Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

Re: Emerson college expansion into Boylston Place

by definition, a DJ is not live music.

You're parents probably didn't think what you listened to was live music either. Such is the circle of life. ;)

In any case, I'd rather be a DJ with a solid understanding or recording mixing and beat creation than be the 50,000th person out of Boston doing a bad Creed knock-off.

I've never really been much of a clubber (despite my user icon), but I still see this as a bad thing. I don't really like the crowds at places like the Estate, but Boston is in very short supply of these types of places and they're necessary for a city to have a diverse nightlife.

Way too much money being made in a place like that for it not to be relocated somewhere else. I can see Emerson keeping retail there but not clubs. They don't want any of their students to be the next Karina Holmer, the Swedish nanny found chopped up in a dumpster outside all the nightclubs on the Alley.

Has anyone noticed the near dominance of liquor licenses in the core of the city? I think the Sweetwater and whatever Zanzibar (Dating myself, Links Club anyone?) is called now being razed is not going to impact ones ability to receive alcohol Downtown.

We have an area with development potential being developed. Emerson and Suffolk get a pass here only because what they have done in the past 20 years with that area of the Common. Would we rather have had Emerson in Lawrence and have a crappy corner on The Common? (Oops, dating myself again).

Let's hope Mrs. Crowninshield and Fosbury Winthorpe find a new home for their Summer Stock once The Tavern is closed up.

Even without Emerson it would have come up on its own, it's too good of a spot to have remained what it was and frankly its potential far exceeds yet more institutional garbage.

Even without Emerson it would have come up on its own, it's too good of a spot to have remained what it was and frankly its potential far exceeds yet more institutional garbage.

That's a pretty big "What If." You'd have to assume some combination of the Ritz still being built despite a still existing Combat Zone and/or the Chinatown Neighborhood Coalition having the political pull on it's own to close the Zone down sans gigantic institutional pull. Personally, I don't think either is likely, and at the very least they're both pretty unlikely.

I would agree on the Combat Zone proper, rather I'm referring to Boylston along the south side of the Common. I think eventually as Boston kind of came back into its own in the 1980s and 90s some visionary developer, Ron Druker perhaps, might have said to himself, gee whiz, this is a hell of an opportunity, luxury apartments and/or condos, a hotel and perhaps some office space with incredible views of the park, the Public Garden and across to Beacon Hill and maybe even from some top floor units, the Charles.

I'd rather college kids than luxury housing tenants. allows for more change in the future.

I might agree if it was Tufts or BC, at least then there's a chance of someone worth looking at.

The landscape changes just like the seasons. I was a grad student at Emerson in the early 90s. There were always dust-ups: liquor + women = fisticuffs.

A recent late-night layover (waiting for a taxi) in front of the W was like a tryout for The Ultimate Fighter. About a dozen knuckleheads looking to introduce a new friend to their shod foot, or the sidewalk.

Sometimes I'm glad to be middle-aged...

Uber

I've only ever used Uber to leave my apartment. How is it during peak bar-crowd crunch? Is it not confusing to find your Uber amidst the throngs of revelers and regular old cabs?

In news related to this specific area and Emerson: Spoke w/ my bartender friend at the Tam who said that Emerson is offering massive bucks to each business on that block. So far all offers have been turned down, but the offers, as you can imagine, keep getting larger. Here's hoping they keep getting rejected. It'd be another super block development that destroys the kind of fine-grained urbanism that doesn't seem to get built much at this point in time.

Here's hoping they keep getting rejected. It'd be another super block development that destroys the kind of fine-grained urbanism that doesn't seem to get built much at this point in time.

Exactly. That fine-grained urbanism is a precious, finite resource that will not be returning any time in the foreseeable future. It needs to be guarded tightly - and this is an example of it being extremely fine-grained, extremely urbane, and extremely appealing. Quality of life is built on urban moments like Boylston Place.

Be a shame to see a quirky spot like that blotted out.

While I would lament the loss of Paul, the bartender, the Tam and the Intermission Lounge, I would prefer the alternative if it is to tear down and replace those buildings with a multi-use project including street-level retail/restaurants, dormitories, and classroom space - or even better, if they included a hotel as part of it to pay their loans.

Well they always speak very highly of you. In fact, they find your lack of loyalty disturbing.

Are we sure Emerson would take the building down though? Have they ever done that with any of their other properties? From what I can tell, they've all been rehab jobs. What ends up on the first floor if Emerson takes over is another question, although the Dunks, Emerson cafe, and piano store are all there on the Boylston Stretch.

Be a shame to see a quirky spot like that blotted out.

Agree, inevitable though. It's also one of the few spots in Boston that looks like (with a bit of squinting) a Manhattan street with a foreground grab bag of different ages/styles and towers as a backdrop.

Back