Crazy Transit Pitches

Those neighborhoods had already formed and calcified by the time the "A" was discontinued. The residential density of Comm Ave near the "B" is nothing new either.

I think that the sparsity near Brighton Center, and particularly Oak Square, is due to politicking by more suburban-minded residents.

Right, but the point I'm trying to make is that the renewed focus on urban living in recent history means the A line would have been far more valuable than the 57 bus ever could be in terms of spurring development in these areas. As it is, the areas surrounding the former A will remain as they are: strangled by poor traffic flow. Of course there is always Boston's trusty NIMBY contingency to contend with that would have likely mucked it up anyway.

I have trouble squaring this supposition with the general disdain that people have for the "B" line, especially on the BU stretch, where the 57 bus beats it 9 times out of 10. I don't have to say it myself; people tell me about it all the time when venting about the Green line.

The 57 does get stuck at Allston Village and Brighton Center. But so would a street running trolley. You can add signal priority and dedicated lane to a trolley -- but you can also do that for a bus. It hasn't happened for either, here.

Crazy A Line pitch: to minimize street running, how about branching the A line off the B right after the BU Bridge, onto an ROW under the pike and into Beacon Yards to reconnect with Cambridge Street at Linden, then bringing it down a no-parking Cambridge Street to Union Square (and then beyond, either towards Brighton Center or towards New Balance)

?

Various systems of the Northeast in 2012 and 2030...includes Regional Rail , Subway / Metro , Light Rail , Streetcar and Bus rapid Transit

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
System Size in 2012 : 1,193 miles
System Size in 2030 : 1,660 miles
Stations in 2012 : 270
Stations in 2030 : 349
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 1.3 Million
Projected Ridership by 2030 : 3.7 Million

Metropolitan Transportation Authority - New York & Connecticut
System Size in 2012 : 2,282 miles
System size by 2030 : 2,890 miles
Stations in 2012 : 712
Stations in 2030 : 794
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 11.6 Million
Projected Ridership by 2030 : 15.8 Million

New Jersey Transit / PATH / PATCO / Private Bus operators
System Size in 2012 : 1,390 Miles
System Size by 2030 : 1,720 miles
Stations in 2012 : 690
Stations by 2030 : 803
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 1.8 Million
Projected Ridership by 2030 : 5.1 Million

Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
System size in 2012 : 567 miles
System size by 2030 : 834 Miles
Stations in 2012 : 280
Stations by 2030 : 418
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 1.5 Million
Projected Ridership by 2030 : 4.2 Million

Maryland Transit Administration
System Size in 2012 : 232 Miles
System size by 2030 : 664 Miles
Stations in 2012 : 90
Stations by 2030 : 216
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 370,000
Projected Daily Ridership by 2030 : 1.5 Million

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority & Northern Virginia Transit
System Size in 2012 : 195 Miles
System Size by 2030 : 428 Miles
Stations in 2012 : 108
Stations by 2030 : 297
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 1.3 Million
Projected Ridership by 2030 : 4.4 Million

I have trouble squaring this supposition with the general disdain that people have for the "B" line, especially on the BU stretch, where the 57 bus beats it 9 times out of 10. I don't have to say it myself; people tell me about it all the time when venting about the Green line.

The 57 does get stuck at Allston Village and Brighton Center. But so would a street running trolley. You can add signal priority and dedicated lane to a trolley -- but you can also do that for a bus. It hasn't happened for either, here.

I'd say the 57 has a much lower success rate of beating the B; maybe 60 percent of the time it does. But the train is so inefficient because it is doing the job of a bus and competing against a bus doing the job of a bus. From Packards Corner to Blandford -- a distance of 1.5 miles -- there are eight stops. That's an average of one stop every 990 feet, or the distance between Copley and Back Bay stations; Allston-Brighton is dense but certainly not that dense.

That said, it has nothing to do with a train's superior ability to spur economic development.

In my experience, if the 57 and the "B" arrive at Packard's corner simultaneously, the "B" gets to move first and the 57 follows, according to the light cycle. At that point, there are only two scenarios under which the 57 loses the race to Kenmore: heavy traffic, or unusually long dwell times. And typically the 57 gets to Kenmore with enough time to go downstairs and catch the "B", despite Kenmore bus station's awful design.

But yes, it is due to the bad placement of stops and lack of signal priority on the "B". If those were improved, through stop consolidation or elimination, then the "B" would win more consistently. Although, the 57 has a similar density of stops (this is being addressed in the improvement program) but can usually skip more.

I don't know if the "A" was a better economic "stimulater" than the bus, since we can't re-run the first half of the 20th century in an experiment. But I just think that since 1970 there hasn't been any significant difference in economic development between Brighton along Comm Ave and Brighton Center/Oak Square that can be attributed to "having a trolley" vs not.

Right, but the point I'm trying to make is that the renewed focus on urban living in recent history means the A line would have been far more valuable than the 57 bus ever could be in terms of spurring development in these areas. As it is, the areas surrounding the former A will remain as they are: strangled by poor traffic flow. Of course there is always Boston's trusty NIMBY contingency to contend with that would have likely mucked it up anyway.

Omaja -- I suggest that you check out "Trolley Square" on Mass Ave in Cambridge @Cameron Ave. Built on the site of a former Trolley storage yard -- this complex and some surroundings depend on the 77 Bus (and the end line of #77A eletric bus) for transit access

The Linear Park bike path connects that development to Davis Square station, which is probably more useful than the #77 for many of its residents.

The Linear Park bike path connects that development to Davis Square station, which is probably more useful than the #77 for many of its residents.

Ron -- a good hypothesis -- but not borne out by my experience of taking the #77 out of Harvard to Arlington Heights on a weekend when there are no buses to Lexington

A substantial number of folks get off within a couple of blocks of that complex -- there are also some smaller developments along that stretch of Mass Ave.

I don't know if the "A" was a better economic "stimulater" than the bus, since we can't re-run the first half of the 20th century in an experiment. But I just think that since 1970 there hasn't been any significant difference in economic development between Brighton along Comm Ave and Brighton Center/Oak Square that can be attributed to "having a trolley" vs not.

Mathew -- I think what determines the success of transit is predictable, dependable frequent service.

Look at Arlington along Mass Ave. -- nothing like the same road just a few hundred meters further in Lexington.

Along most of Mass. Ave. in Arlington there is lots of multifamily developments -- in fact it could just as easily be Cambridge. Cross the line into Lexington and all you have is single family houses (an occasional duplex).

Why??

The #77 bus leaves Harvard Sq. every 10 minutes enroute to Arlington Heights at the border of Lexington. Cross the line into Lexington and all you have is the #62 bus running once per hour M-F (2x during morning and evening rush hours) with nothing on weekends.

True -- the #77 route to Arlington Heighs used to be street running trolley -- but many of the developments along the way were built in the bus era.

The linear "TOD" nature of Mass Ave. in Arlington I think is possible due to the not quite 24X7 frequency of the bus -- -- i don't think that the vehicle type makes a difference to anyone except incurable romantics.

Oh, the #77 bus is definitely popular and useful! But I don't think Trolley Square would be nearly as successful a development without its proximity to (and traffic-free walk to) the Red Line station.

Oh, the bus is definitely useful! But I don't think Trolley Square would be nearly as successful a development without its proximity to the Red Line station.

Ron -- see the post above about Mass. Ave. in Arlington -- far from any rail.

I lived across the street from Trolley Square about 5 years ago (while it was still being built), and I always walked to Davis unless I saw the 77 come while I was on Mass Ave.

Mathew -- I think what determines the success of transit is predictable, dependable frequent service.

You are absolutely right about that. The current difference between the 57 and the "B" is that off-peak, the "B" (11 min) has much better frequency than the 57 (20-25 min). But there's no technological reason that has to be the case.

Meant to post this here, but ended up in the wrong place. Trying again :)

I agree that buses can be very useful and are an important part of the overall transit service. But let's think about Davis Square if the Red Line had not been extended. Would it be what it is today, if only served by several bus lines?

Buses are great for feeding riders into central collection points served by rapid transit. This service is inherently locally oriented. They are not so great as a longer distance, that is to say replacement to RT type of service.

What does this say regarding street running LRT? It's not useful in my mind if it runs on asphalt for any significant distance. The old Arborway service is an example of something that wouldn't work today. But LRT on Blue Hill Ave. might work very well.

Nearing completion, just tinkering around with naming, zones, and other cosmetic things.
mcF62.png

Nice map. Couple comments:

'Mountfort'? That doesn't make geographic sense there. It's on the other side of the pike and the other side of St Mary. How about 'Cottage Farm' instead?

Isn't River Works the stop that nobody uses? Why keep it?

The whole Prospect-Union-Inman triangle doesn't make sense. Those three should be in a line. The GLX stop for Union Square will be at Prospect.

Nice map. Couple comments:

'Mountfort'? That doesn't make geographic sense there. It's on the other side of the pike and the other side of St Mary. How about 'Cottage Farm' instead?

Isn't River Works the stop that nobody uses? Why keep it?

The whole Prospect-Union-Inman triangle doesn't make sense. Those three should be in a line. The GLX stop for Union Square will be at Prospect.

River Works is located at and possibly inside the GE Aviation plant. It's forbidden to get on or off the train there unless you're an employee of General Electric.

So, yeah, that stop should be axed, but it's pretty much untouchable.

And I'm not sure I'm happy with creating a second zone at all, or the fact that you renamed Aquarium Station.

I think this is FANTASTIC. A stylistic note on the lines: I always like when transit maps clearly differentiate between types of transit - the type of line should indicate whether this is a light rail underground, steetcar, heavy rail, DMU/CR, trolleybus, etc. (Another reason why the current SL ticks me off so much.) One should arrive at a station knowing what type of transit to expect based on the system map.

Back