Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street | Downtown

Re: Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street |

Another brainless product of the neverending capitulation to smallminded local interests over the common good.

Last edited:

Thar she blows.

The outcome–obvious and transparent;
A great project turned into fucking garbage.
This should infuriate Marty Walsh.

Predictably, every possible ounce of visual interest and vitality have been bled form the concept. I recall criticizing the the initial design as "Bjarke Ingels on the cheap." The new renderings are so watered down, you can't even see the influence anymore. Another inhabitable massing model. Yay!

Just when you thought you've seen everything. This; just another example demonstrating how these 'Impact Advisory Groups' cleverly convene–and defraud Boston by reducing great projects into lousy ones, and gradually build a less great City. How is the lack of doing something great when you could have done something great–in any way, benefiting the public good?

No additional perspectives required (Stick Take Five);

this angle tells all....

Last edited:

^ In theory, IAGs can bring value and improve a result. In practice here in Boston (and probably elsewhere) the selection process is highly politicized, and many of those empaneled have deficient knowledge of the built environment; others arrive with "an agenda." To put it another way, we're using a good recipe and "bad" ingredients.

I've come to believe that it's incumbent upon the BPDA & BCDC to play a significant role in better educating IAG members (and the general population) on a spectrum of topics related to architecture and urbanism.

What we need is a Boston resident who cares deeply about the built environment and is well versed in architecture and urbanism to apply to be on the board.

^^in a hoot–i got invited by City Hall to run for a seat on the Downtown Planning Board.

That actually looks pretty cool 👀

Reminds me of a cheap, knocked-down Mercedes House in NYC:

mercedes-house-01-645x290.jpg

Well, i don't dislike the glass. But the far end should be increased by 5~6 floors.

(i think) the Harbor Garage is going to be the last shadow maker tower.

Give it a more dramatic downward slope to get shadow off the Greenway.

Update;

Wow! in reference to the Mercedes House,

why go crapturd instead of what would work so well for this site?

Looks like yall got the retail u wanted...

So, it came to the attention of the Boston Preservation Alliance that this is a really craptastic proposal... gnashing of teeth & rending of garments ensued.

https://www.universalhub.com/2019/preservationists-proposed-replacement-hard-rock

P.S. I'm all for BPA in the aggregate. But, to paint such a ridiculously overwrought and melodramatic depiction as, "[W]hen the most recent renderings were shown to our Board of Directors there was a collective gasp and unanimous shaking of heads," in an opposition letter, opens yourself to all kinds of ridicule....

So, it came to the attention of the Boston Preservation Alliance that this is a really craptastic proposal... gnashing of teeth & rending of garments ensued.

https://www.universalhub.com/2019/preservationists-proposed-replacement-hard-rock

P.S. I'm all for BPA in the aggregate. But, to paint such a ridiculously overwrought and melodramatic depiction as, "[W]hen the most recent renderings were shown to our Board of Directors there was a collective gasp and unanimous shaking of heads," in an opposition letter, opens yourself to all kinds of ridicule....

I don't think they'll face much ridicule - people love this pearl clutching approach from their activist groups. I do agree with them that there should be a push to bring down the garage all together instead of the lipstick on a pig approach, but come on folks: look at what's on the other side of Quincy Market. Heck, there's a pomo tower taller than this proposal (200 State) incorporated directly into the marketplace.

Across North St, this building would face the Haymarket Hotel (yet to even break ground) and the Bostonian, which is nice but certainly isn't a historical gem. They need to can it with the "looming over historical sites" nonsense.

(and FWIW, Quincy Market isn't a historical gem, it's a 1980s mall built into a historical building that spent most of the 20th century surrounded by parked cars and poultry guts).

EDIT: I see that no one (myself included) posted the BCDC presentation from December that BPA is reacting to, so here it is:

http://www.bostonplans.org/document...ck-square-garage-bcdc-presentation-2018-12-18

If you look at it without the context of the BPA's toddler tantrum, I think it's fine. Would have preferred thin towers, would have preferred no garage, but it's fine.

"[W]hen the most recent renderings were shown to our Board of Directors there was a collective gasp and unanimous shaking of heads,"

Woe! Woe! I cried, and from a far corner a chant of "blasphemy" slowly rose and encompassed the room until all but those who were in shock and unable to speak took part, for this was surely the work of a godless man. One poor fellow dropped to his knees clutching at his heart, while another, surely gone mad, brought his head repeatedly against the nearest wall. Our voices died out as we began to grasp the truth -- that we had little power to prevent this catastrophe. The men stood in solemn stoicism while the women wept.

This is just ...not good.

The BPA reaction is hilarious. It's reminiscent of an early b&w silent film with all of the outrageously hammy over acting.

It's a shit proposal... hard to disagree with the BPA in that regard. I'm not sure what can be done though that will satisfy them?

It's a shit proposal... hard to disagree with the BPA in that regard. I'm not sure what can be done though that will satisfy them?

Well that's the crux of it, isn't it? Aside from some pastiche Federalist po-mo fantasy, what would the BPA not find blasphemous? I'd love to sit in and watch a design charette to see what happens if the BPA had the opportunity to develop the site. I'd literally pay money to sit in a room with them for 8-10 hours and see what sort of god awful Lincoln-log masterpiece (re: dumpster fire) they'd collectively come up with to save ye olde Boston. An complete tear-down as they advocate for, would likely mean the developer would need to go higher. The garage, in it's current form, gots to go.

Kind of a no win situation here...

This proposal has gotten exponentially worse with each successive iteration.

The best and highest use for this site would be as a headhouse for the NSRL's "Central Station." I wonder if Santiago Calatrava will still be alive then... :-/

The best and highest use for this site would be as a headhouse for the NSRL's "Central Station." I wonder if Santiago Calatrava will still be alive then... :-/

So we can get another 5 billion dollar whale skeleton? No thanks... :)

Oh god no please. Headhouses should be integrated into buildings or, at worst, take up some fraction of the sidewalk. Transit stations shouldn't be starchitecture.

Back