Copycat City, USA

callahan

Reaction score
There's an interesting article in the most recent issue of Boston Magazine. It concerns Boston's mediocrity when it comes to deciding what gets built here.
And the reason I put this into the New Development section is because it really is about all the new development and the attitude of the mayor, the BRA and developers currently working on projects.
If anybody reads it, I think it would be interesting to discuss the article.

It's not on their website.

Somebody scan this and post it?

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner. But the issue is worth picking up.

A cautionary tale for callahan:

Tantalus was the son of Zeus and was the king of Sipylos. He was uniquely favored among mortals since he was invited to share the food of the gods. However, he abused the guest-host relationship and was punished by being "tantalized" with hunger and thirst in Tartarus: he was immersed up to his neck in water, but when he bent to drink, it all drained away; luscious fruit hung on trees above him, but when he reached for it the winds blew the branches beyond his reach.

There are differing stories about what Tantalus' crime was. One account says that he tried to share the divine ambrosia with other mortals, and thus aroused the ire of the gods. A more famous account says that he invited the gods to a banquet and served them the dismembered body of his own son, Pelops; when the gods discovered the trick, they punished Tantalus and restored Pelops to life, replacing with ivory a part of the shoulder which had been eaten by Demeter.

Tantalus' family was an ill-fated one. His daughter, Niobe, lost all her children and was turned to stone. His son, Pelops, was murdered, cooked, and restored to life. His grandsons, Atreus and Thyestes, struggled for power, and Atreus committed a variation of Tantalus' cannabilistic trick with Thyestes' children. His great-grandson, Agamemnon, was murdered by another great-grandson, Aegisthus, who was in turn killed by a great-great-grandson, Orestes.

So...callahan...my advice to you is: get your sorry arse down to Kinkos and scan us this article. ;)

And enough with the tantalizing.

Ha! :lol: Maybe I can see if I can get a link to it. By the way, I don't necessarily agree with all of the writer's opinions, but I do think that the sentiment of the article is true. Basically he's calling The BRA a joke that panders to The Mayor.

He feels that Boston is trying to buy cool (if that makes sense.) He uses Fort Point, China Town, The Theater District and Landsdown St. as evidence that the city and the developers have half assed, unoriginal ideas to make these areas trendy and hip. He laughs at the notion of recreating a mini Time Square or a mini SoHo instead of allowing Bostonians to create a feeling of their own originality in these neighborhoods.

alright callahan, get this article up here!

I read the article and had the same thought. I agreed with the general idea, but not necessarily with all the details.

Best bookstore in my Sunbelt Valhalla is a two-level Borders. Trooped down there to see if they had Boston Magazine.

Negative.

They had all the New York, London and even San Francisco equivalents, and then it hit me: they're not really equivalent. Those places are so cosmopolitan that there's demand from folks in the boonies who want to know what's happening in the cosmopolis. Seems Boston's down a rank.

Maybe it's Boston magazine; it skates on the edge of being a glossy mag you give away, like "Charlotte" or "Memphis."

Either that or there genuinely isn't enough going on in the subject city to justify buying a magazine.

Since I'm planning a Boston trip and since the Internet lists nearly everything and I think I know where to look, I've been testing that theory for a couple of days.

Being a big-time theatre and music buff, I try to fill up my out-of-town evenings with plays and concerts I can't see at home.

Trips to New York are an embarrassment of such riches and a big drain on my pocketbook. Boston is a slightly different story: it's like an easter egg hunt to find evening diversion of the kind I like.

Since I'm also interested in architecture, I'm drawn to venues that boast visual drama. Besides Symphony Hall and the Sanders Theatre, these are to be found mostly in the so-called "Theatre District": the Wang, the Majestic, the Opera House, et al. Problem is: the pickins are slim.

Last time I actually caught something in one of these distinctly part-time showplaces was Offenbach's "La Vie Parisienne" at the Majestic: not exactly cutting edge and not much of a choice, but I wanted to see the hall. The hall was pretty nice, but the production was provincial; you could do as well in a Czech city of 50,000. The Wang has about as many productions as Radio City Music Hall; there are months with nothing. And the Opera House features long-run road shows of musicals most theatre buffs long ago traveled to New York to see.

This year, I'll probably catch Pinter at the Loeb, Noel Coward at the BU Theatre on Huntington Ave, and maybe Shaw at the Lyric. Definitely not cutting edge or avant-garde, and I expect one or more of the productions will be barely better than summer stock.

I'm genuinely sorry, but in my assessment as longtime theatregoer, Boston's district is moribund or comatose. I remember it teeming with moviegoers and sleaze mavens in the Ben Sack/Combat Zone era, and it was light-years more vibrant, interesting, profitable, urbane and (yes!) safe.

Boston can and must do better.

Because I love Boston, I propose that the first step towards its recovery as a cultural center is for its proponents to hang up the mindless boosterism that insists that everything is all right or (worse!) better than ever. Such folks do Boston no favors; their defensive comments when applied to theatregoing in Boston suggest they either don't actually attend the theatre or they have low standards.

It's those low standards that cause the threadbare attendance figures. The house may fill up for what few performances there are, but there isn't much to choose from, and the quality's not up to snuff.

One of these days the crowds may return to Washington Street at night, but it will take a lot more than renovated venues, no matter how much they're made to glitter.

OK, I'm a pretty fast typist. From Boston Magazine:

The breaking point for me, I guess, came when the city announced that it wants to introduce blaring, Times Square-style electronic signage to three of its more touristy areas. A notion devoid of vision, sense, grace, or style, it perfectly encapsulates the central irony of life in 21st century Boston, a town of geniuses governed like a backwater burg straight out of a Sinclair Lewis novel.

When the sign idea was summoned earlier this year by the visionaries at the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA), the agency hailed it as a way to add "animation and motion" to Lansdowne Street, the Theater District, and Southie waterfront. ("It will enliven those areas," said the BRA's Kairos Shen, "make [them] more interesting and unique.") This was a stunner, even for City Hall, which often seems as if it's got some kind of bad-ideas particle collider firing away in the basement.

Let's consider the assumptions that have to be made in order for something like this to be put forward:

1. Lansdowne, the Theater District, and the waterfront need help.
2. Blinking lights are inherently exciting.
3. Making parts of Boston look like Times Square will result in their being more interesting and unique.
4. When the blinking lights are switched on, tourists, powerless against them, will storm howling across the city limits and hurl fistfulls of cash into the face of the first Bostonian they see.

Number one I grant. The entire Kenmore area has been bled out, sanitized, and converted into an expensive playpen for BU kids and their parents; the Theater District seethes nightly with drunken club goons and vagrants; the waterfront is mostly still a giant parking lot. But the notion the sign initiative counts as planning, or will in any way address the problems we face right now as a fast-evolving city, required a degree of gawking bumpkinhood that verges on the incomprehensible.

Yet more and more this is the sort of thing we're getting. Fort Point, our former arts district, is being remodeled after New York's SoHo-an effort that should not be confused with the one that brought us the morifyingly named "SoWa," the redeveloped chunk of the South End that was supposed to drip with artsy flavor, but wound up being block after block of gloomy luxury-condo complexes looming over a few small galleries and a bookstore. And we haven't limited our poaching to the Big Apple, either. The mayor evoked the Sydney Opera House in describing his vision for a new City Hall, for one, and his plan for erecting a 1,000 foot tower in Winthrop Square, though Hizzoner hasn't uttered the word himself, absolutely screams Dubai. Meanwhile, the Canadian consulting firm enlisted to brainstorm ways to revitalize Downtown Crossing issued the following advice: Make the district more like a mix of Carnaby Street in London and King Street in Toronto.

You could almost call it the Epcot school of urban planning, but that would be a disservice to Walt Disney. Though he, too, may have been monomaniacal in his quest to separate out-of-town rubes from their money, at least he had a good (if evil) plan for doing so.

This isn't to say there's not a place for a little well-intentioned copy-catting. Great cities have always picked off ideas from each other and we're no exception. Lifting the general layout of the Back Bay from Paris worked out pretty nicely. And watching visitors try to navigate our medieval village-inspired downtown streets has long been solid entertainment. But we were working with a clean slate, more or less, when those parts of town were built. Now we have a fully developed metropolis on the cusp of what could be an unprecedented building boom, and, at the same time, undergoing vast demographic shifts that have raised fears we're becoming a rich-only "boutique city" and will unquestionably alter Boston in fundamental ways for decades to come. Smart, small-scale neighborhood initiatives are well and good-they're the mayor's forte-but they don't make up for the lack of a cohesive, forward looking strategy for dealing with all this change, something that speaks to who we are and where we're going as a city, and does so in a style that engages everyone who has a stake in it.

Oddly enough, while Boston has been transfixed by the staggering transformative possibility of more blinking lights (by the way, what are we cats?), New York's been plugging away on an idea that really is worth stealing. Last December, Mayor Michael Bloomberg unveiled the Office of Long-Term Planning and Sustainability, a body consisting of representatives from more than a dozen municipal agencies, plus "independent scientists, think tank scholars, respected advocates, labor leaders, and others from the private and nonprofit sectors." The office is now working on a project called PlaNYC, which is studying innovative strategies for absorbing New York's expected huge growth over the next 25 years without ruining the city, its environment, its infrastructure, or its culture. Whether it actually works , it's an impressive idea: a group charged with cooking up not just a long-term plan, but a long term plan born of collaboration among some of the best minds the city has to offer, a summoning of the supposed collective greatness of New Yorkers for the benefit of New York.

Here, we have the exact opposite: the BRA, a powerful, quasi-governmental body that answers to no one but the mayor and harbors a lust for secrecy that would make Dick Cheney giggle like a farting child. Even if city officials suddenly did show an interest in harvesting the huge brains that lie scattered all over town, they might not get anywhere because the BRA is structured for maximal mediocrity. Tasked with both planning and development (unlike how they do it in NYC), the agency derives its funding from fees derived from the latter, which makes for a read-fire-aim scenario in which the development interests steamroll the planning interests, and the city's beleaguered residents wind up with what we have now: a bunch of half-baked ideas arriving in frightening bursts with neither warning nor context. Activists like City Councilor Felix Arroyo and the Alliance of Boston Neighborhoods' Shirley Kressel have been fighting for years to create an independent board to bring this lunacy under control. But because the city council has little clout and Mayor Menino, who appoints the director of the BRA, like things they way they are, nothing's doing.

Is there hope? There might be, if the political will is there to make a big change and start acting like the first-class city we always talk about being. Remember the fanfare that surrounded the mayor's decision to look beyond his immediate circle of cronies to fill some key positions? Remember how he mentioned in two separate speeches afterward how "great" it felt, reacting to this new sensation like someone who ate a particularly gross-looking piece of sushi and was shocked that it didn't taste like crap. Well, the BRA director's job is still unfilled as of this writing. Maybe there's a little hope in that.

Then again, as our more cynical brethren might point out, perhaps the best way to retain our core Boston-ness is to ensure we do things as backward as possible forever. We should just keep doing what we're doing, picking up ideas where we find them and grafting them onto our own city in the clumsy, desperate hope that it'll make somebody-tourist, builder, whatever-come here and give us their money.

The future holds many unique challenges, you say? Pshaw. That's nothing that can't be solved by a NASCAR sculpture park, or a jai-alai arena, or a TD Banknorth Leaning Space Needle and Convention Center. Better yet, why not seize a few acres through eminent domain (heads up, Roxbury) and build something to rival the Iowa 80 Truckstop, the world's biggest? it's a hell of a draw. People drive from miles around to see the massive salad bar they have. Ours could have a massive salad bar, too, only it would be housed in a structure that takes subtle architectural cues from the Great Wall of China and Ellis Island as a nod to our enduring commitment to diversity.

I can see it now: It's the size of a football field and the height of Trinity Church, and out front is a 10-foot tall animatronic Paul Revere-fattish, so as not to give any out-of-towners body-image issues. His paint job is immaculate, gleaming, and small packs of midwestern tourist children snap at him as he hands out coupons for free garlic bread, repeating in a faintly metallic voice, Welcome to Boston, welcome to Boston, welcome to Boston.

By the way.........typing the above article made me realize this person can't write very well. The punctuation was terrible. LOL

Thanks Java.

Who was the author?

To borrow a phrase from Spiro Agnew, the author comes across as a 'nabob of negativism'. He recites what he doesn't like, but offers no specifics about designs and plans elsewhere that Boston should emulate, --given the city is copycatting.

In Washington DC they light the fronts of buildings along certain streets from the roof. No blinking lights just steady illumination. It makes the area look safe and fun at night. Washington really is doing such a great job and is a city with no highrises. Our leaders should go there for a few days to get some ideas and see a truly hopping city. Highrise are not essential for a good urban experience. In fact, they can make things dark and windy. If developers can afford high quality low rise and city lighting in DC, they can do the same in Boston.

As i said, I don't necessarily agree with every statement in the article. However, I think it's worth considering the subject. the writer raises a good general point. Many Boston neighborhoods are currently going through not only an architectural change and period of development, but also a change in personality. The developers, the mayor and The BRA are actively trying to shape the future personalities and essence of these areas. Are they the right people, groups and establishments to hold that kind of responsibility? I admit, I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe it's just part of our times. But I think it's worth questioning and discussing.

The author of this article is Boston Magazine staff writer, Joe Keohane.

"I love this town," says Keohane, former editor of the Weekly Dig, "but it kills me sometimes. Never in history has a city so enamored of its own greatness been so willing to settle for mediocrity when it comes to deciding what gets built where."

I also agree with some of what he is saying. There doesn't seem to be a good "vision" for Boston planning plus no way to enforce things even if we had one. Look at the wonderful document created for turnpike air rights, I think it was called a Civic Vision for Air Rights. It was great planning, but each developer seems to ignore that document and put up what they want and bypass the zoning laws. To date, I don't believe ANY concrete building has appeared after years and years of planning.

Java King said:
I think it was called a Civic Vision for Air Rights. It was great planning, but each developer seems to ignore that document and put up what they want and bypass the zoning laws. To date, I don't believe ANY concrete building has appeared after years and years of planning.
Either the developers have put up what they want or nothing's been built. Can't be both, since they're opposites.

If nothing's been built, you can't blame the developers. Developers exist to build things. If nothing is built, you can be sure it's someone else's fault. Maybe the "community", maybe the government, maybe the courts, maybe the planners, maybe the very laws you claim the developers flout.

Those are the anti-developers, and they often win.

Actually, in the case of air rights, the big problem is neither developers nor NIMBYs but cost. Building over a highway is frighteningly expensive, so developers rationally develop elsewhere unless the public process adds a significant economic sweetener. The status of Columbus Center relative to the Clarendon project, 100 feet away, is Exhibit A.

If nothing is built, you can be sure it's someone else's fault. Maybe the "community", maybe the government, maybe the courts, maybe the planners, maybe the very laws you claim the developers flout.

Fan Pier and now North Point are examples of projects that implode due to developers suing each other not any of the boogeymen mentioned above.

callahan said:
He feels that Boston is trying to buy cool (if that makes sense.)...

He uses Fort Point, China Town, The Theater District and Landsdown St. as evidence that the city and the developers have half assed, unoriginal ideas to make these areas trendy and hip. He laughs at the notion of recreating a mini Time Square or a mini SoHo instead of allowing Bostonians to create a feeling of their own originality in these neighborhoods.
I keep running into this generalization, and never once has it been accompanied by any concrete prescription. Seems harder to identify the solution than the problem.

Stellarfun seems to agree that the author sidesteps concrete answers:

stellarfun said:
To borrow a phrase from Spiro Agnew, the author comes across as a 'nabob of negativism'. He recites what he doesn't like, but offers no specifics

Well since the author won?t do it, forgive me if I give it a try:

A BETTER BOSTON

Though after it?s implemented even the most meticulous plan evolves a bit, you could divide Boston?s successful places broadly into two categories:

1. designed places that were master-planned formally, economically and socially, and built in a fairly short time, then largely preserved in amber. Examples include micro-regulated Back Bay, the highly-structured South End, and the Bulfinch vision for Beacon Hill. Interest through regulation and control. Beauty of primary importance and achieved through homogeneity.

2. natural places that evolved quite organically from social needs into an unforeseen form. This category includes heterogenous Harvard Square, the glorious chaos of the Financial District (skyscrapers and small buildings jostling willy-nilly on a medieval grid), the North End and Charlestown. Interest through diversity, beauty optional.

Both methods have yielded much-loved places.

Boston Magazine?s author is groping only semi-coherently with the fact that we now look for the city?s salvation in a third and patently doomed method: grafting gee-whiz, carnival-barker notions onto the city. These have as much genuine urbanity and staying-power you?d expect from such a source.

There?s no substance to such notions; they?re a Coney Island of the mind -- but a Coney Island that?s been sanitized by prudes.

First problem might be that neither the author, nor the planners and developers --nor perhaps we enthusiasts-- are willing to acknowledge the inherent falsehood of ?creating? the city.

Las Vegas was ?created.? Disney World was ?created.? The new Times Square was ?created,? and locally Faneuil Hall Marketplace was ?created.?

The North End --at least yesterday?s North End, before the proposal to ?creatively? close Hanover to traffic-- was not so much a ?creation? as it was a spontaneous manifestation, therefore unplanned; even its present yuppification can be seen as that.

Also spontaneous are the gay cavalcades on Charles Street and the South End, the chic promenading on Newbury, the scene in Harvard Square (even today), the student bustle out Commonwealth Avenue and Allston, the yuppie throngs at Coolidge Corner and Davis Square, the hetero-ethnic mix in Jamaica Plain, even the thinning daytime throngs at Washington and Winter Streets (some time ago renamed ?Downtown Crossing? in a yucky attempt to ?create? something that spontaneity stubbornly resisted).

It?s clear these places are defined by people more than by features of their buildings; if we want to bring back the Theatre District, we need to start by bringing back the people.

Another common thread in the above list: all are gentrified, are headed towards gentrification, or wish they were (Downtown).

Contrast that with the districts that were slain by planners: Scollay Square, the West End, City Square, the Combat Zone, the rowdy old working Waterfront of sailors and fishermen, Washington Street with its El, and unsanitary Quincy Market in its meatpacking days: each in its own way represented something genuine and spontaneous and still grittily fascinating (because genuine) even in its death throes. They were defined not by the gentry but by the proletariat.

Those who remember them do so with nostalgia; they were real places.

But unless we?re hypocrites we need to recognize that what we lionize about Scollay Square is precisely what led to its zealous execution by the planners and reformers of the city: its low-class sleaze.

Simultaneously vital and seamy, Scollay Square was frequented for its whiff of the naughty, its promise of sin. This was also true of the Combat Zone and the old rough-and-ready Waterfront of sailors? bars, the aptly-named City Square, and the shadowy netherworld that teemed beneath the Washington Street El.

It?s what we?re trying inexpertly to reference with all those proposed flashing signs. We want Hopper?s world noir, where those signs pointed atmospherically the way to flesh and sin. What do you think that neon referred to, anyway, when it flashed ?ROOMS?? You could rent those rooms by the hour.

When Quincy Market was ?created? (imagineered?) into Faneuil Hall Marketplace, its svengali Ben Thompson composed a weighty tome of shalls and shall-nots calculated to produce a fresh, tasteful, new look that would resonate with the upper middle class and the sharpies that would give his creation its success. Gentrification by the taste-meister.

Simultaneously, he saw to it that a sprinkling of the old meat market?s gamey butchers were subsidized into the re-imagined market, their role being to maintain a gloss of authenticity, grit and historical continuity. They?re all gone now, along with the meticulous stylebook Thompson authored to maintain the project?s initially non-plastic character; it?s now clearly a suburban mall with a few semi-urban frills.

Only suburbanites think it?s part of the city.

Yet a genuine market seems an essential urban component; though London may have lost Covent Garden to festival marketplacehood, Berwick Street and a dozen others soldier on and thrive. Just so, in Boston we still have Haymarket.

If you catalog urban components in New York, London, San Francisco and Boston, you find they all have a Chinatown, an Italian district, ghettoes, ritzy sectors, markets, bohemian districts, artists? quarters, student territory, music, theatre and nighttime entertainment zones --and places people go looking for a little sin.

Boston holds its own in all but the last two categories.

Time was, Boston held its own in these too. Into the blocks around Washington, Stuart, Tremont and Boylston were packed so many entertainment venues that the streets hopped till 2am nightly. The broadway stage productions were there then as now, but they were a small part of the huge nightly draw. Never shuttered, Ben Sack?s cinemas played movies round the clock, richly supplemented by the magnetic draw of the porno palaces, the peepshows, the flashing neon glory of the Naked Eye, the Pussy Galore Stag Bar and a dozen others.

Sure there were hookers (even cathouses!); but the market hasn?t vanished, it?s just moved to the escort services and the suburbs, where it contributes nothing to Boston?s urban vitality. Naive folks think we can retrieve the vitality by re-?creating? the electric signs that went along with all this.

Didn?t happen in Times Square --a place few New Yorkers frequent-- and it won?t happen here.

Meanwhile, conventioneers flock to South Boston, grateful they?re away from home and hoping for a little you-know-what. And you know what? There ain?t none.

All that vacant space in the Seaport District walking distance from the Convention Center ...and no one?s thought of zoning it into a reprise of the Combat Zone??

It doesn?t take creativity; it?s a natural.

Specific enough, stellarfun?

Are you saying Ablarc, that because something is planned in advance, it can?t be authentic? Basically I agreed with and appreciate your entire well written post, but feel that you contradicted your early statement ?the inherent falsehood of ?creating? the city.? By stating ?All that vacant space in the Seaport District walking distance from the Convention Center ...and no one?s thought of zoning it into a reprise of the Combat Zone??...It doesn?t take creativity; it?s a natural.?
Is zoning, especially really ?natural? or ?genuine?? You could argue that if zoning didn?t prohibit this so-called sleaze, than it would thrive, but I think you?d be underestimating how PC and sometimes lame Boston can be. Far too easily offended to go for another Combat Zone.
Installing flashing lights in an attempt to emulate a time when the area had a sexy taboo attraction is not ?genuine,? I agree. But for better or worse in today?s Boston, it is perhaps just as genuine as the Combat Zone of the 60?s and 70?s would be now. The fact is that the city has evolved, and it is no longer a blue-collar, rough-neck town. At the same time that Boston has completely reinvented itself, VHS, DVD and now the Internet have come along rendering peep-shows and Porno Theaters obsolete. Therefore, I actually think that if anything, it is quite natural that the Combat Zone and the Theater District aren?t what they used to be. Though I would support it, it would actually take planning, and specific intent to bring a sin district to Boston Proper.

Whether we?re talking about maintaining a historic building, or creating fun and excitement, I think it?s difficult to define what is actually genuine. I don?t know that it?s any less or more planned to preserve, as to replace. They perhaps take an equal amount of forward thought and planning.

Back