Condo + Retail Project | 124-126 Salem Street | North End

Yea, and if those circular things were maybe a wee bit thicker, maybe not, but an off white or something it might've worked. Contrast is key.

I have a strong feeling that this railing is not done. It feels like there is supposed to be second layer of this filigree work that will close up some of those larger holes and add more detail.

But then again I have absolutely no basis for this except a hunch and a basic knowledge of design.

I have a strong feeling that this railing is not done. It feels like there is supposed to be second layer of this filigree work that will close up some of those larger holes and add more detail.

But then again I have absolutely no basis for this except a hunch and a basic knowledge of design.

I'll agree. The railing looks too flimsy to support an adult leaning against it, particularly after five+ years of weathering deteriorate the fastenings.

Re: 124-126 Salem Street

To be fair, this looked like it had some potential.

2013-10-NEWRA-ZLC-Meeting-re-124-126-Salem-St-5.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 124-126 Salem Street

To be fair, this looked like it had some potential.

Agreed. The railing in the rendering is a lot more interesting and thoughtful--it looks like a riff on earlier railings. The one that was installed seems out of scale for the building.

And typically I really like blond brick but I'm not sure it's working as well as it could in this installation--the building has gotten oddly flat and simplistic. It's a shame because KVA can do good work.

I'm pretty sure those are not up to code either. Some of those openings are huge.

Last edited:
Powerfully terrible railings that looks like concertina wire.

And the white frames don't play well with the light/yellow brick either.

The whole thing is embarrassing.

Overall significantly different than any renders posted on this forum: white brick instead of red is a big change. And the renders have the balconies bumping out over the street, subtly referencing the fire escape on the neighboring building. Instead, the balconies never go past the plane of the building's exterior. I'm thinking, as others above have written, that there may be a missing element on the exterior at this point. An as-yet-uninstalled grate system or something.

Lots of places to hang underwear and socks out to dry! And I thought the Lukas was bad.

Makes me think of Columbia Point of the late 60's early 70's. Just blast "On the Corner" or "Jack Johnson" and maybe you're there too

I like it. It doesn't really work, but its different. Boston needs more of that.

Overall significantly different than any renders posted on this forum: white brick instead of red is a big change. And the renders have the balconies bumping out over the street, subtly referencing the fire escape on the neighboring building. Instead, the balconies never go past the plane of the building's exterior. I'm thinking, as others above have written, that there may be a missing element on the exterior at this point. An as-yet-uninstalled grate system or something.

Different, and much cheaper (and worse) looking.

It's like an expensive take on derelict.

the renders have the balconies bumping out over the street, subtly referencing the fire escape on the neighboring building. Instead, the balconies never go past the plane of the building's exterior.
The City charges for 'Vertical Discontinuance' through the PIC process for anything above the public way. The developer probably decided it wasnt worth the cost.

Not sure if this has been said but I believe Carmellinas is moving from Hanover to this building.

Comparing these pics to the set BeeLine posted on March 17, I cannot see a hint of evidence of any progress.

ETA: hell, even the one sign on the construction fencing that was hanging crookedly back then, is still hanging crookedly now. I mean, if I hadn't been on this site long enough to know how diligent BeeLine is about posting new shots, I'd think he accidentally clicked on an old set. (And to be clear, I am not sarcastically hinting at that: the cars in front are different, so I can see that these really are different pictures. But the building sure as hell looks exactly the same.)

Okay, glass is in to prevent people (kids) from falling through the metal. It still looks like a hot mess.

Back