Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street | Downtown

Re: Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street |

The Motormart Garage is significant, both from an historical and a design perspective. By comparison, The Dock Square Garage, though built of better materials than a similarly programmed contemporary building, has all the charm of a saw-horse. Make it go away, and replace it with a proper urban building.

Beton, I get it, the MM Garage is beautiful, the Dock Square Garage is not! But to say....bury the damn thing...or..we don't need garages...or...make it go away, it's not gonna happen. It ain't going away unless the city adds a huge sweetener (Magic alrealy alluded to this) for the developer and I don't think any of us see that happening. Anyway, I do see everyone's point about getting rid of the garage, it's awful. And we all have our unrealistic expectations from developers. Yours is...make it go away...mine is...bury the damn power poles around your property if you're gonna build a certain size building in the city.

Last edited:

mods, please update thread title to:

Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street | Government Center

For those interested in the cost of garages, Massport has published a RFQ for a new above ground garage for Terminal E with 2,000 spaces. No land acquisition cost, little/no demolition cost, no infrastructure relocation cost, no building on top. Cost per space is $47,500.

This honestly now looks pretty good IMO.

Project approved on a vote of 3-1 by BPDA. Landsmark opposed.

Faneuil Hall Marketplace and Conservancy in favor Preservation Alliance and Freedom Trail Foundation opposed.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ct-advances/YLsTbiYnsuuSV8U6GLAScK/story.html

At first glance in the last presentation, I understood the facade to be terra cotta. I didn't look too much into it then, but I'm very pleased it is actually a metal facade. With that in mind, this really reminds me of some of the new and smaller buildings going up in London. Still though, I find this 10x worse than the original proposal.

mods, please update thread title to:

Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street | Downtown

It will never offend or impress anyone.
Still, The Greenway might just be amazing in 5~10 years.

Last edited:
Question for the intelligentsia here: This parcel is in a very visible part of the city, however, I am sure there are limitations on height, etc.

Is it preferable to have something bland with lots of brick that kind of blends in, like the new render, or would something that is more of a "statement" by a starchitect like Herzog & DeMuron or Hadid be welcome that stands apart from the 19th-century fabric of the area?

No intelligentsia, but I'll take Herzog & DeMuron or any equivalent caliber in a prominent location over a background building.. Here and any parcel on the Greenway, North Kenmore, any gateway location, etc. (though note this isn't brick I'm pretty sure.. Looks like some metal facade).

I honestly think it looks pretty good. Better than the more recent renders.

Back