"Dirty Old Boston"

Is that the Charles Hayden Planetarium standing on its own? I never realized the Museum of Science had such a large addition sometime between when this pic was taken and when I was a kid in the early 80s.
That's the Theater of Electricity.

Is that the Charles Hayden Planetarium standing on its own? I never realized the Museum of Science had such a large addition sometime between when this pic was taken and when I was a kid in the early 80s.

That's the Theater of Electricity.

The Planetarium would be on the other side of the museum, towards the city.

1667103408560.png

1667103422027.png

Statler Hilton. Interestingly Sheraton had its HQ downtown on Independence Wharf.

Sheraton then moved its HQ to 60 State Street until they were bought by Starwood, which had HQ in White Plains NY and then bought by Marriott, which is in Bethesda, MD. Another HQ loss by Boston.

Thank God Copley didn’t stay like that! :sick:
It got worse before it got better. In the 80's it was a concrete pit that kids would party in on weekends because it was essentially in the middle of nowhere

Sorry, technically woven rattan seats. I saw a piece of a subway seat similar to this at a consignment shop along with a couple other more modern plastic seats from the 70s. I guess a couple of cars had these seats into the 60s

11607765035_a7226d7639_w.jpg

Sorry, technically woven rattan seats. I saw a piece of a subway seat similar to this at a consignment shop along with a couple other more modern plastic seats from the 70s. I guess a couple of cars had these seats into the 60s

View attachment 30641
I said these cars were replaced in '62 (based on my memory), but I looked it up and they were actually replaced by the Pullman Bluebirds in September 1963. I really don't remember seeing cushioned seats in the pre-1963 cars. If the rattan material was slash resistant, then maybe it could have survived until 1963. Even back then, kids would cut the cushion seats in buses and trackless trolleys with a sharp knife or razor.

Back