Developers proposing $4 billion Boston garage makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeamusMcFly

Reaction score
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...AL/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

“We have a chance to repair the scars left by the automobile era of the 1950s and ’60s,” said David Hacin, a principal at Hacin + Associates, an architecture firm. “We can move past that time period to build something denser, pedestrian friendly, and more attractive to people as a place to live and work.”

This quote illustrates why Hacin is one of the hippest Boston firms, and is getting involved in so many good projects.

I put this here because it seems to belong here instead of in the development thread, as this is really about masterplanning, but with private developers doing each individual project.

Here's hoping a good portion actually gets done.

“They brought cars into the city and rescued Boston from becoming an economic backwater,” said Mark Pasnik, a principal at the architecture and design firm Over, Under. “A lot of them are intelligently produced works of architecture, but they are wrong for today’s urbanism.”

This quote on the other hand might be putting a bit too much of a rosy hue on the garages importance to the cities survival. Some truth, but he's just pandering to the old school architects and developers.

This is a good catch-up piece, but I don't think it is worth trying to spin a whole thread from it. I think I'd rather see it cross-posted in all three threads we already have for each of the 3 projects that the Globe is trying to spin into a "trend"

111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2 aka the Winthrop Street Garage.

The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)aka the Harbor Towers Garage.

Congress Street Garage Development aka the Government Center Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back