Crazy Transit Pitches

If Storrow Drive were to be converted to a 4 lane surface boulevard (2 lanes each way), then there would be two lanes worth of leftover space to route the Green Line as a surface line along the new boulevard, preferably on the river side of the boulevard to eliminate LRV crossings of intersecting streets. This would allow the Central Subway to be converted to heavy rail, and as you propose, the C line converted to heavy rail.

An alternative to converting the C Line would to be to build a new heavy rail A Line to Watertown, elevated alongside the Mass Pike and then along the old Watertown railroad branch ROW to Watertown Square.

There's really only two possible ways to realistically convert the Green Line to Heavy Rail without sacrificing at least two of its branches and both of them involve the Riverbank Subway - either routing the light rail branches up the Riverbank and converting the Central Subway to Heavy Rail, or running the converted Heavy Rail Green Line Branch along the Riverbank. The latter option is the better one, because it isn't mutually exclusive with a Blue Line extension.
In my scenario, the C line would become a trolley shuttle not entirely unlike the Mattapan Line (but without the PCCs- they could even share a common fleet, since this will likely be after the PCCs finally give up the ghost). Part of the yard at Reservoir could be retained for a reduced trolley fleet.
I think a Heavy Rail conversion is going to be necessary eventually - although the key word there is eventually. I don't see it until 2040 at least, which is good in a sense because it'll be 2040 before public hatred of all things elevated rail has dulled enough with fading memories of the old Els that we could seriously propose building another one here.
Even if everyone forgets the Central Artery and Washington St. Els ever existed, I can't imagine the Town of Brookline thinking fondly about replacing the tree-lined median of Beacon Street with a concrete and steel behemoth. (Or even thinking fondly of the disruption of subway construction) And as an independent town (and a fairly wealthy one), they have the resources to fight.
After some more consideration on this issue, I'd argue that the most appropriate target for a Heavy Rail conversion is actually the C Line. The B line makes more sense at first blush, but can't realistically be converted past Packard's Corner. The D Line would only need its station platforms raised, but poses a major obstacle in the fact that most of its stations are the only way for pedestrians to safely cross the tracks, and converting it also precludes a future extension to Needham Junction. The E line is probably the best possible line to hypothetically convert (even if you're assuming it stops at Heath Street or Brigham Circle), but isn't accessible from the Riverbank.
I don't understand why the B line can't be converted past Packard's Corner? It can't be for lack of demand- Harvard Ave. and Washington St. are pretty major stations. And I don't think the appearance-based opposition would be as strong as on Beacon St., either.

In I don't understand why the B line can't be converted past Packard's Corner? It can't be for lack of demand- Harvard Ave. and Washington St. are pretty major stations. And I don't think the appearance-based opposition would be as strong as on Beacon St., either.

The curves are too sharp and the elevation changes too dramatic after Packard's Corner, posing a unique problem for the construction of an El viaduct that doesn't exist at surface level or underground.

If it was just a matter of hills, we could work around that. The curves are the real problem, but unless you want to cut a straighter line right through most of the property down there, there's nothing to be done.

Following up on what novitiate and Charlie_mta have suggested:

Why not convert both the A (or some variant thereof) and D lines to heavy rail, and short turn the B at Packard's Corner, the C at Kenmore and the E at Copley (or Boylston or Park, via a new Stuart Street Subway)? As for Needham, I've said it before, but the best solution for that, regardless of the D line's heavy rail conversion status, may be an LRT shuttle between Needham Junction (or Hersey) and Newton Highlands.

Something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/iuphC

I worry a bit about routing an A line up to the Mass Pike (as I depict with the Mass Pike alternative); looks like you miss most of Brighton that way. And there's a river just north of the Pike along there, limiting the pedestrian access from Watertown to any Green Line stations along that patch.

On the other hand, if the Cambridge, Washington and Tremont St sections of the Brighton subway were instead served by a street-running/median trolley line, terminating at Newton Corner and Brighton/Cambridge/North Beacon (Allston Village?), that could work, and would avoid a rather curvy subway through Brighton.

Another problem with Green Line to HRT in the Central Subway is the Boylston turn. As I understand it, HRV can't handle that turn. So two options are to create a larger turn that bypasses Boylston by digging underneath the Common (not a fan of that for several reasons) or continuing on east to South Station and then turning north, probably under the Central Artery (though I suppose you could do Congress Street) or maybe as a resurrected Atlantic Ave El (yeah, like that'll fly).

Though I don't like it, I think a simple Boylston bypass would probably be what ends up happening. I don't like the thought of digging up the Common, but, given what the SL Phase III plans were, I don't think the state shares my opinion.

All of the above ^^ (save for the South Station alternative) doesn't really strike me as "crazy," particularly as these things go. The following is crazy:

Instead of HRT (or LRT) down a castrated Storrow, run streetcars in one lane each of Commonwealth Ave in Back Bay. Then turn them north along Arlington (with a contraflow lane), then east along Beacon and then south to terminate at a little surface stop at Park Street. (You could possibly tunnel somewhere between Commonwealth and Park, ending in a sub-sub-subway under the Red Line at Park Street Under.)

Why along Commonwealth instead of Storrow? Local service in the Back Bay, to complement the HRT express service provided by the Boylston Street subway.

This also leaves Storrow available for an extended Blue Line which could someday replace one of those HRT Green Line branches.

Why not convert both the A (or some variant thereof) and D lines to heavy rail, and short turn the B at Packard's Corner, the C at Kenmore and the E at Copley (or Boylston or Park, via a new Stuart Street Subway)? As for Needham, I've said it before, but the best solution for that, regardless of the D line's heavy rail conversion status, may be an LRT shuttle between Needham Junction (or Hersey) and Newton Highlands.

I worry a bit about routing an A line up to the Mass Pike (as I depict with the Mass Pike alternative); looks like you miss most of Brighton that way. And there's a river just north of the Pike along there, limiting the pedestrian access from Watertown to any Green Line stations along that patch.

Why short-turn at all? Cutting off direct access to downtown like that strikes me as a pointlessly spiteful move towards B/C/E line riders. One of the main goals here should be to preserve access to the hub of the system by those branches, whether that's along a Riverbank tunnel or through the existing tunnels.

As for the D, I think converting it is more trouble than it's worth in the end - and the payoff for the conversion is the lowest among all possible lines there. (In order from worst to best payoff, it's probably D - C - Tie E/B. Fitting that the two best choices are also the two most difficult.)

We don't need to tie a restored A in with a Heavy Rail Conversion, either. The A can work fine as a light rail route.

On the other hand, if the Cambridge, Washington and Tremont St sections of the Brighton subway were instead served by a street-running/median trolley line, terminating at Newton Corner and Brighton/Cambridge/North Beacon (Allston Village?), that could work, and would avoid a rather curvy subway through Brighton.

Another problem with Green Line to HRT in the Central Subway is the Boylston turn. As I understand it, HRV can't handle that turn. So two options are to create a larger turn that bypasses Boylston by digging underneath the Common (not a fan of that for several reasons) or continuing on east to South Station and then turning north, probably under the Central Artery (though I suppose you could do Congress Street) or maybe as a resurrected Atlantic Ave El (yeah, like that'll fly).

Though I don't like it, I think a simple Boylston bypass would probably be what ends up happening. I don't like the thought of digging up the Common, but, given what the SL Phase III plans were, I don't think the state shares my opinion.

Off the shelf LRT can't handle that turn, either, which is one of the contributing factors to why all our Green Line rolling stock needs to be massively over-customized. We could fix this right now with some minor modifications to the curve - and I'm talking seriously minor, on the order of about a foot of targeted shaving down to the curve geometry itself.

There's absolutely no need to bypass Boylston if we just correct the unfavorable geometry, something that would cost us pennies when compared to a full bypass. That doesn't mean we shouldn't dig a tunnel from Boylston to South Station anyway - the angle of approach lines up perfectly with the bus platform in South Station Under and the bus tunnels out to the Seaport - World Trade Center Station, but why stop there? A little more digging (or, god forbid, street running) and you could bring the Green Line up to the Marine Industrial Park and the Design Center, then turn down Summer Street to City Point and right on over E 1st to Marine Park at Farragut Road - or, if you're feeling saucy, Fort Independence/Castle Island.

This, by the way, is really only possible if you don't convert the subway between Kenmore and Boylston, which is one of the leading reasons why we should route any heavy rail Green Line along the Riverbank Subway instead.

All of the above ^^ (save for the South Station alternative) doesn't really strike me as "crazy," particularly as these things go. The following is crazy:

Instead of HRT (or LRT) down a castrated Storrow, run streetcars in one lane each of Commonwealth Ave in Back Bay. Then turn them north along Arlington (with a contraflow lane), then east along Beacon and then south to terminate at a little surface stop at Park Street. (You could possibly tunnel somewhere between Commonwealth and Park, ending in a sub-sub-subway under the Red Line at Park Street Under.)

Why along Commonwealth instead of Storrow? Local service in the Back Bay, to complement the HRT express service provided by the Boylston Street subway.

This also leaves Storrow available for an extended Blue Line which could someday replace one of those HRT Green Line branches.

We could easily tunnel 4 tracks under Storrow. As long as it's there, why not? Tunneling doesn't necessarily preclude removing Storrow later, either, but if we take part of that ROW for surface-running tracks, it's going to be significantly harder to ever get rid of Diet Storrow without axing the tracks too - to say nothing about how much worse the mess that's going on with the Bowker Overpass gets if you start trying to run tracks right through it. It'd really turn out to be a textbook lesson in "money savers" that end up costing you more money than the expensive thing you didn't want to do.

The problem there is going to be yard access for the LRTs, I think. That's a lot of shuttle lines, and unless you maintain non-revenue track for light rail in the upgraded GL tunnel, you can't move the rolling stock. Not to mention that you're cutting maintenance facilities for the light rail system down to only Boston College and Reservoir, which I would bet aren't nearly enough. Maintaining the Riverside Yard is a primary reason why I don't expect the T to ever upgrade the D Branch.

I'm not convinced that the curve is an insurmountable challenge. The Chicago "L" has tighter turns, though the trains creep through them and the hill probably makes things worse. How about re-routing the HRT B-Line down Brainerd St? The "New A" covers the north side of Comm. Ave, straight shot to Packard's Corner under commercial parking lots and the road never curves, plus less traffic disruption if you cut-and-cover. It would suck for the neighborhood, though.

I still think the best option for Heavy Rail Green is a Beacon St. Subway replacing the C Branch. I would actually run it over to BC since it would be easier to turn the larger trains there than at Reservoir and retain the Reservoir Yard for LRT by running non-revenue B Line trains down from a terminus at Chestnut Hill Ave.

We're also forgetting that many CTPs for the Green Line include a Huntington Ave. Subway that would connect to the D at Brookline Village and replacing the E, so the D and E lines might be spoken for anyway. Also, any GL upgrade using a Riverfront Subway really should be seen as an extension of the Blue Line, since presumably that's what it would be...

In fact, here's my proposal. Extend the Blue Line under Beacon St. all the way from the Hatch Shell to Boston College. Restored A and truncated B use current tunnel, with A going to Union Square or Porter and B to West Medford. Riverside, Needham Junction and Franklin Park go under Huntington Ave, use F-Line's NEC concept to get to South Station and access the Silver Line tunnel, and end up in South Boston somewhere.

Why short-turn at all? Cutting off direct access to downtown like that strikes me as a pointlessly spiteful move towards B/C/E line riders. One of the main goals here should be to preserve access to the hub of the system by those branches, whether that's along a Riverbank tunnel or through the existing tunnels.

I assure you, my intentions are anything but spiteful. I disagree regarding the main goals here: it seems to me that the most important goal is to ensure that the most people possible have reasonable access to speedy and reliable transportation, whichever form that might take.

The short-turns allow the rest of the system to be streamlined and simplified, permitting longer trainsets, better headways and faster travel times. The short-turns also permit better headways on the trolley lines themselves, since they are no longer constrained by capacity in the Central Subway. The short-turn design also contains delays rather than permitting them to propagate throughout the system.

The drawback of short-turns, of course, is that riders have to transfer. And transfers suck because you have to stand and wait for a few minutes, which adds travel time to your trip.

On the other hand, if these short-turns increase the reliability of both components and the speed of one, then you don't have to worry about the Green Line having a crazy delay, and– I'll bet– you won't mind waiting 3 or 4 minutes for a cross-platform transfer.

Also, using HRT as a spine with short-turns allows you to create more branch lines than you could if all of those branches fed into the central subway. As it is now, we're probably limited to six, maybe seven branch lines in the central subway. With a spine-and-shuttle system, we're limited primarily by the capacity of the trains themselves, not the tunnels they're in.

Part of the problem with the system now is that the current branches exclude other corridors in Metro Boston from getting service. Northern Brookline was lucky and managed to hold on to three, count 'em, three direct rail links into downtown Boston, while
  • Brighton
  • Jamaica Plain
  • the South End
  • a good chunk of Dorchester
  • Mattapan
  • South Boston
  • most of Charlestown
  • Everett
  • Somerville and
  • Chelsea
all lost theirs.

If we can run rail service directly from downtown to all of those communities, then, great, I'm all for that. But from what I know and have learned, we are not likely to increase subway capacity much at all downtown, partly because it is simply no longer feasible to dig downtown (due, in no small part, to the Big Dig).

If some riders in Brookline lose a one-seat ride into downtown (bearing in mind that the Riverside line remains, and that the Watertown line replaces the B for a mile and parallels it less than 2000 feet away for more than another mile), and the result is a two-seat rail ride for residents of JP, the South End, Dorchester, South Boston, Chelsea, Needham, parts of Brookline, Somerville, Cambridge, and a one-seat rail ride for lucky folks in Allston, Brighton, Brookline, Newton, Somerville and Medford, that's okay with me. More people served? Check. More reliable service? Check. Faster service? Check. Yep. It's okay with me.

As for the D, I think converting it is more trouble than it's worth in the end - and the payoff for the conversion is the lowest among all possible lines there. (In order from worst to best payoff, it's probably D - C - Tie E/B. Fitting that the two best choices are also the two most difficult.)

I agree with your assessment for the most part (I think the E probably beats out the B by a hair, because it would be comparatively easy to do [few hills and curves, assuming we terminate at Riverway or Brookline Village]), but I disagree that with your conclusion that just because the D is the worst payoff, it shouldn't be done (particularly if you combined it with a Huntington Ave subway, which I realize is moving the goal-posts a bit, and I apologize for that).

We don't need to tie a restored A in with a Heavy Rail Conversion, either. The A can work fine as a light rail route.

I agree that the A itself doesn't need HRT. However, the A would be one of the better ways to get rapid transit out to Waltham, a major urban satellite of Boston that's currently without any form of rapid transit. (You could run DMU's out the Fitchburg line, but that's less direct, and wouldn't link Waltham Center with a series of high density areas: Watertown, Brighton, Allston and Brookline.) And using the A as a spine puts HRT through a relatively high-density neighborhood of Boston, roughly equidistant to the two nearest other HRT spines (the Red and Riverside Lines), and serves as a good centralized location for potential shuttles to link up to. (Potential corridors: Commonwealth, Chestnut Hill Ave-Market Street-Western Ave, Harvard Ave [north-south], Warren-Winchester-Longwood [crosstown] and anything coming out of Watertown Square, including Mt. Auburn St-Harvard Sq.) And if the A used the MassPike alternative instead (arguably a better route, for reasons I outlined in my original post), then the original A Line alignment becomes another potential shuttle.

Off the shelf LRT can't handle that turn, either, which is one of the contributing factors to why all our Green Line rolling stock needs to be massively over-customized. We could fix this right now with some minor modifications to the curve - and I'm talking seriously minor, on the order of about a foot of targeted shaving down to the curve geometry itself.

Cool, I never knew that. Thanks. :)

There's absolutely no need to bypass Boylston if we just correct the unfavorable geometry, something that would cost us pennies when compared to a full bypass. That doesn't mean we shouldn't dig a tunnel from Boylston to South Station anyway - the angle of approach lines up perfectly with the bus platform in South Station Under and the bus tunnels out to the Seaport - World Trade Center Station, but why stop there? A little more digging (or, god forbid, street running) and you could bring the Green Line up to the Marine Industrial Park and the Design Center, then turn down Summer Street to City Point and right on over E 1st to Marine Park at Farragut Road - or, if you're feeling saucy, Fort Independence/Castle Island.

I agree, although I do think it's important that the Green Line intersect the Blue at some point– you're proposing the GL to Southie in addition to the maintenance of the current Tremont Street subway, right?

This, by the way, is really only possible if you don't convert the subway between Kenmore and Boylston, which is one of the leading reasons why we should route any heavy rail Green Line along the Riverbank Subway instead.

Unless you run the Southie train as a shuttle into South Station, possibly continuing up the Greenway to Haymarket or North Station via Commercial Street, or run it as a subway up Congress Street to State or Haymarket (though I grant that the latter is probably more complicated than it's worth). I agree that running the Southie train as a shuttle is less desirable than direct Kenmore-City Point service, but I don't think it's less possible with a converted Green Line.

(But I agree that that routing is a good argument for maintaining LRT in the Boylston Street Subway.)

We could easily tunnel 4 tracks under Storrow. As long as it's there, why not? Tunneling doesn't necessarily preclude removing Storrow later, either, but if we take part of that ROW for surface-running tracks, it's going to be significantly harder to ever get rid of Diet Storrow without axing the tracks too - to say nothing about how much worse the mess that's going on with the Bowker Overpass gets if you start trying to run tracks right through it. It'd really turn out to be a textbook lesson in "money savers" that end up costing you more money than the expensive thing you didn't want to do.

I admit that what F-Line is saying here goes a bit over my head, but, according to him here, the only option is to build on the Storrow Roadbed itself (I think). I'm theoretically for slimming down Storrow and putting tracks down in place of the roads, but I think you're right, we'd have a hard time getting rid of Storrow altogether. Hence my proposal for street-running trolleys in the Back Bay. No need to fuss with all of that landfill, and leaves open the possibility of running the Blue Line down half of Storrow separately.

Of course, if I'm wrong, and we can dig underneath Storrow, then yeah, that's a better idea. But I was trying to come up with a creative solution to the Storrow-tunnelling-problem-that-prevents-us-from-doing-as-big-a-Riverbank-subway-as-we-want problem.

The problem there is going to be yard access for the LRTs, I think. That's a lot of shuttle lines, and unless you maintain non-revenue track for light rail in the upgraded GL tunnel, you can't move the rolling stock. Not to mention that you're cutting maintenance facilities for the light rail system down to only Boston College and Reservoir, which I would bet aren't nearly enough. Maintaining the Riverside Yard is a primary reason why I don't expect the T to ever upgrade the D Branch.

You bring up good concerns. A couple of responses:
-ideally, HRT GL would use catenary wire on the surface. If I understand correctly, regulations prevent HRV and LRV from running on the same tracks at the same time. This is probably a good thing, though it's a shame in some ways and has ruined some of my more exciting ideas. ;) So that leaves us limited to night moves, which, I have to admit, are probably not going to be sufficient. But still, in theory, the shuttle LRVs travel along catenary-powered main-line HRT track to Riverside Yard at night as needed.
-on the other hand, it is indeed a lot of shuttle lines, but they only cumulatively add up to 14.2 miles of route. (At least, the ones I outlined specifically in the map.) No single one exceeds 3 miles in length, except for the Needham, which is a bit more than 4. The current GL system totals more than 23 miles of route. How much of the current rolling stock would you need for that? Would that make the infrequent night move more manageable? (On the other other hand, if we start adding on other shuttles, eg. Mattapan [4 miles], Harvard-Longwood [4 miles], Mt. Auburn [3.5 miles] and various things in Cambridge, Somerville, Everett and Chelsea, then we run into a bigger problem, and would probably need to build a couple of new yards [even though the GLX Yard could be thrown into the mix that way].)
-this concern would also be a good reason to support a MassPike alignment of an HRT A Line; a trolley line could run from Allston Village to Newton Corner and have a non-revenue surface track running to a resurrected Watertown Yard (with non-revenue connector tracks running down Warren Street to connect to Commonwealth). .3 miles down Galen, then turn on Water and enter the yard from the south.

I'm not convinced that the curve is an insurmountable challenge. The Chicago "L" has tighter turns, though the trains creep through them and the hill probably makes things worse. How about re-routing the HRT B-Line down Brainerd St? The "New A" covers the north side of Comm. Ave, straight shot to Packard's Corner under commercial parking lots and the road never curves, plus less traffic disruption if you cut-and-cover. It would suck for the neighborhood, though.

Good point about the El; I've wondered how they handle those curves. The creeping doesn't sound desirable though. :/

I'm intrigued by B via Brainerd in tandem with a New A to the north, though I wonder what you would do after Brainerd becomes Corey; go all the way until you hit Beacon? Or hook a sharp turn on Washington to get back to Commonwealth?

I still think the best option for Heavy Rail Green is a Beacon St. Subway replacing the C Branch. I would actually run it over to BC since it would be easier to turn the larger trains there than at Reservoir and retain the Reservoir Yard for LRT by running non-revenue B Line trains down from a terminus at Chestnut Hill Ave.

My issue with this is that the C works best of all the streetcar branches: straightaway, walkable neighborhood, not too long. And I'm not convinced Beacon has the density to warrant a full subway. You get BC, but you miss BU. And lastly, there's nowhere for it to expand later. I've proposed running the Blue up Chestnut Hill Ave into Brighton, but still, after that it becomes a matter a diminishing returns because anywhere you go after that will have such a circuitous route into downtown. (Though you could run it over to Harvard, as a sort of crosstown line.)

We're also forgetting that many CTPs for the Green Line include a Huntington Ave. Subway that would connect to the D at Brookline Village and replacing the E, so the D and E lines might be spoken for anyway. Also, any GL upgrade using a Riverfront Subway really should be seen as an extension of the Blue Line, since presumably that's what it would be...

This, especially that second part. Unless folks decide to tunnel under Beacon east of Charles, stopping at "Park Street North/West" and then ending somewhere around Gov't Center/State-ish. That could be messy, though.

In fact, here's my proposal. Extend the Blue Line under Beacon St. all the way from the Hatch Shell to Boston College. Restored A and truncated B use current tunnel, with A going to Union Square or Porter and B to West Medford. Riverside, Needham Junction and Franklin Park go under Huntington Ave, use F-Line's NEC concept to get to South Station and access the Silver Line tunnel, and end up in South Boston somewhere.

What's your envisioned route from Franklin Park? And while Newton and Needham folks would be able to transfer to the Blue at Reservoir, I worry about everyone else to the east of that needing to transfer to either the Red or the Orange to get to the Blue. What's your thought?

Whew. I'm going to go to bed now.

^

Are you proposing doing night moves on street-running track, or will the FTA let you move them on HRT GL track outside of revenue hours? That would require them all being the same gauge, and I don't believe HRT and LRT typically share one (nor should they, since HRT trains really should be as wide as possible for passenger comfort and LRT needs to run within surface constraints... I just don't think that number of stubs is viable.

C is the best of the GL branches for both HRT and LRT. It's the densest area, the straightest route, and goes through the middle of neighborhood centers instead of skirting the edges. I think the best route for transit should get the best service, but your point is valid. Comm Ave. just isn't really the center of anything until you get to BU, and it actually isn't a great route for transit IMO. Remember, though, that the combined A/B LRT could be tunneled as far as Packard's Corner to improve BU service a bit.

The Franklin Park thing was because I didn't want to stop at Dudley, but street-running extensions to either Forest Park or down Blue Hill Ave. to Mattapan are both redundant if we assume a DMU Indigo Line. With zero neighborhood knowledge, I'd say Warren-Walnut-Huboldt-Seaver with a terminus at Blue Hill Ave, or perhaps extend it down Talbot to connect to either Indigo or even Red at Ashmont (maybe it could eat the Mattapan trolley from there). Again, that's pure geometry on my end, nothing else.

The concern about Blue Line access is a valid one without many solutions. My best proposal would be to leave the track between Kenmore and Brookline Village in service and run some trains that way, maybe routing Needham service to SBW and Newton service to West Medford or some such thing.

^

Are you proposing doing night moves on street-running track, or will the FTA let you move them on HRT GL track outside of revenue hours? That would require them all being the same gauge, and I don't believe HRT and LRT typically share one (nor should they, since HRT trains really should be as wide as possible for passenger comfort and LRT needs to run within surface constraints... I just don't think that number of stubs is viable.
As far as I know every single train on the MBTA system is and has always been standard gauge- there are LRT systems that aren't, but not in Boston.

My understanding is at one point Mattapan Line vehicles were brought to the former Red Line yard at Cabot via a track connection to the Red Line at Ashmont- towed by a Red Line car I think, due to not having third rail capability. (I don't think this connection exists anymore, and Mattapan Line vehicles are transported off-property by truck)

Alright, I'm gonna try to limit myself to below 1600 words this time around. :p

Are you proposing doing night moves on street-running track, or will the FTA let you move them on HRT GL track outside of revenue hours?

Well, I'm not excluding night-moves on, for example, Chestnut Hill Ave, but, the main problem with my proposal is that it would require night-moves on the Riverside Line between Reservoir and Riverside. And I have no idea what the FTA's rules are about that. :( I sorta remember hearing that commuter rail vehicles used Riverside Line trackage during the night way back when for something, but that's probably a figment of my imagination.

That would require them all being the same gauge, and I don't believe HRT and LRT typically share one (nor should they, since HRT trains really should be as wide as possible for passenger comfort and LRT needs to run within surface constraints... I just don't think that number of stubs is viable.

As far as I know every single train on the MBTA system is and has always been standard gauge- there are LRT systems that aren't, but not in Boston.

My understanding is at one point Mattapan Line vehicles were brought to the former Red Line yard at Cabot via a track connection to the Red Line at Ashmont- towed by a Red Line car I think, due to not having third rail capability. (I don't think this connection exists anymore, and Mattapan Line vehicles are transported off-property by truck)

^ This. The cars themselves may be different widths, but I am 100% sure that all MBTA trackage is (now) standard gauge. (I think the only one that wasn't was the former Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn Railroad, which was narrow gauge and has since become the Blue Line.)

And novitiate, according to the "updated" track map at NYCSubway.org (available here), there does seem to be a single connection remaining. Looks like it's visible on Google Maps here: http://goo.gl/maps/f4BOi

(Which I guess, theoretically, answers my question about night-moves on an HRT Riverside Line; if they can do it on the Ashmont, why not here?)

C is the best of the GL branches for both HRT and LRT. It's the densest area, the straightest route, and goes through the middle of neighborhood centers instead of skirting the edges. I think the best route for transit should get the best service, but your point is valid. Comm Ave. just isn't really the center of anything until you get to BU, and it actually isn't a great route for transit IMO. Remember, though, that the combined A/B LRT could be tunneled as far as Packard's Corner to improve BU service a bit.

Heh, I like how you used some of the exact same points I did, but to support the opposite conclusion! :) (No sarcasm!) On a side note, on what do you base your conclusion re density? I have a Greater Boston 2010 Population Density map sitting on my hard drive, and it makes it look like Commonwealth is quite a bit denser than Beacon. (I could be wrong, though, so I'm curious.)

My counter-point is that an HRT Beacon Line would make 1, maybe 2 stops (maaaaybe 3) between Kenmore and Cleveland Circle, and I wonder if the neighborhood wouldn't be better served by a local service that enhances the walkability of the corridor. HRT is generally better service on a macroscopic scale, but I wonder if the Beacon corridor simply isn't better suited to a neighborhood based LRT line.

That said, you make a strong case to convert the C.

The Franklin Park thing was because I didn't want to stop at Dudley, but street-running extensions to either Forest Park or down Blue Hill Ave. to Mattapan are both redundant if we assume a DMU Indigo Line. With zero neighborhood knowledge, I'd say Warren-Walnut-Huboldt-Seaver with a terminus at Blue Hill Ave, or perhaps extend it down Talbot to connect to either Indigo or even Red at Ashmont (maybe it could eat the Mattapan trolley from there). Again, that's pure geometry on my end, nothing else.

Two thoughts:

1) Similarly to my concerns about the Beacon corridor, I'm not sure a Mattapan LRT line would be redundant given a DMU Indigo Line, since the former would be geared towards intraneighborhood trips, while the latter would be geared towards express trips into downtown. It currently takes the 28 a half hour to get from Mattapan to Dudley; add another 20 minutes for the Silver Line, and I become not too worried about the Indigo and LRT lines eating into each others' market.

2) I was actually wondering how a Franklin Park line would end up using a Huntington Subway. Assuming the two Green Lines intersect around Boylston, wouldn't it make more sense to continue a Dorchester Line north to Park, instead of having it turn hard to the east?

The concern about Blue Line access is a valid one without many solutions. My best proposal would be to leave the track between Kenmore and Brookline Village in service and run some trains that way, maybe routing Needham service to SBW and Newton service to West Medford or some such thing.

Hmm, that could work. Another (possible insane) idea would be to run one of those South Boston branches under the harbor to the Airport/East Boston and meet up with the Blue there... :eek:

(Ha, just over 570!)

Well, I'm not excluding night-moves on, for example, Chestnut Hill Ave, but, the main problem with my proposal is that it would require night-moves on the Riverside Line between Reservoir and Riverside. And I have no idea what the FTA's rules are about that. :( I sorta remember hearing that commuter rail vehicles used Riverside Line trackage during the night way back when for something, but that's probably a figment of my imagination.

It isn't, but it was a different era. The Riverside Branch uses the former B&A Circuit Railway, which used to be the old Charles River Railway past Newton Highlands (which explains both the odd straight-arrow connector through basically nothing between Newton Highlands and Riverside, as well as the Upper Falls/Needham stretch that was the original CRR mainline). Past Riverside, the trains would turn back toward Boston on track that still exists and is available for Riverside access if the T runs DMUs on the Pike.

I was just scanning Google Earth for density - I scan it again and see your point. Your point about a walkable corridor is also well taken - it's tough to choose between that (particularly past Coolidge Corner) and giving Coolidge Corner, BC, and Cleveland Circle high-speed stops. Maybe the answer is that Coolidge Corner gets it via the Urban Ring and Reservoir effectively serves that purpose for the other 2.

Another crazy idea: why not abandon Comm. Ave. altogether and split the difference? Run HRT under Comm. Ave. to Packard's Corner, then under Brainerd all the way to Beacon at Dean Rd, then from there through Cleveland Circle to BC? Run them in parallel (one on the surface, the other below) from Dean Rd. to Cleveland Circle. North of Comm. Ave. is covered by a Washington St. A-Line to Oak Square.

The Franklin Park Line would need a portal under the Herald Site (which is currently under total redevelopment, so it could conceivably be worked in... it could go in to the Central Subway as well, I guess.

It isn't, but it was a different era. The Riverside Branch uses the former B&A Circuit Railway, which used to be the old Charles River Railway past Newton Highlands (which explains both the odd straight-arrow connector through basically nothing between Newton Highlands and Riverside, as well as the Upper Falls/Needham stretch that was the original CRR mainline). Past Riverside, the trains would turn back toward Boston on track that still exists and is available for Riverside access if the T runs DMUs on the Pike.

Sorry, I should've been clearer; the maybe-figment was of CR vehicles using the trackage during the night while the Green Line used it during the day. (So, like, '70s or '80s, not '40s or '50s.) (I actually knew all the history you gave me. ;))

But I'm still unclear about FTA rules regarding different modes of transit using the same tracks at different times of day. I hesitate to rely on the Mattapan example, because it seems like something that could be grandfathered in very easily.

I was just scanning Google Earth for density - I scan it again and see your point. Your point about a walkable corridor is also well taken - it's tough to choose between that (particularly past Coolidge Corner) and giving Coolidge Corner, BC, and Cleveland Circle high-speed stops. Maybe the answer is that Coolidge Corner gets it via the Urban Ring and Reservoir effectively serves that purpose for the other 2.

I think that may be the best solution... though I agree that it's a tough choice.

Another crazy idea: why not abandon Comm. Ave. altogether and split the difference? Run HRT under Comm. Ave. to Packard's Corner, then under Brainerd all the way to Beacon at Dean Rd, then from there through Cleveland Circle to BC? Run them in parallel (one on the surface, the other below) from Dean Rd. to Cleveland Circle. North of Comm. Ave. is covered by a Washington St. A-Line to Oak Square.

So, LRT to Cleveland Circle via Beacon, LRT to Oak Square via Commonwealth, Brighton, Cambridge and Washington, and HRT to BC via Commonwealth to Packard's Corner, Brainerd, Corey, Dean, Beacon, Chestnut Hill Ave and Commonwealth? Hmm, interesting! Never thought of that before. It's still a bit circuitous for the HRT west of Washington, and that would be an awfully sharp turn from Dean to Beacon. But overall, especially in conjunction with an A to the north, it's still a pretty good compromise! Would this HRT be in addition to a converted D, or would it be the tail end of a extended Blue Line?

I'm sure F-Line can explain better than I can but I'll take a swing...The FRA (not FTA) has regulatory authority over interstate railways. Heavy rail (e.g. Red, Blue and Orange lines) and light rail (Green and Mattapan lines) are not governed by FRA regulations. The FRA does have regulatory authority when you want to run heavy rail or light rail on interstate railroad tracks (e.g. the commuter rail) or physically connect the systems.

Novitiate is correct in that there were a number of historical connections between the different heavy and light rail lines. At least one still remains between the Red line and the Mattapan line. There are also connections between the interstate rail system and the MBTA system but because of FRA regulations they are usually severed or barricaded (unless in 'use').

There are also State laws regarding heavy and light rail transit along with MassDOT and DPU regulations.

I do hope F-Line elaborates on this. He and others have articulated this quite will on railroad.net

So, LRT to Cleveland Circle via Beacon, LRT to Oak Square via Commonwealth, Brighton, Cambridge and Washington, and HRT to BC via Commonwealth to Packard's Corner, Brainerd, Corey, Dean, Beacon, Chestnut Hill Ave and Commonwealth? Hmm, interesting! Never thought of that before. It's still a bit circuitous for the HRT west of Washington, and that would be an awfully sharp turn from Dean to Beacon. But overall, especially in conjunction with an A to the north, it's still a pretty good compromise! Would this HRT be in addition to a converted D, or would it be the tail end of a extended Blue Line?

For fun, here's the map I've been playing with this afternoon:

http://goo.gl/maps/0FCef

That isn't a real proposal, mind you, just an illustration of where things could go. You probably want to connect Oak Square to BU for students living in Brighton, but if you do it this way you don't have to build multiple crazy tunnel portals and multi-layer tunnels between BU and Kenmore Square.

I don't have time to go over the rest of what's been going on in this thread, but this...

I assure you, my intentions are anything but spiteful. I disagree regarding the main goals here: it seems to me that the most important goal is to ensure that the most people possible have reasonable access to speedy and reliable transportation, whichever form that might take.

The short-turns allow the rest of the system to be streamlined and simplified, permitting longer trainsets, better headways and faster travel times. The short-turns also permit better headways on the trolley lines themselves, since they are no longer constrained by capacity in the Central Subway. The short-turn design also contains delays rather than permitting them to propagate throughout the system.

The drawback of short-turns, of course, is that riders have to transfer. And transfers suck because you have to stand and wait for a few minutes, which adds travel time to your trip.

On the other hand, if these short-turns increase the reliability of both components and the speed of one, then you don't have to worry about the Green Line having a crazy delay, and– I'll bet– you won't mind waiting 3 or 4 minutes for a cross-platform transfer.

Also, using HRT as a spine with short-turns allows you to create more branch lines than you could if all of those branches fed into the central subway. As it is now, we're probably limited to six, maybe seven branch lines in the central subway. With a spine-and-shuttle system, we're limited primarily by the capacity of the trains themselves, not the tunnels they're in.

Part of the problem with the system now is that the current branches exclude other corridors in Metro Boston from getting service. Northern Brookline was lucky and managed to hold on to three, count 'em, three direct rail links into downtown Boston, while
  • Brighton
  • Jamaica Plain
  • the South End
  • a good chunk of Dorchester
  • Mattapan
  • South Boston
  • most of Charlestown
  • Everett
  • Somerville and
  • Chelsea
all lost theirs.

If we can run rail service directly from downtown to all of those communities, then, great, I'm all for that. But from what I know and have learned, we are not likely to increase subway capacity much at all downtown, partly because it is simply no longer feasible to dig downtown (due, in no small part, to the Big Dig).

If some riders in Brookline lose a one-seat ride into downtown (bearing in mind that the Riverside line remains, and that the Watertown line replaces the B for a mile and parallels it less than 2000 feet away for more than another mile), and the result is a two-seat rail ride for residents of JP, the South End, Dorchester, South Boston, Chelsea, Needham, parts of Brookline, Somerville, Cambridge, and a one-seat rail ride for lucky folks in Allston, Brighton, Brookline, Newton, Somerville and Medford, that's okay with me. More people served? Check. More reliable service? Check. Faster service? Check. Yep. It's okay with me.

...is not quite accurate. The only bottleneck on the Green Line is the span between Park Street and Gov't Center. Unfortunately, we're stuck with that - it can't be widened - but it can be worked around. There's plenty of room to grow north of Gov't and south of Park. A combination of an actual signaling system - like the CBTC we were supposed to be wiring the Green Line for - and proper load balancing will solve the capacity limit on the Green Line.

Assuming a proper signaling setup (easy - expensive, but it's getting done sooner or later) and competent management (maybe not so easy), you could run one train in each direction every 30 seconds through Park - GC. That's the hard ceiling that doesn't go away unless you add more tracks - and we can't add more tracks there. 30 second headways equates to 10 trains each way, every 5 minutes. That's not to say we have to be pushing things right to the ceiling, either. 5 trains each way every 5 minutes, or even 3 trains each way every 5 minutes (100 second headways) is still pretty damn good.

So, with that established, the load balancing can be achieved one of two ways. The first is that you match one south-of-Park branch to one north-of-GC branch of roughly equal demand and roughly equal length. Though you're through-running these branches and giving them the same letter, they are for all intents and purposes separate. They don't need to even need to make sense from an end-to-end perspective - e.g., Boston College - Everett - they just need to be about even with each other. At 10 trains each way every 5 minutes, and assuming you've properly balanced things out so that every train can be expected to reach Park or GC at its scheduled time, you can support 10 lines (20 branches, 10 north and 10 south) at 5 minute headways each, all day long. More than enough to cover most of Greater Boston with various arms of the Green Line - hell, even 6 lines at 10 minute headways each would be sufficient to cover everywhere - and wouldn't require a sudden injection of competence, to boot!

Of course, really, there's no guarantee that you're ever going to have that kind of serendipitous lineup, or that you can tighten down your schedule to such a slim margin of error. So the other way to load balance is to get creative with your through-running. In other words, truncate every line north of Gov't at Park, and every line south of Park at Gov't. You could have potentially any number of branches going every which way outside of this bottleneck. Once a branch train reaches Park from the South, it changes its identity to whatever north branch is ready to receive it, then proceeds through the tunnel and on down that branch. Under this system, you don't need to worry about distribution of branches on either side (which is good, because the D branch is one of the leading capacity consumers just for how long it is and there's no real way to balance it), but you also can't ever rely on being able to ride from one end to the other without needing to transfer. Of course, since all the branches would be assured to be on one shared track between Boylston and North Station, I wouldn't anticipate an undue burden on any one station in that line for transfers - but the potential for a train-switching nightmare is there.

(Also, a hypothetical Greenway Trolley SS - NS and a Green Line - Seaport Connection don't line up quite so nicely with this, but what can you do? We can't have everything.)

I'm sure F-Line can explain better than I can but I'll take a swing...The FRA (not FTA) has regulatory authority over interstate railways. Heavy rail (e.g. Red, Blue and Orange lines) and light rail (Green and Mattapan lines) are not governed by FRA regulations. The FRA does have regulatory authority when you want to run heavy rail or light rail on interstate railroad tracks (e.g. the commuter rail) or physically connect the systems.

Novitiate is correct in that there were a number of historical connections between the different heavy and light rail lines. At least one still remains between the Red line and the Mattapan line. There are also connections between the interstate rail system and the MBTA system but because of FRA regulations they are usually severed or barricaded (unless in 'use').

There are also State laws regarding heavy and light rail transit along with MassDOT and DPU regulations.

I do hope F-Line elaborates on this. He and others have articulated this quite will on railroad.net

Correct. The RR network is governed by the FRA under federal interstate commerce authority because it's a national network and RR's are common carriers. The Interstate Commerce Commission used to be the regulatory agency that ruled all RR's until the FRA was spliced out of it, so that interstate commerce lineage explains why it's all under fed lockdown and so very particular in nature.

Rapid transit systems are isolated regional networks, and thus have no fed tentacles under interstate commerce. Not even when a system spans state lines--because it's always under the jurisdiction of a regional authority--or in the merely theoretical instance of a rapid transit system carrying freight (even in the old days of trolley interurbans nobody managed to move goods in enough quantity or without taking heavy losses to rise to the level of real interstate commerce). They're only regulated under the Federal Transit Admin. as generic "transit", primarily for safety and accessibility regulation. What the system is can be just about anything...light rail, heavy rail, BRT, monorail, people mover, gondola. As long as the equipment's safe, within design spec for its mode, and doesn't intermingle with other modes outside of safety regulations (e.g. Mattapan PCC's can--and used to regularly--interconnect with Red Line heavy rails cars...but non-revenue only)...it's all "transit" and doesn't have the maddening equipment over-standardization of the RR network. Networks that are not operating reliably within safety margins can get sanctioned by the FTA or NTSB when there's an accident...Washington Metro got taken to the woodshed over its last accident, and the T is treading lightly over the Green Line's recent spate of operator error. But unlike, say, the FRA's ironclad PTC mandate if the Green Line were to get sanctioned for not having a stop-enforcement system...a binding directive for stop enforcement doesn't dictate one particular application over another (CBTC is simply the most logical, but they can try all kinds of things down to the very low tech).

There is nothing preventing transport of subway cars on RR under their own wheels. That used to be done all the time here. They'd have to be rigged with temporary 'dummy' freight wheel trucks that can brake in tandem with the freight consist and handle the differences between wheel profiles the way RR tracks are ground. But that's it. Once they get to the carhouse they'd simply get lifted off their 'shipping' trucks and lifted back down onto their 'real' ones. But as long as they're unoccupied in dead tow it doesn't matter if they're hooked to a mixed freight consist with boxcars/tankers/etc. or get smushed like a tincan in a collision. Your average boxcar has nonexistent buff strength too...but it's not carrying passengers or protecting crew so it doesn't have to.

RR-to-rapid transit connections are a grey area. There's rules that physical connections have to be blocked when not in active use. So for years the Worcester Line-to-Riverside connection was blocked with ties chained to the rails a few feet from the switch and a closed fence. But I don't think that's enforced too often because for the last few years they've been using that connector as a wired-up trolley test track with the fence wide open and the switch unprotected. The overhead simply ended (although far enough away that an unpowered trolley couldn't coast past the wires onto the Worcester Line if it wanted). Theoretically if some jokers threw the switch in sabotage a Worcester Line train could veer off the main and smoosh some poor sap inspector puttering a Type 8 on that test track, but they kept the connection wide open for a few years and X many FRA inspections so I guess no one in an official capacity really cared. Red Line used to have a connection at Cabot Yard to the Old Colony Line...the 01700's got delivered in 1988 on flat cars from a freight train. But that no longer exists. Orange has a derelict connection at Wellington to a former freight siding along Craddock Ave. that hooked into the start of the Medford Branch. It's still buried in the trees, although the actual switch to the Medford Branch is cut. Blue doesn't physically touch the Eastern Route so it never had a connection, and the end of the derelict Needham Line tracks at ex-Newton Highlands Junction have always been severed from the Riverside Line post-1959 (blocked by a substation today. Mattapan and the ex-Conrail Milton Branch that ran alongside it to Central Ave. till the early 90's (with no more than a chain-link fence in between) never touched. Orange never touched the NEC on the other side of the SW Corridor fence or Needham Line at Forest Hills yard.

New Haven Rail Division

Shore Line
Grand Central Terminal
Harlem - 125th Street
Yankees – East 153rd Street (Game Days only)
Fordham
Mount Vernon East
Pelham
New Rochelle
Larchmont
Mamaroneck
Harrison
Rye
Port Chester
Greenwich
Cos-Cob
Riverside
Old Greenwich
Stamford
East Stamford
Norton Heights
Darien
Rowayton
South Norwalk
East Norwalk
Wesport
Green Farms
Southport
Fairfield
Black Rock Turnpike
Bridgeport
East Bridgeport
Stratford
Milford
Orange
West Haven

New Haven Union Station
New Haven State street
East Haven
Branford
Guilford
Madison
Clinton
Westbrook
Old Saybrook
Old Lyme
Niantic
Waterford

New London
Groton (Limited)
Mystic (Limited)
Stonington (Limited)
Westerly (limited)

Shore Line - Penn Station
New York Penn Station
Sunnyside JCT
Northern Boulevard - Woodside
Hunts Point
Parkchester
Morris Park
Co-Op City
Orchard Beach - City Island
South Rochelle

New Rochelle
Larchmont
Mamaroneck
Harrison
Rye
Port Chester
Greenwich
Cos-Cob
Riverside
Old Greenwich
Stamford
East Stamford
Norton Heights
Darien
Rowayton
South Norwalk
East Norwalk
Wesport
Green Farms
Southport
Fairfield
Black Rock Turnpike
Bridgeport
East Bridgeport
Stratford
Milford
Orange
West Haven

New Haven Union Station
New Haven State street
East Haven
Branford
Guilford
Madison
Clinton
Westbrook
Old Saybrook
Old Lyme
Niantic
Waterford

New London
Groton (Limited)
Mystic (Limited)
Stonington (Limited)
Westerly (limited)

Knowledge Corridor Express
Brattleboro
Springfield Riverfront
Windsor Locks
Hartford Union
New Haven State Street
New Haven Union

Knowledge Corridor Local
Brattleboro
Greenfield
South Deerfield
Northampton
Holyoke
Willimansett
Ferry Lane
Springfield Riverfront
Long Meadow
Thompsonville

Windsor Locks
Windsor
North End
Hartford Union
Parkville
Newington

Berlin
Meriden
Wallingford
North Haven
Fair Haven

New Haven State Street
New Haven Union

Middletown line
New Haven Union Station
New Haven State Street
Fair Haven
North Haven East
Middlefield
Middletown

Portland (limited)
East Hampton (limited)
Colchester (limited)
Willimantic (limited)

New Haven Streetcar Network connecting stations
New Haven Union Station
New Haven State Street
Milford

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215312482559953359515.000491cc098e4e5fc7e31&msa=0&ll=41.304892,-72.877121&spn=0.175118,0.41851

Hoboken Rail Division

Light Rail

Hudson Bergen Light Rail

Nyack
South Nyack
Piermont
Sparkill
Northvale
Norwood
Closter
Demarest
Creeskill
Tenafly North
Tenafly Town Center
Englewood Hospital
Englewood Town Center
Englewood Route 4
Leonia
Palisades Park
Ridgefield
91st Street

Tonnelle Avenue
Bergenline Avenue (Underground)
Port Imperial
Lincoln Harbor
North Hoboken
9th / Congress
2nd Street
Grove Street / 18th Street (Elevated)
Hoboken Terminal
Pavonia-Newport
Harsimus Cove
Harborside Financial Center
Exchange Place
Essex Street
Marin Boulevard
Jersey Ave
Liberty State Park
Split > Garfield Avenue , Martin Luther King Drive , West Side Avenue , Bayfront (Elevated)
Canal Crossing
Richard Street
Danforth Avenue
45th Street
34th Street
22nd Street
8th Street (Elevated)

Northwest Rail link LRT

Butler
Bloomingdale
Pompton JCT
Oakland
Franklin Lakes
Wyckoff
Midland Park
Hawthrone JCT
5th Street - Paterson
Lafayette Street - Paterson
Madison Avenue - Paterson
20th Avenue - Paterson
Vreeland Avenue - Paterson
Elmwood Park
Rochelle Park
Maywood
American Legion Drive - Hackensack
State Street - Hackensack
Bogota
Ridgefield Park JCT

Tonnelle Avenue
Bergenline Avenue (Underground)
Port Imperial
Lincoln Harbor
North Hoboken
9th / Congress
2nd Street
Grove Street / 18th Street (Elevated)
Hoboken Terminal

Regional Rail

Pascack Valley line
Hoboken Terminal
Secaucus JCT
Wood-Ridge
Teterboro
Essex Street - Hackensack
Anderson Street - Hackensack
New Bridge Landing
River Edge
Oradell
Emerson
Westwood
Hillsdale
Woodcliff Lake
Park Ridge
Montvale
Pearl River
Pfizer Plant (Employees only)
Nanuet
Spring Valley
Monsey
Airmont
East Suffern
Hillburn

Port Jervis line
Hoboken Terminal
Secaucus JCT
Paterson
Ridgewood
Suffern
Hillburn
Sloatsburg
Tuxedo
Harriman
Salisbury Mills-Cornwall
Campbell Hall
Middletown-Town of Wallkill
Otisville
Port Jervis

Main Line
Hoboken
Secaucus JCT
Kingsland
Lyndhurst
Delawanna
Passaic
Clifton
Paterson
North Paterson
Hawthorne Transit Center

Glen Rock
Ridgewood
Ho-Ho-Kus
Waldwick
Allendale
Ramsey-Main St.
Ramsey-Route 17
Mahwah
Suffern
Hillburn

Bergen line
Hoboken Terminal
Secaucus JCT
Rutherford
Wesmont
Garfield
Plaunderville
Broadway - Fair Lawn
Radburn - Fair Lawn
Glen Rock Boro Hall
Ridgewood
Ho-Ho-Kus
Waldwick
Allendale
Ramsey-Main St.
Ramsey-Route 17
Mahwah
Suffern

West Shore line
Hoboken Terminal or New York Penn Station
Secaucus JCT
Secaucus Road - Jersey City
North Bergen Transit Center
Vince Lombradi Park & Ride
Ridgefield Park
Cedar Lane - Teaneck
West Englewood
Bergenfield
Haworth
Harrington Park
Tappan
Blauvelt
Valley Cottage
Congers
Haverstraw
Stony Point
Bear Mountain
Highland Falls
West Point
Cornwall on Hudson
Newburgh

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215312482559953359515.000491cc098e4e5fc7e31&msa=0&ll=41.002703,-73.940735&spn=1.357646,3.348083

Build a subway tunnel that connects from the Kenmore Loop approaches and run it over to Storrow Drive, which gets boulevardized (since that seems to be the popular thing to do here- make the Pike free to compensate) with a trolley reservation, with stops at Mass Ave, Clarendon St./Esplanade, Mt. Vernon St., Charles/MGH, and then at Science Park curve into a tunnel underneath the Green Line tunnel. Here, we could merge back in with the Green Line tracks (use the North Station yard leads), or for more fun, deposit out and become the Greenway Trolley, then enter South Station and into the Silver Line tunnel.

This would allow such routings that are clearly in high demand as Cleveland Circle-Marine Industrial Park, or Boston College-Riverside (via a loop). The downside would be no direct access to the downtown core, just dancing around the peninsula. Also, an above-ground routing would be slower (though more scenic) than the existing Boylston St. Subway, and manage to avoid destinations like Copley Square. So it's probably a bad idea, but one I felt like throwing out there :p

Not far-fetched? I want what they're smoking.

You know...we could maybe just stop dicking around with eye candy overdesign that self-defeats any funding source and general-purpose BRA circle-jerk politics. And start putting a dent in the current list of plans. It's not like ALL of the following have to happen simultaneously in lockstep to start knitting back together that black hole dividing neighborhoods: demolishing USPS, reconnecting Dot Ave., zoning some storefront parcels, throwing down more tracks (which last I checked, does not require an expensive glass seagull shit bullseye target to be built overhead from Day 1), building that boat landing and other waterfront access stuff. Maybe...just maybe...filling in some of those BARREN PARKING LOTS on A St. with actual...I don't know...stuff so there's more of a reason to go to the other side.

No...stop the presses. Let's instead fuck with the Harbor, all groundwater drainage around the Big Dig when even the civil engineers don't yet fully understand how the groundwater drains around the Big Dig, environmentally mitigate 100 years of toxic sludge in the Channel silt so you can build shit people will live and eat in on top of it, and install gigantic-ass dam pilings at the nerve center of where a dozen tunnels, building foundations, utility connections cross over.

Brilliant, Yalies!

Back