Crazy Transit Pitches (Maine Edition)

Last edited:
I really wonder if BRT implementation in Portland would be a catalyst for other, larger NE cities (Worcester, New Haven, etc) to start their own BRT projects. If a little Maine city of 67,000 people could do it, why couldn't 185,000 Worcester do it? I know the completion of the CT Fastrack in Hartford got Springfield (which is only 20 or so miles north) studying BRT corridors on State Street/Boston Road.

I know the completion of the CT Fastrack in Hartford got Springfield (which is only 20 or so miles north) studying BRT corridors on State Street/Boston Road.

In spite of itself. The cost overruns and corruption on CTFastrak alone could've had a chilling effect on BRT nationwide if it didn't (somewhat) surprise on initial ridership. And I would only call that one *metastable*, because if the NEC FUTURE study had given more serious thought to Midland HSR via Hartford (i.e. what CT pols actually dearly want instead of the I-95 HSR route) the public would become way better acquainted with how Amtrak completely bent over and robbed ConnDOT blind on the lease terms for co-running on the Springfield Line ROW, and how ex-Gov. Malloy rammed it through bang-bang to escape scrutiny over just how bad the deal was. The lease is revokable at-will and without penalty by Amtrak...which means if they ever need to insert Track 3 for any reason whatsoever the Fastrack busway gets instantly evicted over half of its total length, infrastructure bulldozed in the process. Generally terrible all-around precedent, even though right now it's working more or less as intended. 25 years from now...your guess on whether future needs force a pickle.

Legislative bill funding feasibility study of Downeaster extension to Bangor via Brunswick/Augusta makes it out of committee by unanimous vote, now to be voted on by both Houses soon with favorable odds of passage. I know it's a self-reinforcing meme that MEDOT luvs doing studies about studies...but this will be the first actual attempt at benchmarking planning-useful demand numbers for a schedule that links Gardiner, Augusta, Waterville, Pittsfield and/or Newport, and Bangor with destinations on the rest of the corridor. Way more actionable info than a TRNE flak in front of a public meeting open mic pulling adjectives excitedly out of his ass.

👏 F-Line to Dudley for President (of NNEPRA)! 👏

Back