"Dirty Old Boston"

Anyone ever have a crazy pitch for tightening that mess up? It's such a lousy section to walk through while strolling along the river.
There are plans to change up a lot of that area with the Bowker Overpass redesign, discussed here: https://archboston.com/community/threads/bowker-overpass-replacement.1708/page-27#post-458155
The planned pedestrian space will be, I guess, better? But my opinion is that we should not, on principle, have a highway running through our riverfront park. Getting rid of storrow solves the problem.

South station u/c.
1688693466365.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=700163988785054&set=a.485645306903591&type=3&mibextid=SDPelY

If you ask politely they'll actually let you tour that top area.

We looked at that for a wedding venue back in 2005. It could only accommodate small weddings though. I can't quite remember the number, but I think it was 50 or less.

This is more of a question, so maybe it belongs somewhere else? If so, sorry about that. Every time I read/hear about or see the old JHT observation deck in archival footage I wonder when it closed and what's in that space now, but haven't really been able to find any answers.

Wiki says "
Observation Floor
In addition to regular offices, the top 26th floor also accommodated two observation areas looking out over the Boston skyline. Access was free to the public and a Reception and Information Desk was staffed during normal business hours."

But they don't say when it stopped functioning as a public space.

Anyone know?

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 8.42.44 PM.png

This is more of a question, so maybe it belongs somewhere else? If so, sorry about that. Every time I read/hear about or see the old JHT observation deck in archival footage I wonder when it closed and what's in that space now, but haven't really been able to find any answers.

Wiki says "
Observation Floor
In addition to regular offices, the top 26th floor also accommodated two observation areas looking out over the Boston skyline. Access was free to the public and a Reception and Information Desk was staffed during normal business hours."

Anyone know?

View attachment 40486
With CRE the way it is, I don't get why the owners of this building wouldn't wanna capitalize on having the observation deck back as a major tourist attraction and making money on this. Seems like a no-brainer.

Absolutely. I also like the bit about: "Access was free to the public and a Reception and Information Desk was staffed during normal business hours."

A privately owned amenity free to the public -- insanity!

With CRE the way it is, I don't get why the owners of this building wouldn't wanna capitalize on having the observation deck back as a major tourist attraction and making money on this. Seems like a no-brainer.

Security concerns, upfront investment in building out the space and also partitioning off a visitor-specific lobby and elevators(assuming two required by code), annual operating costs plus the risk of upsetting existing business tenants by reducing the quality of their experience.

Security concerns, upfront investment in building out the space and also partitioning off a visitor-specific lobby and elevators(assuming two required by code), annual operating costs plus the risk of upsetting existing business tenants by reducing the quality of their experience.

Exactly! I think that's why you see the new View Boston at the Prudential Center with a new dedicated lobby and private elevators for JUST the observation deck. Now, there is no mixing of office tenants and tourists.

With the Hancock, you had the SAME lobby as the office tenants. It wasn't segregated. I never remember it being free. I think you showed your ticket once you reached the observation floor. It was NEVER 360 that I remember. It was basically a u-shaped observation floor with the main focus on the East with the city view. It was more impressive than the Prudential just because it was so much closer to the downtown financial district. However, the new View Boston is light years ahead of the old Hancock with 360 views and outside terrace now. I'm not sure another observation is needed at the Hancock anymore. They would have to spend millions like they did at Prudential, and I wonder if there is the market for two such similar observation experiences? I do think they should have recreated the lobby as was proposed several years ago with a redesigned plaza out front and first floor retail. I think that proposal was NOT widely liked, though. I think architects hated it, but I've never liked the street level experience of the Hancock. (200 Clarendon) I personally don't think it's good urban design at the street level, but I do appreciate the monolithic architecture of the building as a whole.

Wiki says "
Observation Floor

Anyone know?

My understanding: It closed after the 9/11 attacks in 2001 due to security concerns and it never re-opened. It's now used for private functions, meetings, and conference space by the tenants of the building. I think I read somewhere that the building owners are making more money as a private function space than they ever did as an observation deck. As I mentioned in my other response, I move to Boston in 1987, and I never remember it being free. It was a modest fee to ride the shared elevator up to the observation floor with some good exhibits too.

My understanding: It closed after the 9/11 attacks in 2001 due to security concerns and it never re-opened. It's now used for private functions, meetings, and conference space by the tenants of the building. I think I read somewhere that the building owners are making more money as a private function space than they ever did as an observation deck.

That's all true and accurate for the observation deck at 200 Clarndon (the "new" JHT). I'm asking about the observation deck in the 1947 Berkeley Building (the "old" Hancock building).

That's all true and accurate for the observation deck at 200 Clarndon (the "new" JHT). I'm asking about the observation deck in the 1947 Berkeley Building (the "old" Hancock building).

Whoops. Sorry about that. I can only assume it closed when the new John Hancock opened in the early 70's.

Probably true. That's still a shame, though -- especially as the old observation deck was free to the public. The deck at the Custom House is still open and free to the public (which is awesome) and that place is amazing. Especially with 200 Clarendon's deck closed, I'd love to see the Berkeley one re-opened.

such a shame that something as gross and nondescript as center plaza (vomit -- at both the building and the stupid name) blocks that courthouse from sight for all who aren't going to deal with some legal nonsense or serve jury duty.

tear that shitty semi-circular abomination down yesterday.

Back