Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

Hillbilly Ranch... Sleepy LaBeef isn't coming back in thru that door.

Toby -- Emerson is all about Media & Entertainment -- we should find out who bought Frank's Giant Rt-1 Cactus and start a petition for Emerson to buy it and install it at the entrance to the New Dorm

images

After all if we can save the Citgo and the Shell in Cambridge -- we can't let the Cactus go without a fight

^ LOVE this idea! Better yet install it on the roof of the new dorm!

I don't get it. Why would anyone want to bring the Hill Top Steak House Cactus down to Boston? It wasn't located in the city, it's wasn't an iconic Boston attraction. I would imagine the only people who were familiar with the sign were people on the north shore who drove down Route 1 in Saugus. I imagine there are thousands of people in Boston, on the south shore, western burbs who had never even seen the sign except in newspaper ads or something similar. I think I drove past it once in all my life. To me, it has absolutely nothing to do with Boston. opps, sorry, this has nothing to do with the Emerson Dorm. Ugh.

thanks, Padre but sometimes, some of the suggestions that pop up here (there were also suggestions of bringing the Hilltop sign down to the Greenway) make it difficult to distinguish what's a joke/tongue-in-cheek or what's a serious idea (not to throw cold water on anyone's ideas). Glad all the talk about the Hilltop sign was just play. :) Happy New Year!

On the other hand, I could see a herd of fiberglass cattle grazing on the Greenway.

Words like "replacing the facade" and "adding 250 more beds" concern me about the Little Building. I seem to recall reading that they proposed adding a couple floors to the top of the building... I hope they don't fuck it up and ruin that structure.

I'll take a look through the BRA filings again, but as I recall the plans seemed to consist of filling in the unused sections of the building.

*edit*

Here's the PNF: http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/08700151-8ea1-48c3-a29c-7e95b9d48955

and from the urban design section on pg. 3-14.

"The proposed Little Building project consists primarily of interior renovation along with replacement and restoration of exterior façade materials. A new 13th story will be constructed entirely behind the existing 14’-4” tall parapet. New common rooms and student social space will be housed in two story glass ‘cubes’ partially infilling the three recessed bays on Tremont Street."

Good news on the Little Building's facade- it is in sad, sad shape. It'd be nice to finally take that scaffolding on the Boylston/Tremont corner down.

The Estate and Sweetwater Tavern have both closed as of today. Apparently demolition is imminent. I'm still pissed about this project. Sterilization of the Alley is a net negative in my opinion...

The Estate and Sweetwater Tavern have both closed as of today. Apparently demolition is imminent. I'm still pissed about this project. Sterilization of the Alley is a net negative in my opinion...

The end of the month for The Estate actually. They have farewell events scheduled through this weekend.

This is probably the worst project in Boston today.

Unbelievably crappy that an allegedly non-profit organization is ransacking the interesting and historic parts of the city.

Sweetwater was packed the past few weeks.

Emerson killed a very popular dive.

The end of the month for The Estate actually. They have farewell events scheduled through this weekend.

Ah, I heard their last gay thursday night was last week, so I figured that last weekend was the end for the club.

I only ate at Sweetwater one time, but I remember it being the BEST cheeseburger i had ever eaten. To hear it called a dive makes me think that maybe I was drunker than I remember when I ate there. Anyone else have a really good experience at Sweetwater? Anyone else sad to see it go?

I haven't been there for a few years, but there was a point in time when I spent quite a bit of time at Sweetwater. Can't speak to the atmosphere on weekend nights as I was usually there on the early side, after school/work for happy hours. I will miss it because it was a comfortable casual watering hole. This place was not trendy, it wasn't upscale, it wasn't a sports bar nor was it a faux irish bar all of which seem to populate much of the surrounding area. The unfortunate reality seems to be that when downtown loses these types of places they are not being adequately replaced by similar new venues.

Back