Just did a quick look at historic images to better understand how this site was passed down.
It's pretty amazing just how empty the site/campus is given how many buildings and uses were present on the site historically. It'll be interesting to see just how dramatically the site changes with whatever may come from this public/private partnership (ideally mixed use.)
Best angle for context. N Station looking BIG! (photo credit: Leslie Jones, 1935)
Railroad sidings where the athletic fields are currently located. (photo credit: Leslie Jones, 1935)
This part of Charlestown really got hollowed out. New Rutherford Ave appears to have cut through the site of the prison. (photo credit: Leslie Jones, 1935)
Demolition of the prison in 1965. (Also, much of the surrounding neighborhood is hollowed out. (photo credit: The Boston Globe)
Charlestown urban renewal area, Massachusetts R-55. Plan developed in 1962. BHCC has a more sizable built footprint in this plan and explains the 'void' left around the campus for unrealized athletic fields.
Gilmore Bridge under construction with a BHCC present in 1973. (is that a spire on the N side of campus?)