Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

Chris, who would have the time or patience?

Thank you for typing the letter in, long-hand. I skimmed the letter earlier today and was so infuriated, I just put it down, swearing to never read another line about any development in the entire city, ever.

My favorite complaint in the article is that if you have construction, you'll have construction workers, and there will be noise.

Wait, is that a gun I see in my bedside drawer?

Please excuse me while I shoot myself.

So I guess you don't have time to write about that orphaned Columbus Center?

I like the part where Clarence Darrow says there are cases that allow cities to stop projects. Well golleee Sgt. Carter! You don't say! Oh, how do the cases you cite relate to this project, Gomer?
Poor old "debt ridden Simon". Why, if they lose out on all the deodorant sales to the 1700 construction workers to contain the fugitive b.o., their corporate debt will cause loads and stresses that will collapse the Copley Place gerbil tubes.
Oh, the humanity!

Simon can always count on all those "service charges" they've been collecting on all those unused gift cards everyone has in their pockets.

I wish I was surprised. We got the SC&L building stopped, lets see if we can get this one moving. We should draft some letters rebutting this BS.

You bet. Let's all band together and shoot this fool out of the sky!

reading that could drive some to homicide. no really. Talk about a slanted article: all that talk about Simon and Neiman Marcus making money and no mention of all those rich people and the taxes they will pay the city.

I am a bit reluctant to address the "shadow" issue, because it has been so frequently mentioned on the forum, but here it goes:

When it comes to shadows impacting open space such as Copley Place, parks etc. My experience is that 90% of the time in mild weather people are seeking shade to eat lunch or relax on their work break. They don't care if the shade is from a building or a tree. Its shade people seek. There are only a handful of very cool sunny days in the shoulder season when direct sun is sought out in order to relax. In winter, no one is linguiring in these open spaces. I think overall on the balance, shade brings more benefit than sitting out in the middle of direct hot sun.

From a NIMBY point of view, I can see how some may be concerned with shadows blocking the windows to their condominums or houses. I personally don't agree. For example, out here in the suburbs the house across the street from mine has large white pine trees. The trees are to the south and cause cast shadows on my yard and house. I can't fathom objecting to a neighbor planting trees on the grounds shadows will impact my house.

c'mon guys, don't you see

[quote//]The effects of the project will inevitably spread far beyond the boundaries of the site. The constant stream of trucks to and from the site, some bringing concrete, others carring away rubble to dumps ... disrupts ... the already busy traffic ... Buses sometimes have to mount the pavement to skirt around the trucks...

"The history of construction is littered with disasters caused by a failure to appreciate the impact of loads and forces on steel connectors and supports. In July 1981 two walkways in thr lobby of the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Kansas City collapsed, killing 113 people and injuring more than 180..." [//quote]

This clearly delineates why we should just declare Boston "finished"!

My experience with shadows in public places... if 20% of its covered.. you go to the other 80 thats in the damn sun!!!

That letter is a great illustration of the desperation and dishonesty that pervades the whole discussion regarding development in this city. I completely agree with Commuter Guy about the shadows argument, and this potential "post construction" problems scenario is blatantly kooky. This is just more of the same old lame subterfuge.

I just hope the developers are able to discover this website and see that there are people who support this project.

Strap yourself firmly in place before reading this...

Why BRA Should Not Approve Simon's Proposed Copley Place Skyscraper Project

Letter to the Editor - by Bob Feldman
The Boston Courant
August 16, 2008

In its recently-filed "Project Notification Form," the debt-ridden, Indianapolis-based Simon Property owner of shopping malls claims its Stuart Street and Dartmouth Street skyscraper construction project "promotes Boston's affordable housing objectives." Yet Simon Property provides no evidence in its PNF that any of its proposed new 280 residential condominium units will be affordable to low-income and moderate-income residents of Boston or that the residential population of its proposed 47-story skyscraper will reflect the current racial diversity of the City of Boston.

Hmmm....doing a search for Robert Feldman, it looks like he lives at Constitution Landing in North End. This is what the developer of CL had to say about that project.

Constitution Landing Condominiums consists of 20 residential condominium units ranging from 915 sq. ft. to 1,155 sq. ft., contained within the existing six-story brick/masonry structure composed of 1st floor parking garage and five floors of residential units. The first floor of the building consists of a lobby and nine parking spaces. The second through sixth floors of the building consist of four residential units per floor. The roof contains both common and private roof top terraces.

Featuring Gourmet Italian cherry and granite kitchens, marble baths and Jacuzzi tubs, Brazilian cherry flooring throughout, Bosch stainless steel appliances, and elegant gas log fireplaces, Constitution Landing at 440 Commercial Street is a luxury living experience nestled within an exciting and ultimately desirable place to live.

I'm looking for the evidence that Bobby's humble building reflects the "current racial diversity of Boston".

Nice find Atl. So what's this guy's interest? These people are clowns.

Do union reps go to these meetings? They have to be in favor of building these things.

It's getting really absurd to see every planned development (good and bad) met with such criticism and scrutiny. Most of the time people just want to bitch for the sake of bitching and I'm getting really tired of it. This city is supposed to be "progressive" and "enlightened" but it's like pulling teeth to get even the smallest projects in this city done. It doesn't puzzle me so much anymore why no developers want to build here and why we don't get world class buildings. Like some others have stated, I'm so frustrated with how the process works in this city, I don't even care anymore.

^ Cheer up; the bureaucracy is world class, and so is the mediocrity.

Last time I checked- isn't the Boston Courant normally very slanted against development anyway?

What we need is a solid letter to the Globe lauding this project as well as letters to the Mayor and City Council AND the BRA.

But at the end of the day, after our fingers are numb from typing- it really won't amount to a hill of beans, will it?

People like the author of that NIMBY letter make me sick to my stomach.

The Boston Courant is quite blatantly anti-development. I have had all of my real estate clients cease advertising in it. Check out their current display advertising, talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Why would real estate firms advertise in anti-real estate rags?

A real newspaper would not have printed that drivel.

I don't understand what the term "anti-real estate" even means. The Courant provides good coverage of local issues ignored by the Herald and Globe.

I don't understand what the term "anti-real estate" even means. The Courant provides good coverage of local issues ignored by the Herald and Globe.

It does provide great coverage of development in the City, the problem is- the coverage is horribly biased against new projects/development.

Hence the patrician NIMBY letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back