Crazy Transit Pitches

Back to Lex for a moment. Assuming that someday Red is able to get through Lexington through a combo of surface running and selective tunneling via Minuteman, where would the Hanscome/I-95 station be sited? Behind the Hartwell Ave developments in Tophet Swamp? Would that require new ramps off of 128? Or would it go closer to Bedford Street and be accessed via the existing 128/225 interchange?

No new interchanges...definitely not necessary. It's a typical ridiculously overbuilt Massachusetts cloverleaf with the local road spreading to a gargantuan 4 lanes around the interchange.

I would assume it probably skirts most of the wetlands by taking what's now parking lots whenever it deviates off the Minuteman. Probably a storage yard on the Lexington composting facility yard and stub station either along Maguire Rd. behind the Mass General Autism Center, or taking a sharp right into the rear Hartwell Ave. lots behind Children's Hospital with more direct park-and-ride access at Route 4. Reliable assumption that this area will have grown explosively enough to take some of that asphalt parking and have made it vertical parking by the time this is built. So wetlands probably aren't that big an issue despite the ROW being surrounded by 'em on that side of 128. 99% of the deviation off the old railbed is on present-day asphalt any way you angle it for the station stop and storage yard.

No. All of the No. Just No.

Thanks bro...

For the record, I am not beating the drum for a RLX to Lexington (I am for Arlington Center ASAP though). Kind weird to have people who have proposed all kinds of crazy transit pitches jumping all over a question regarding a someday in the future possible extension of the Red Line to 128/Hanscom/Burlington. Settle down boys.

Last edited:
Ok, seriously guys, can we have a chat?

Why on Earth do we keep talking about a rapid transit extension through a low-density area which couldn't even support commuter rail? Out of all the viable rapid transit extensions, I feel not a single one is ever talked about more on this forum than a Red Line North extension. Red to Waltham is more viable than that. The horse's decomposed remains have been beat into dust, and the dust was beat until it dispersed and blew away in the breeze. And then it was beat some more.

It sounds like you're talking about Plympton or Dunstable, not Arlington. A "low-density area which couldn't even support commuter rail?" I think not. Arlington has a higher population density than Worcester or Lowell! I know that's a little misleading, but still, Arlington is certainly not "low-density."

First of all, having a train line next to the Minuteman would ruin it. So I, for one would never support using that ROW for anything but a tunnel.

Second, my opinion will be shared by enough people to sink this idea from the get-go. So surface Red Line aint gonna happen there.

First of all, having a train line next to the Minuteman would ruin it. So I, for one would never support using that ROW for anything but a tunnel.

Second, my opinion will be shared by enough people to sink this idea from the get-go. So surface Red Line aint gonna happen there.

A cut-and-cover to Arlington Center wouldn't contradict this point of view at all. Let's call that Phase 1, even if other phases would be postponed indefinitely. Heck, that's reasonable transit pitch territory.

You'd potentially be able to cut-cover all the way to Arlington Heights at obviously increased costs. It's beyond Heights that it really becomes unreasonable to cut and cover (especially through the marsh in East Lexington). Lexington would have to be tackled with selective tunneling and surface running after decades of planning and negotiating. For example, F-Line proposed running on the surface (a few dozen feet off the trail) through Great Meadows all the way to the Brown Homestead. Honestly, I don't see a surface route getting past Maple Street, which means that there would need to be a tunnel from Maple to the Center and then again at least from the Center to Revere Street. If the costs of that tunneling is too much for the worth of the increased service, then the extension past Heights will never happen.

I agree that the trail would be ruined by a parallel rail line, and I don't think that Lexington as we know it would every support an above ground rail road up the gut, with close abutters in their million-plus dollar McMansions.

Keep in mind that this latest RLX conversation got started because I tossed out an idea to get Red to 128 while avoiding Lexington's core, but it was bounced out for a number or reasons.

Last edited:
Thanks bro...

*fist bump*

It's been said in many different ways here but here are all the reasons: running the RL through Lex Center to 128 and Hanscom would be a monumentally expensive project for the ridership, through an area that doesn't really want it, along a ROW that is currently occupied by a massively popular bike path (thus requiring tunneling), with a station along 128 that is surrounded by a protected swamp land and existing development, to a terminal at an airfield that not that many people will ever need to get to.

Additionally the 128 station would be adjacent to Rt 4... not where the big traffic is. It's Rt 3 at Burlington where the demand is. Going along Lowell St from A Heights to Burlington is the only route that could justify the cost of building it. Yes it bypasses Lex Center but it runs close enough where a bus would take 5 min to get between there and a new station AND you know that Lexington wouldn't want Red Line trains ruining their picturesque town center. There is also the Arlington Meadow and Tophet Swamp to consider. You know environmental groups will freak out if an above ground train is proposed to run through them wetlands. At 128/3 in Burlington you not only have the land to build a park-and-ride facility you have the land for ramps left over from when Rt 3 was supposed to be extended. Drive directly off the highway into the parking garage.

The only problem that a Lowell St alignment doesn't solve is the tunneling. Except it does. Because proposing an above ground train along the Minuteman that could only leave a sliver of space for a path is a non-starter. Even if Mass Ave was a parking lot no one in Arlington or Lexington would allow it. The only reason the RL was proposed to run above ground was because of the old RR that ran through. Once that was replaced by a bike path that was it. So you have to tunnel.

I can't say for sure without looking at some geological maps but I think that Lowell St runs through some more solid ground than the Minuteman alignment. I know that eastern Lexington does have some soggy sections but the Minuteman runs along a marsh and some (as far as I can tell) unnamed brook that feeds another swamp. It would have to be above ground.

Lowell St isn't terribly wide and a residential road for most of the route. If the RL was run up this way the road would most likely be widened to account for the new development that the RL would bring. This is going to be the most difficult part in selling the Lowell St alignment; are residents along the path cool with the changes? Lexington would have to have the town planner draw up a new master plan for the corridor and there is bound to be some opposition to that. But maybe not, maybe if new development could be contained to the east side of Lexington and the charm of the center spared then it could work.

When the DC Metro is at grade, it's in the middle of a highway, or traveling alongside rail lines, neither of which have at grade crossings.

When the DC Metro is at grade, it's in the middle of a highway, or traveling alongside rail lines, neither of which have at grade crossings.

Yes. I interpreted the question as "at-grade" not as "with grade crossings." Hence the follow up: "I see! You are wondering about rapid transit grade-crossings in a CBD. That is different from how interpreted your question."

Yes. I interpreted the question as "at-grade" not as "with grade crossings." Hence the follow up: "I see! You are wondering about rapid transit grade-crossings in a CBD. That is different from how interpreted your question."

I just had a serious deja vu with this post...

I've been working on a super-mega crazy transit pitch. It probably belongs more under the "utopian (dystopian?) transit pitch," including an interconnected "Regional Rail" system linking New England's population centers, and smaller "Commuter Rail" systems (with less reach than the MBTA Commuter Rail) centered around even the mid-sized cities (i.e. Portland, Worcester, Providence, etc.).

It sounds like you're talking about Plympton or Dunstable, not Arlington. A "low-density area which couldn't even support commuter rail?" I think not. Arlington has a higher population density than Worcester or Lowell! I know that's a little misleading, but still, Arlington is certainly not "low-density."

Well, I'm not talking about Arlington. I'm talking about Lexington and Bedford.

Well, I'm not talking about Arlington. I'm talking about Lexington and Bedford.

Well no one has mentioned Bedford, unless you're talking about a Hanscom connection (which wouldn't touch Bedford) and Lexington is hardly the exurbs. I'd wager that a commuter rail service that ran along a similar route proposed through Arlington and Lexington to Burlington would boast ridership at least as high as Reading. As Commuter Rail is no longer an option, we discuss hypothetical ways to get transit through the corridor.

It's no less interesting a conversation than proposing rerouting Route 1, or running HRT on the Grand Junction. Sorry it rankles you so.

A cut-and-cover to Arlington Center wouldn't contradict this point of view at all. Let's call that Phase 1, even if other phases would be postponed indefinitely. Heck, that's reasonable transit pitch territory.

I think you want to *try* to Heights with Phase I for sake of getting a proper storage yard. The way Alewife works is that it's a 3-track yard where 2 of the tracks can get packed end-to-end full of trainsets and 1 is left open for maneuvering trains out of any parking spot. Nighttime they can block parking spots for sake of cramming it as full as it'll cram, but during normal service hours they want every parking spot accessible (e.g. if a train in the yard doesn't start, you don't want it blocking a working trainset).

In Arlington Center you won't have tri-track width, just the 2 tail tracks. Meaning you've got 1 very long parking track stretching towards the Mill portal (or tunnel dead-end), but the other one has to stay open to reach back there. You can run Red Line ops with no capacity penalty vs. today with that, but it'll have to be balanced out by continuing to use the 3rd storage track at Alewife. Which means Alewife short-turns around shift changes and as-necessary when they have to flush out delays from a disablement downtown. It's doable and doesn't necessarily increase Red's vulnerability, but it is more complex and less-ideal than having a proper Braintree-style yard at Arlington Heights offering a little more flexibility than the barest no-margin minimum Alewife provides.

So figure this: Center and the full tunnel pour to Mill St. is non-controversial Phase IA. Like North Quincy, Wollaston, and Quincy Center were the Phase IA of a Braintree extension that was supposed to open all at once but got bogged down in infighting around the last 2 stops. The line ran just fine--if zero-margin--terminating at QC from '71-80, and if negotiations really fell apart in Braintree they'd have been able to keep it that way without being hung out to dry. But stopping there was not ideal, so reaching agreement on "Phase IB" to Braintee was utmost importance and they kept at the arm-twisting for years longer until they had a deal.

Arlington Heights is "Phase IB". You need 1 more station in the depressed cut on the ROW, and you need a storage yard west of there accessible from the surface on industrial land behind Mass Ave., west of Park Ave.

Make these assumptions for the project limits of Heights station:
-- The 'triangle' between Park Ave. and Lowell St. where the ROW runs in a cut is the probable station location.
-- The triangle is ripe for an air-rights cover-over above the station, flipping the Gold's Gym and other scuzzy industrial/ex-industrial property in the process and doing a "plaza-fication" of the cut into a real square. Like a miniature Davis.
-- Bus station moves into the triangle out of its less-convenient location west.
-- The trail is not going to be an issue if it's pulled out of the cut at Lowell St. and fed through the plaza. Because the plaza is now the place to be.
-- The lumber yard west of Park and the to-be-vacated bus yard is the storage yard location. 8-10 trainsets of storage, arranged stub-end like Braintree Yard. And you can probably keep the bus storage ringing around the edge of it. It is plenty large enough for that and can be soundwalled from the residential abutters and existing trail to Lexington.

Then this is what you have to negotiate on the 1.2 miles from Mill St. to Lowell St. . .

-- You want to wring as much surface running space as you can, and as much trail-shifting as you can.
-- You want to do as little additional tunneling as you can, but you can put areas of cover-over on the table as a consensus-builder.
-- Don't give away the the farm all at once.
-- Target redevelopment of blighted industrial areas in your negotiating tactics to win concessions. The town has revenue motivations there where it isn't going to be lockstep with the NIMBY's.
-- There are areas along the existing trail with less-than-ideal connectivity to adjacent parkland, owing to its legacy as a tucked-away rail line. Trail-shifting is a more palatable alternative where it can enhance connectivity while still netting equal-or-better trail.

So with that in mind, here's are some negotiating examples. Your mileage may vary, but the back-and-forth is non-optional for rationing your tunneling costs.

-- Hobbs Ct. to Forest St. (1600 ft.) has nothing but industrial abutters on the south side, town parkland on the north side spanning all the way to Summer St. I think there may be 1-2 narrow paths connecting the Minuteman to the Little League fields, but primary access is through the rear parking lot of the skating rink dancing around parked cars. There's a lot of room for access improvement here the way the trail is insulated from the parks. And the industrial property's an asphalt wasteland.

You could easily bind an equally luxurious trail 25 ft. closer to the park side with much-improved connectivity and open interface to that recreation land. Then stimulate some redev of those poor land-use industrial properties for mixed-use. There's something for everyone here--including the town's revenue intake--so this should not be a tunneled segment, nor should negotiations have to hit a binary-choice dead end.

-- Behind the High School the whole south side of the ROW is HS athletic fields and a town DPW lot. With a well-preserved double-track rail overpass of Grove St. Is there any reason why a sound wall on the Summer St. side, and path shifted behind the stadium bleachers like Somerville Community Path does at Alewife at Russel Field wouldn't work here? Another example where the path ends up a better path than what's there today by interfacing with more of the town's rec land than before.

What can you negotiate here so tunneling can be rationed to a block of greater need?

-- What would Dudley St. residents hate more? The trains, or that whole blighted block continuing to be occupied by Enterprise Rent-a-Car and the sketchy autobody repair shops? It's a disgusting area with very poor land utilization for its location. Would they take sound walls around the tracks for infill residential and a charter school replacing all those the chop shops?

I bet Town Hall has some opinions about that significantly influenced by the revenue considerations and not necessarily straight up-and-down aligned with NIMBY voices on that subject. It may not pan out and this has to be one of the blocks rationed for a tunnel segment. But other parties have an itch to scratch here. So scratch it, make the play that the less they have to tunnel the more help is available for improving the land use to the neighborhood's benefit, and see what happens. They'll think about it at the very least.

You get the idea. Negotiate hyper-local the way they did to settle up all the bitching and moaning 40 years on the ultimate placement of Quincy Adams and Braintree stations to complete that Phase IB. Block-by-block, leverage rationed accordingly. It is impossible to make a blanket statement about what Arlington will and will not support for Heights without engaging them that way. Because stuff like fixing poor land use, stimulating tax revenue, improving connectivity and utilization to recreation areas are preexisting town issues in/around the project area. If the project can serve up solutions and forge some consensus on addressing those pre-existing issues, it makes productive use of its leverage. That matters. It may not matter enough to satisfy all objections, but some...yes, enough that the debate isn't just a build-vs.-NIMBY binary choice. So target those areas for negotiation. Nothing gets built in the post- urban renewal era by being the aloof planner in the ivory tower. And that includes making build-vs.-NIMBY binary-choice excuses for not engaging them in the first place.

Approach "Phase IB" that way and you probably do get an end result that lands at Heights, even if that has to be the Braintree- or Route 16- equivalent tack-on to an earlier opening of Arlington Ctr. station needing the extra few years of time to square the last details at the terminal station.

-- Behind the High School the whole south side of the ROW is HS athletic fields and a town DPW lot. With a well-preserved double-track rail overpass of Grove St. Is there any reason why a sound wall on the Summer St. side, and path shifted behind the stadium bleachers like Somerville Community Path does at Alewife at Russel Field wouldn't work here? Another example where the path ends up a better path than what's there today by interfacing with more of the town's rec land than before.

What can you negotiate here so tunneling can be rationed to a block of greater need?

I'd wonder about the elevation change between the path and the fields. There would either be a very steep incline on the trail to get behind the bleachers, or a lot of earth moving to raise the land immediately behind the bleachers.

I'd wonder about the elevation change between the path and the fields. There would either be a very steep incline on the trail to get behind the bleachers, or a lot of earth moving to raise the land immediately behind the bleachers.

None of that hillside is original because of the embankment that was built up at some point in the last 100 years for the Grove St. grade crossing elimination. That's why the town was so easily able to build the bleachers without getting bogged down in EIS'ing. The bleachers already shaved some of that embankment when they were constructed in order to fit that narrow gravel park maint access point underneath for cleaning up all the trash behind/beneath the bleachers. So scooping the hillside isn't going to be a big deal. Transit construction would have to by default build a short retaining wall at the ROW fence spanning the bleacher area for roadbed stabilization against erosion. The bleacher construction shaved back enough that stabilization's non-optional. That's going to involve some digging for the foundation pour at this very spot. If the retaining wall is at the ROW fence it's an easy opportunity to level it out back here and drop the elevation 5-6 feet for a 30-foot wide path + grass equivalent to the current ROW and much gentler grade back to level. on either side of the playing field.

For the rest to the east you're looking at the path deviating off current alignment behind Alta Brigham Square since that's where the subway would be portaling-out after Mill St. And everything from there to Thorndike Field obviously gets a full path restoration after subway construction.

Figure that near the Mill portal the path would be landscaped to deviate off-alignment and slope down the pre-existing retaining wall behind the Alta Brigham residential community to get level with the park. Fence separating the private property from path.

Hits the park, does its shaved-down elevation thing behind the bleachers. Then on other side of the playing field it would take a strip of the DPW back lot that's currently a giant trash heap, re-landscape that whole thing into something lush for the 50 ft. behind the maint building so the rest of the facility is buffered and invisible from the path. Then crosswalk at Grove St.

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Old rail bridge over Grove is 11.5' low-clearance...probably lower-clearance than that when first built because looks like road was further undercut at some point too. Construction would certainly raise it 3-4 feet to prevent bridge strikes from the DPW trucks which necessitates more retaining wall framing Grove. So the width for the path continuation through here gets produced by default from the raised bridge getting new retaining walls poured.

--------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

And now you're on the Grove-Brattle block and chewing on the possibilities there. Right now, the north end abutters on Grove St. Pl. are set back 65 ft. from the ROW with dense foliage. Brattle Dr. housing development set back 40 ft. Maybe a sound wall, but between that and the foliage the train line would be undetectable.

South-facing side on Dudley St.:
-- 3 small L-shaped barracks-style housing projects buildings, like larger versions of 63 Grove St. next to the bridge embankment, all with rear parking lots. They look well-maintained, so guessing these are keepers. Minor angst.
-- Very sketchy looking, possibly vacant warehouse (Google shows no known tenant) set way back from the street with stupidly large parking lot in front. No-brainer nuke/redev...not appropriate for a residential street.
-- A1 Autobody. Large rear back lot fanning out both directions behind the adjacent double-deckers with smashed-up cars stored and some sort of secondary garage in back. No-brainer nuke/redev...not appropriate for a residential street.
-- Bike shop, set up inside a former auto repair garage behind double-deckers. This is the one with the back door that opens up onto the Minuteman. Obviously you want these guys around for the trail (I've used them myself to inflate my tires en route to Lexington). But given the makeshift nature of their digs they'd be easily relocatable to a nicer spot that isn't in an ex- chop shop behind residences. Maybe that's a place for carving out a patch of the DPW lot or moving closer to Heights. Use care on relocation, but likely a very willing negotiating partner.
-- Another chop shop. No-brainer nuke/redev...not appropriate for a residential street.
-- 10 residential houses, single- and double-deckers, street-facing with the rear-lot autobody businesses and bike shop out their back windows. Zero backyards, some with the rear-lot pavement running literally to the back porch. N/A...all of them 80-100 ft. in front of the ROW and probably looking forward to the day when they get a little privacy not having gearheads working behind them all day.
-- 3 residential houses with real backyards. Minor angst.
-- Mass Control Wholesale Heating Supplies. 3 warehouses spanning to corner of Brattle St. with lots of trucks parked in/around. No-brainer nuke/redev...not appropriate for a residential street.

I would be hard-pressed to see any issues running surface on the Grove-Brattle block with a sound wall on the north side and trail shifted and well-buffered onto space freed up on the south side by flipping those residential-inappropriate chop shops and warehouses. If that were part of the deal and the bike shop got a superior trade-in location elsewhere on the path the residents would HAPPILY make this trade for a little privacy. And the relocated path on the rear of the chop shop properties would be 1:1 as well-buffered and lush as before.

Brattle to Hobbs Ct. This is where there's likely to be the most trouble with residential abutters on both sides of the ROW. So if you have to go back under, inclining down before Brattle St. is the place to do it. Raise the roadway under the low-clearance rail bridge to its original level during the cut-and-cover job, replace the rail overpass with a new taller footbridge and run the trail over that moved back onto its current alignment.

1000 ft. of tunneling, or tricky negotiation on mitigation around abutters. Make this your first tunneling concession if you hit a blocker.

Hobbs Ct.: Portal on up.

North side of ROW is the park that runs all the way to Forest St. Trail gets offset to the park-interfacing side lushly buffered from the south side, and ends up improved significantly by interfacing with the recreation areas for a change.

South side is:
-- Service lot of the Mirak Chevy dealership (yuck!...why does this residential neighborhood have so many auto repair places right out their frickin' bedroom windows?).
-- Some sort of partially-occupied factory in an old mill with a hideously large, crumbling, barely-occupied parking lot in back.
-- Lalicata Landscaping Products (mulch, gravel, etc.). Just a yard full of smelly mulch, trucks and tractors.
-- Beck St.-facing businesses: another landscaping company, a plumbing company, a woodworking company, a graphic design company in a repurposed warehouses, carpet cleaners, and some nondescript warehouse.

Nothing would need to be disrupted because you're offsetting the path closer to the park, but if maximal buffering really matters that much you can just cut down the trees behind Mirak, the freakishly large mill parking lot, and Lalicata and run the tracks propped up on a short retaining wall in full view of the gearheads and guys with tractors. And for the sake of neighborhood sanity please flip-n'-nuke all the Beck St. industrial for residential. Seriously...who in Town Hall zoned all this crap back in the day?

Forest St. bridge is another former grade separation, and Forest-Watermill Pl. another tough one for abutter angst. If you have to portal back under do the same thing you did before: do it before the bridge, raise the undercut road back to the sidewalk level, and do a taller footbridge for the path.

1100 ft. of tunneling, or tricky negotiation on abutter mitigation.

Watermill Pl. you're in the cut on approach to Heights. Southside abutters on Lowell St. are set back a lot. Northside on Bow St. are another landscaping company and a tool rental company re-occupying old warehouses.

Don't see a problem here. Shift tracks further north, build retaining walls. The industrial properties are so close to Heights that those 2 businesses are going to get Godfather offers to move. This would actually be a frickin' excellent place for the bike shop. Path makes a slow incline up on approach to Lowell St. at-grade and the new 'square' to be build over the triangle.

"The Square". Air rights cover-over for the station. Path surfaces into the pedestrian plaza crossing the block. Gold's Gym gets nuked for something befitting a square-anchoring redev. Train storage yard in the lumber yard and current bus yard.

The end for Phase I. Lexington's a someday in the deep future, or a never-will-be. Either way it's out-of-sight/out-of-mind for now.

2100 ft. of 'negotiation tunneling' to keep in-pocket if you need to go to the well to get it done (and hopefully you don't and other mitigation does the trick). A minimum four-fifths of a mile at-grade that you have no solid justification for gambling away. A new Square plaza on air rights.

That doesn't sound too bad. And if it un-does some real WTF? industrial vs. residential zoning mistakes in the process, you've probably got the town's buy-in to go for it.

Last edited:
Going back to the Hanscom vs Burlington comment... Agree completely. If we are going to talk about transit around there, then a Burlington to Lowell segment somehow along rt 3 makes more crazy sense. Probably BRT though with another segment from Burlington over to Anderson RTC/Mishawum Station in Woburn.

If you really want to get to Hanscom, because you think it is going to get BRAC'd someday and be opened up to more civilian, commercial development or have the airfield itself developed because our super trains have made air travel unnecessary.. Very unlikely on all counts.... Then the route that makes sense is a DMU branch from the Fitchburg line which runs along rt 2/2A to Hanscom.

Last edited:
Going back to the Hanscom vs Burlington comment... Agree completely. If we are going to talk about transit around there, then a Burlington to Lowell segment somehow along rt 3 makes more crazy sense. Probably BRT though with another segment from Burlington over to Anderson RTC/Mishawum Station in Woburn.

If you really want to get to Hanscom, because you think it is going to get BRAC'd someday and be opened up to more civilian, commercial development or have the airfield itself developed because our super trains have made air travel unnecessary.. Very unlikely on all counts.... Then the route that makes sense is a DMU branch from the Fitchburg line which runs along rt 2/2A to Hanscom.

There's no plausible ROW anywhere near which could feasibly connect all that on rail if you aren't building out on the Minuteman. But...nothing prevents them from BRT-ing that whole quadrant of 128 office parks with shuttles out of Anderson, shuttles out of that sorely-needed Fitchburg Line infill at Weston/128/20 near the Polaroid complex and 70 bus terminus, and Indigo-like headways to both Anderson and Weston feeding it. The fact that Anderson today lacks any sort of circumferential bus service is a gaping hole begging to be cheaply filled.

That's plenty robust for the interim. And as I said, an eventual Arlington Heights RL terminus becomes Lexington's transit line all the same by giving the 62 and 76 direct rapid transit transfers and conduit for boosting their frequencies, plus real walkability to the station via the Minuteman. You've got to have something truly grand planned for Hanscom to justify the pain of building direct rail further out, and Burlington's got to have some future that rolls back the parkingparkingparkingparking at the Mall and office parks in favor of reimagined semi-urbanity to make a cut-and-cover worth doing.

This is an application tailor-made for BRT and some public-private partnerships as a funding conduit. Short-term: set up the two spokes with stiff headways at Anderson and Weston, connect them with shuttles pinging out each direction. Mid-term: get the house in order on Arlington Heights, make it a robust transfer hub for trunk buses on Mass Ave. and Lowell St.

That'll have to be some hella grand plans for reimagining Hanscom and the Mall for a spoke-and-circumference transfer plan like this to not adequately serve a few decades worth of growth.

Right of way gets a bit easier to take if you branched off the Fitchburg line through low density areas compared with trying to reclaim any part of the Minuteman for rail. I'm not advocating either. Hanscom is what it is and I don't see/want it being coveted for some mega development. Better to focus on redevelopment of Boston's 19th and twentieth century industrial exurbs (some of which already have rail) than to create more density at Hanscom.. Just keep it the useful airfield and base it is.

Better connections between Anderson RTC and Burlington and Burlington and Lowell using BRT are more for reasonable transit pitches. Burlington has already gone an itsy bitsy bit further towards a more city style of development with the 3rd Ave Wegmans development. And they have gone vertical with the new Kuerig headquarters and there is more potential to go vertical and denser at the Burlington Mall and New England Executive Park (where they have experimented with introducing ground level restaurants in the office park).

Although their planning board isn't actually planning anything, just rubber stamping when big developers pony up, so getting overall consistency in approach is hard to imagine. More like islands of development with hardly a sidewalk between them. Would be better if their was an overall plan for a street and sidewalk grid that makes sense.

Right of way gets a bit easier to take if you branched off the Fitchburg line through low density areas compared with trying to reclaim any part of the Minuteman for rail.

No. There's no where to branch off of Fitchburg through Weston and Lincoln to get to Hanscom. It's not at all easier than trying to tango with the Minuteman ROW.

I'm not advocating either. Hanscom is what it is and I don't see/want it being coveted for some mega development. Better to focus on redevelopment of Boston's 19th and twentieth century industrial exurbs (some of which already have rail) than to create more density at Hanscom.. Just keep it the useful airfield and base it is.

The idea is that someday in the mid-future Hanscom will be BRAC'd and that land will open for development. Maybe nothing comes of it due to community opposition in Concord, Lincoln, Bedford and Lexington. But if it does, it should have transit because of the extra burden that would be placed on the existing corridors.

Back