"Dirty Old Boston"

Still the same building. Altered in the late 80's to be lab space and a drug store on the first floor. The Mobil to the left is Tasty Burger now. This is the corner of Jersey and Boylston.

Wow, they made it almost unrecognizable. The window pattern is the only real hint. One of those Postmodern-lite 1980s renovations that I appreciate.

Wow, they made it almost unrecognizable. The window pattern is the only real hint. One of those Postmodern-lite 1980s renovations that I appreciate.

And even the "before" photo above shows a pretty-clearly remodeled building from the 20s or 30s. Filled in the old multi-pane windows and who knows what lurks behind that sheet metal cap...

Mishkan Teflia under renovation circa 2000 to be United House of Prayer.
MT Seaver Street - Circa 2002.jpg

Allow me to be the only person to see that photo and be sad that they didn't build the new Garden with the ice on ground level so they could hold monster truck shows in there. Improvements to North Station make commuters' lives easier? Bah. I wanted Grave Digger in Boston for once.

Cool pic. I'm thankful someone leaned out of the the Hoffman Building to get this shot. I've never seen a before from that angle.
More evidence of our sick love affair with unbridled mobility: Gotta love how we ripped down the city to give everyone at-grade parking in the remnants of the city.
That remaining billboard tenement building should be ripped down to make way a real, safer intersection. We keep it like we're trying to reassure ourselves that we didn't completely eliminate an entire neighborhood species. Like if we keep a breeding pair for a conservation program, tenements will run free in the wild once again. It's the architectural equivalent of a thylacine (which would much cooler to see than that brick pimple).

Interesting to note that this North Station demolition was happening at the same time the old Central Artery elevated highway was being dismantled, and the new Big Dig highway tunnel being built. I can see this because the Green Line, as it curves onto Causeway Street, is on the temporary elevated structure with the bright green steel framing built during the Big Dig project.

I guess technically not "Old School Boston" but some Old School Worcester. To my point above - I just wanted to see Grave Digger closer to home. 1993 at the Centrum - the place was pretty bare bones before the naming rights allowed for upgrades. There's a hint of "Old Garden" in the upper deck there....

CaleMT_0068.jpg

Cool pic. I'm thankful someone leaned out of the the Hoffman Building to get this shot. I've never seen a before from that angle.
More evidence of our sick love affair with unbridled mobility: Gotta love how we ripped down the city to give everyone at-grade parking in the remnants of the city.
That remaining billboard tenement building should be ripped down to make way a real, safer intersection. We keep it like we're trying to reassure ourselves that we didn't completely eliminate an entire neighborhood species. Like if we keep a breeding pair for a conservation program, tenements will run free in the wild once again. It's the architectural equivalent of a thylacine (which would much cooler to see than that brick pimple).
Taken from the roof.

Back