"Dirty Old Boston"

Great pics ^ of the Atlantic Avenue elevated line. That guy has a great Flickr site. It's amazing to think that back in the day, Boston had both freight (Union Freight RR) and passenger (Atlantic Avenue El) rail lines directly linking North and South Stations. Here is his pic of a Union Freight RR locomotive on the route:

52472790665_fc30eebb29_z.jpg

Union Freight RR by clamshack, on Flickr

This user had a bunch but here's the standouts IMO.

ALAM bag - IM slides - 079 by Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection, on Flickr

ALAM bag - IM slides - 113 by Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection, on Flickr

I still can't believe this hotel was torn down. Boston has so few pre-war buildings over 14 floors, yet I can think of 3 that were razed: Madison Hotel, the original building at 75 State Street, and the original building where the Pregnant Building now stands. Brutal.

ALAM bag - IM slides - 058 by Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection, on Flickr

ALAM bag - IM slides - 111 by Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection, on Flickr

ALAM bag - IM slides - 141 by Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection, on Flickr

Do you know of any pictures showing what was at 75 state st and the pregnant building before?
I believe DZ was referring to the old Chamber of Commerce Building of 1923 which was replaced by the pregnant building, and Fiske Building of 1889 which was defaced by several midcentury "renovations" and demolished to make way for 75 State:
building1.jpg

Fiske_Boston_Bacon1892.png

^I am pretty sure its not all been cleared up, there is still combine storm water and sewer lines which in heavy rain overflow to the Charles which is why you cant swim in the Charles unless it hasn't rained in a while to let bacteria levels drop.

That said, I am sure its improved since the 70s...

Back