Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

Re: Emerson college expansion into Boylston Place

Just skimmed the institutional plan. I didn't know that the dormitory at 1-3 Boylston Place will be used (if built) to relocate students from the Little Building while that building undergoes extensive renovation. The new dormitory will house half the students while those dorms are renovated and the other half in turn.

I understand people's concern about the project replacing street-level use by the public but I don't know if it will really be missed ... except by 20-year old twinks on Thursday nights.

Just skimmed the institutional plan. I didn't know that the dormitory at 1-3 Boylston Place will be used (if built) to relocate students from the Little Building while that building undergoes extensive renovation. The new dormitory will house half the students while those dorms are renovated and the other half in turn.

I understand people's concern about the project replacing street-level use by the public but I don't know if it will really be missed ... except by 20-year old twinks on Thursday nights.

It's not Estate itself that I'm fighting for, it's the deadening of a spot that currently has life, more than people going in and out of their dorm.

It's not Estate itself that I'm fighting for, it's the deadening of a spot that currently has life, more than people going in and out of their dorm.

Agree. It's a long and unfortunate tactic of urban-renewal fans in Boston and elsewhere in the US to take the current state or use of a given building and use that as an argument to demo the entire building.

In this case, we have a highly urbane, beautiful row of 19th-century buildings tucked away in an alley - allowing for the sort of interestingness, serendipity, and surprise that any half-assed city with irregular, unexpected alleys and courtyards that developed as a result of forgotten historical processes should offer. London has a lot of this; Boston less.

Maybe the current use of one of these buildings - to house Estate - is a bit seedy. But that doesn't mean its buildings are fundamentally defective and need to be replaced - especially when that replacement is a 15-story crap dorm with rooms similar to where Kramer put up his Japanese businessmen.

The question is what has more promise for the city as an interesting, high-quality-of-life, urban, attractive place: a mid-rise dorm with highly limited groundfloor potential (controlled by Emerson), or the 19th-century structure currently holding Estate - and from which Estate will one day leave?

Estate isn't forever. But if we get this dorm, for the rest of our lives it effectively will be.

Approved by the BRA yesterday.

Bring on the bore... Boylston Place is going the way of the Dodo.

It's the gray tower rising in the center of the image.

From the latest BRA release:

Emerson-College-1-3-Boylston-Place_PNF.jpg

New Dorm Approved at Emerson College
Total Project Cost: $63 million
Total SF: 89,900 square feet
Student Beds: approximately 400
Jobs: 200 construction jobs
LEED: Gold

The BRA Board approved a new dormitory for 1-3 Boylston Place located adjacent to Emerson College’s existing campus in Downtown Boston as part of an amendment to Emerson College’s Institutional Master Place (IMP). The

1-3 Boylston Place Residence Hall will house approximately 400 students. In the short term the new dorm will allow for repairs to be made at the Little Building dorm and will allow Emerson to house more students upon completion of those repairs.
The $63 million dorm will be approximately 89,900 square feet and rise 171 feet, featuring an active ground floor with a cafe open to the public. The project also includes public realm improvements to Boylston Place.

The IMP amendment also allows Emerson College to restore The Little Building at 80 Boylston Street, convert the ground floor of The Walker Building at 122 and 124 Boylston Street from retail space to a student dining facility, and upgrade the HVAC system at 216 Tremont Street.

The BRA is acting in a highly suspect way right now, as the Walsh administration-in-waiting has already noted. For the most part I'm fairly happy with the results, but this particular project seems both especially suspect and particularly unfortunate.

A few things I'm not clear on:

1) Did this go through any of the standard processes? I don't recall hearing anything about meetings, public input, etc., that are standard for other projects. Then overnight it's "approved."

2) Why did NABB keep silent?

3) Is there really nobody who cares about losing a really great space to this crap? Why the silence on this one from the neighborhood?

Overall, I see this as a really unfortunate development. While none of the other new projects are destroying great existing urban spaces and leave little to protest other than the imagined BS items of "shadows," "wind corridors," "too tall" or "not enough green space," this one is a destructive, net-negative project that destroys a fantastic urban place and replaces it with the crappiest sort of architecture out there (non-high-budget, barebones contemporary institutional Modernism).

If there's a project to hold up as an example of the lame-duck-Menino BRA going off the deep edge and in need of being overturned, this is it. I hope NABB or lovers of architecture come out, protest this on the Common, and make a stink of it. Let this be the start of the backlash against the BRA and the uber-crony real estate development that has characterized the late Menino period.

the city of Boston has become a College dorm.
Non-profit residential housing (Great work)

BRA is a toxic planning agency which has no real talent just a bunch of political favors

Why would NABB take a position? This isn't Back Bay.

Fair point. I was thinking about other nearby projects NABB has felt it had jurisdiction over.

Still: was there any public process in this? This seems to have left out many steps in terms of engaging the public versus other projects. Is there any neighborhood group that has "jurisdiction" over the area?

The BRA is acting in a highly suspect way right now, as the Walsh administration-in-waiting has already noted. For the most part I'm fairly happy with the results, but this particular project seems both especially suspect and particularly unfortunate.

A few things I'm not clear on:

1) Did this go through any of the standard processes? I don't recall hearing anything about meetings, public input, etc., that are standard for other projects. Then overnight it's "approved."

2) Why did NABB keep silent?

3) Is there really nobody who cares about losing a really great space to this crap? Why the silence on this one from the neighborhood?

Overall, I see this as a really unfortunate development. While none of the other new projects are destroying great existing urban spaces and leave little to protest other than the imagined BS items of "shadows," "wind corridors," "too tall" or "not enough green space," this one is a destructive, net-negative project that destroys a fantastic urban place and replaces it with the crappiest sort of architecture out there (non-high-budget, barebones contemporary institutional Modernism).

If there's a project to hold up as an example of the lame-duck-Menino BRA going off the deep edge and in need of being overturned, this is it. I hope NABB or lovers of architecture come out, protest this on the Common, and make a stink of it. Let this be the start of the backlash against the BRA and the uber-crony real estate development that has characterized the late Menino period.

This definitely went through some public process as it had been before the BRA numerous times previously (and its reduced height/scale is the result of complaints). I'm not sure about the process, but institutional IMP projects may go through a different process than Large Project Review / PDA projects?

Can anybody pull up a map of the city of Boston and what areas are owned by the colleges highlighted in color.

This would be very interesting.

The City of Boston has had a huge student population for a long time. The recent mandated dorm construction is actually having a positive impact on housing availability in the city -- the students are moving out of the for-profit rentals and into the dorms (under somewhat more supervision). This is the only reason why Boston's population was able to grow in the last decade, without apparently adding "housing units". (The new housing coming on now was not available for that growth; and the dorms were not counted as housing).

Students move out of the apartments; residents can move in. Seems like a good deal to me.

BRA is a toxic planning agency which has no real talent just a bunch of political favors

Did you even take a moment to think before typing that?

In the last 5 years, more private housing has been built in Boston than in the previous 30. In fact, for the first time since the 1930's, Boston's population actually has GROWN....and is beginning to grow significantly.

Ironically what has been mostly criticized has been the explosion of high end luxury housing downtown, compared to middle income housing - - is that what you call "non-profit residential"??????

Please. We all get it, you have an agenda. As the saying goes, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - - - but not to their own facts".

Last edited:
TAXES DETROIT DORMS THEY'LL GET US ALL AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The City of Boston has had a huge student population for a long time. The recent mandated dorm construction is actually having a positive impact on housing availability in the city -- the students are moving out of the for-profit rentals and into the dorms (under somewhat more supervision). This is the only reason why Boston's population was able to grow in the last decade, without apparently adding "housing units". (The new housing coming on now was not available for that growth; and the dorms were not counted as housing).

Students move out of the apartments; residents can move in. Seems like a good deal to me.

Jeff -- actually housing units and population are only loosely coupled:

1) Not all housing units are equal:
a] obviously the number of bedrooms and other features has an impact on potential population

b] so too does the structure of the building -- e.g. a family in a 3 decker

c] very significantly the ownership structure -- e.g. the family in a 3 decker that they own

2) Not all populations are equal -- in Major Global Cities such as Boston there are a lot of places owned by but only occasionally used by or seasonally, etc. -- e.g. Tom & Gisellle's new pad under construction next to Bob Kraft

3) Times are always a changin and so are uses of structures and how they fit in the above

The result of the above is that while you could track the population of Boston from say 1900 until 1940 fairly easily by counting either units or people -- today its a lot more complicated

Take a building on Marlborough Street in the Back Bay which was originally a single family residence for a a fairly prosperous family of say 8 in 1900

That building in the past 100 years could have been a rooming house for 30 or a frat houise with 20 residents when the Back Bay was declining in desirability

Later it became 5 Condos housing 15 and today its back to an uber-scale single family residence housing 4

3 deckers in Southy, Broiwnstones in the South End, Bricks in the North End, Woods in East Cambridge, Cambridge Port, etc have all gone through similar transformations in Boston and Cambridge over the past 100 years

And then you get to think about how structures built for commercial, religious and industrial uses are being repurposed for residences -- once again sometimes following several stages of occupation with varying tenants, family structures, ownership, income, density

All in All -- What you can say about Boston which is not necessarily generic in US urban areas -- is that for the first time in many decades there is significant amount of from ground-up construction of new housing units in many price ranges, sizes and locations throughout Boston / Cambridge / Sommerville

The neighborhood didn't object because there isn't a (residential) neighborhood here. Closest residential areas would be Bay Village and Chinatown, and they aren't close enough to care.

Back Bay ends at Arlington Street under anyone's definition (NABB's, BRA's, etc)

Wow, it really is awful to tear down these buildings for a dorm. The blandification continues.

Last edited:

Back