Do You Like Cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, er thanks.

I guess dogs can be just as tasty as cats.

Its just f*cking barbaric.

Well it really depends on your cultural background. I mean the same can be said about how Americans eat beef which the Indians believe is extremely barbaric. However, from our perspective, we don't feel the same.

Say hello to your friend.

She knows how to cook you a nice treat, as far as you see it!

Goodnight!

I've learned so much today. I don't know why I hadn't clicked on this thread before. There are three cat-related stories that are pretty cool in the context of Boston architecture:

1. The Prudential Tower's "fabric"

Did you know that the Prudential Tower's green-patterned skin was inspired by the architect's cat's scratching post? The scratching post was green and textured with off-set blocks, and that scratching post became the inspiration for one of Boston's architectural landmarks.

2. A Cat Dies, 500 Boylston is Born

Did you know that shortly before the building was set to open, a stray cat got into the basement of One Exeter Plaza and was electrocuted, causing a fire? The fire had big implications because it exposed faulty wiring and construction methods and it postponed the opening of the building by over a year. Ugly legal battles further tied up the development.

The anchor tenant jumped ship and signed a lease at the proposed 500 Boylston Street development, securing the construction of this major new landmark in the Back Bay. Hines later said if they did not have an anchor tenant by the first of that year, they were actually going to sell the block to a hotelier who had plans to redevelop the existing properties. So indirectly, it was a cat's death that caused 500 Boylston to rise behind Trinity Church!

3. Ray Flynn, Chuck Turner, Eric Clapton and Jack, the mayor's cat:

The third cat story in Boston real estate is one I'm guessing most of you already know. It's legendary. Jack, former Mayor Ray Flynn beloved calico, was allowed free-range at City Hall for much of Ray's tenure.

When Chuck Turner was first elected to the City Council, he protested because he was very allergic to cats. For awhile, Ray ignored Chuck's complaints. But then at the famous St. Patrick's Day brunch, Ray actually ridiculed Chuck saying he was "scared of kitties".

Chuck took action by holding one of his trademark, whimsical press conferences the following morning. He gathered the local media at City Hall for his press conference and began by (naturally) going on a tirade about how "everyone is racist against me". People weren't exactly sure what to make of the incoherent ramblings, Chuck was new on the scene after all so people weren't yet used to this incoherent race-baiting.

After concluding his racism tirade, Chuck switched gears and read excerpts from constituent letters describing various problems they've had with neighbor's cats.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, Chuck Turner pulled Mayor Flynn's cat out of a box and held it up to the audience by the nape of it's neck, shaking it at the reporters. Chuck Turner then proceeded to noisily devour the cat alive in front of the stunned audience.

Smacking his blood-soaked lips after tearing the kitty to shreds, he tossed the mangled carcass at the Boston Herald reporter, Sally McCallister. Sally was an old salt, a 40-year veteren of Boston's newspapers who was never at a loss for colorful words. Until now. She just held the bloody chewed-up carcass in her hands in frozen shock. Nobody in the press conference moved or even breathed.

Breaking the silence, Chuck winked at Sally, raised his arms and bellowed, "lay down Sally, I'll rest you in my arms. Don't you think you want some one to talk to?"

The audience, stunned into silence, suddenly realized the Eric Clapton reference. To everyone's sudden amusement, that's when Chuck pulled out his banjo and the entire room erupted into a giant sing-along of Clapton's 1975 hit "Lay Down Sally"

The reason why this story is important to Boston real estate is because Ray Rlynn was so distraught that he approved International Place that afternoon in a drunken, depressed daze. Months later, during a rare moment of sobriety, Ray noticed the plans for the project that he had approved and was heard to say "the granite is PINK?"

---

All of the above stories aren't not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back