New Hampshire plans to purchase 12 coaches for the extension (if it happens), but they do not plan on acquiring any locomotives.

I'll try to find the official presentation from the meeting later today so that I can provide an official source.

I'll try to find the official presentation from the meeting later today so that I can provide an official source.
The Meeting presentation doesn’t say anything about it, but the meeting minutes had the following: (page 5, question 5)
2826CCE6-4DCE-4D03-8B3E-EF7945112BF3.jpeg

Also, mods, can we move this entire digression to either the Regional New England Rail thread or the CR to NH thread?

The Meeting presentation doesn’t say anything about it, but the meeting minutes had the following: (page 5, question 5)
View attachment 21895
Also, mods, can we move this entire digression to either the Regional New England Rail thread or the CR to NH thread?

That's interesting, I remember one of the presenters mentioning it during the presentation. If there's another virtual meeting about it I will certainly inquire about it, or maybe I could just send them an email.

Although not from the recent public meeting, the November 2014 Alternatives Analysis suggests that there had been consideration into procuring new rolling stock for the extension.

Up to 12 coaches and one locomotive would be added to the MBTA’s weekday line-up of equipment for one new seven-car train and five additional coaches on existing consists assigned to the service.
(Pages 57, 58 & 59)

I'd be curious as to why there is no longer a need to procure additional rolling stock for the extension.

The November 2014 Alternatives Analysis included this interesting graph of the proposed speed limits on the Capitol Corridor. It's worth noting that this was from when the extension was planned as far as Concord.
max speeds.PNG

(Page 93)

(I posted this here instead of the SCR thread because this discussion is obviously better suited for this thread)

I'd be curious as to why there is no longer a need to procure additional rolling stock for the extension.

Chances are the projections have been refactored for the planned purge of single-level coaches, and higher seating capacity per coach. With locos and cab cars squared by the increased number of rebuilds (including bringing the few mothballed GP40MC's back into service), and the cab ratios being increased to almost 50/50 in the ongoing 83-car Rotem order. The ratios of "future" flats to bi's looked a lot different 10 years ago for new service/extension starts than it does now.

Nothing's set in stone, however. If the next big coach order does 2x2 instead of 3x2 seating (fair odds given what vendors would be bidding what makes), they might need to pad out the unit numbers again.

Back