Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

June 21 at 9 AM:

img7022iz3.jpg

3 PM:

img7023xc1.jpg

6 PM:

img7024kj7.jpg

I'm not sure what happened to the 12 PM image, but the tower didn't cast any shadows on Compley Square.

The Hancock Tower creates winds on St. James Avenue that are sufficient to blow a bicycle off the road, or knock down pedestrians.

Shadows are not stationary. They move with the sun. No one ever seems to take this into consideration when the shadow issues are presented, pro OR con.

Shadows keep me cool on a hot summer's day. I wish there were more.

Ron,

Now I am not a particluarly large person (~5'7" ,~185 lbs) and I've ridden by the Hancock a million times and will admit that it can be breezy there . . . but I've never felt like I was about to be blown off my bike, nor have I ever felt like I was about to be blown over walking through that area.

Does any emperical data exist that quantifies the windspeeds found there?

^^ It really depend on the weather is my guess. During storms (I had to walk through there during rainstorms and snowstorms before) the wind is exceptionally powerful there to the point it felt like I couldn't breathe or felt like I couldn't breathe. Of course nobody would be riding bikes during a storm.

I worked in the Hancock for a few years. There was one day where the wind was frightening. People holding onto poles to stand. Umbrellas flying through the air. I witnessed a a man sitting on the ground, in the rain, trying to wait it out because he couldn't stand up. That was one occasion over 4 years I was there. I think that stuff is bound to happen with or without tall buildings though.

I'm 5'5", about 135 pounds, and I remember well one occasion when the wind pushed my bicycle all the way to the curb on St. James. There was no storm; I think it was an ordinary sunny day, just very windy.

Last edited:

I can go on record as saying the wind is sometimes almost strong enough to blow a person over.

I had a very unfortunate incident with a huge piece of wood that slammed into the back of me. Everyone around me thought it was hilarious. Glad I could make your days!

Shadows keep me cool on a hot summer's day. I wish there were more.

*SHADE* keeps you cool on hot summer days. Shadows suck the life and beauty out of every living thing that they touch.

Learn the terminology, there's a big difference.

The Hancock Tower creates winds on St. James Avenue that are sufficient to blow a bicycle off the road, or knock down pedestrians.

I walk across the pike every day, and sometimes Im pushed backwards because of the wind.

The plains of south dakota dont have towers, and yet they have killer wind.

Luckily for us in Boston, the lack of a grid means a new tower will only make less wind as it blocks off the winds paths.

You wanna catch the full brunt of a nor'easter and funnel it to sidewalk level? Erect a vast flat plane facing northeast.

That's exactly what the Hancock does.

Pei seems to have problems with the orientation of skyscrapers. His big one in Hong Kong is directly in the flight path of dragons.

You'd think he'd have a better grasp of feng shui.

DarkFenX said:
Of course nobody would be riding bikes during a storm.

Tell that to a bike messenger..

You wanna catch the full brunt of a nor'easter and funnel it to sidewalk level?

Easy. Just visit Ashburton Place and Somerset Street just east of the State House any winter day with a light breeze. The wind tunnel effect on that short stretch is legendary among those who have regular business in the area. I've seen several people sliding along the sidewalk pushed by little more than the wind there. I find the Hancock wind to be tame compared to that.

looked through a few pages but I can't find anything. Does anyone know what the timetable on this is? What stage is it in?

I know its been a while since someones posted here but im curious, this project seems to have dissapeared completely.

I have seen people blown over, mostly old people.

Is this the hancocks fault? or is it the wind blowing up charles river and down the straight clarendon st, or accross the wide open Copley Sq. area, or down the straight streets of st. james/stuart st/boylston.

Show me the study.

Most likely the JHT. The JHT is basically a giant wall of glass on two sides. When wind hits it, it has no where to go but up or down and thus some of the wind gets blown downward.

The wind by the Hancock is hideous. If I get off the train at South Station and it's slightly windy, I can expect BB to be windy to the point where it feels like the skin on my face is being peeled off.

St. James between Berkeley and Clarendon on a blustery winter day. Walk towards Copley Square and tell me the Hancock doesn't produce a lot of wind. It is a gauntlet. You can run in place, and feel 3 times colder than the actual temperature. Sometimes I would enjoy the challenge, but mostly it was just annoying.

Todays Herald said this was put on hold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back