Condo + Retail Project | 124-126 Salem Street | North End

Hutchison

Reaction score
124-126 Salem Street

Both North End / Waterfront neighborhood groups supported Collin Yip and his plan to develop 124-126 Salem Street with a five story building in what is now a 13-space parking lot. The new building will include nine condominium units with commercial (restaurant or retail) space on the first floor.

The members of the Residents’ Association (NEWRA) voted 26-5 on January 9th and the representatives on the Neighborhood Council (NEWNC) voted 8-3 on January 13th.

A major change in the proposal from the initial round of meetings was the decision not to include parking, but rather enlarge the commercial space on the Salem Street ground floor

Renderings in videos posted at: http://northendwaterfront.com/2014/...lem-street-building-development-sans-parking/

Re: 124-126 Salem Street

2013-10-NEWRA-ZLC-Meeting-re-124-126-Salem-St-23.jpg

2013-10-NEWRA-ZLC-Meeting-re-124-126-Salem-St-8.jpg

2013-10-NEWRA-ZLC-Meeting-re-124-126-Salem-St-5.jpg

Hey, that's great news. And here I was thinking that the North End had been taken over by parking NIMBYs (nevermind that a supermajority of residents don't have cars).

Am I missing something? The rendering shows a garage entrance but the article says that part of the project was eliminated. Have they just not updated the rendering or is that gate for deliveries?

When you look at the site on google street view, it sucks for the people in the building next to it who are about to be looking out their window at brick wall. Oh well

Am I missing something? The rendering shows a garage entrance but the article says that part of the project was eliminated. Have they just not updated the rendering or is that gate for deliveries?

When you look at the site on google street view, it sucks for the people in the building next to it who are about to be looking out their window at brick wall. Oh well

The renderings are from an article about two or three months ago. It looks like they were showing off new renderings at the meeting this week, but I can't get a clear shot of them from the youtube video.

Buildings with windows in the party wall are always subject to being filled in. It sucks, yes, but it is the reality of living in a connected urban fabric.

cca

There is presently a cement truck parked in the middle of Salem St and a crew pouring on top of the single-story steel structure. That steel was up in goldenretrievers' post from three months ago. I'm happy to see progress, but what's taking so long?

It's probably site constraints slowing things down. At least that is my best guess.

It's probably the sound of my ex girlfriend's voice a couple streets over scaring off the construction workers. It travels city blocks leaving no prisoners

I love the styling on this one. It's bold and modern yet maintains the historic consistency of the neighborhood. Granted some might bash it for being too "flashy" for the North End, but I don't agree with that. It stands out but in a good way. This is what good urban infill looks like - Somerville should take note given how many key lots on main streets are being wasted on stuff that seems designed to blend in and not be noticed at all.

Granted the North End is a pricier market so I'm sure that factors into the budget for this kinda thing, and renders are just that so who knows how it will look when completed.

I love the styling on this one. It's bold and modern yet maintains the historic consistency of the neighborhood. Granted some might bash it for being too "flashy" for the North End, but I don't agree with that. It stands out but in a good way. This is what good urban infill looks like - Somerville should take note given how many key lots on main streets are being wasted on stuff that seems designed to blend in and not be noticed at all.

Granted the North End is a pricier market so I'm sure that factors into the budget for this kinda thing, and renders are just that so who knows how it will look when completed.

Pixel -- all it needs to fit in is with the old North End would be some hanging laundry and someone blaring out Annnnnnthony.....

However -- The North End just like Southy and Eastie are a-change-in once again as they get discovered as walk-to-work places for the professionals

Heh, I think you're the only person that remembers this project even exists! Great updates. =)

It will be worth it. It will be a gem.

cca

Back