Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

Ah, I heard their last gay thursday night was last week, so I figured that last weekend was the end for the club.

I was there and it was amazing. They had the balcony open on a Thursday for what felt like the first time in forever. I'll miss it. I thought it was weird that they stopped a week early, but oh well. Probably back to Whisky Saigon :(

I only ate at Sweetwater one time, but I remember it being the BEST cheeseburger i had ever eaten. To hear it called a dive makes me think that maybe I was drunker than I remember when I ate there. Anyone else have a really good experience at Sweetwater? Anyone else sad to see it go?

You must have been pretty drunk. They were decent, but nothing earth shattering.

This is an awful project, and I'm surprised Walsh/BRA/preservationists let it through. Boylston Place has such a great European feel to it. I still remember discovering it while I was walking down the street. It's absolutely the kind of thing you'd expect in London or Dublin. These kinds of places can't/won't be built anymore. Once they're gone, they're gone.

It's such a shame that a school like Emerson that focuses on the arts and creativity would willfully destroy this unique part of Boston for an uninspiring dorm. The least they could have done would have been to preserve all of the facades, not just one of them.

Perfectly said. Can we please find a way to get this to the president of Emerson College? This project is disgusting for what we lose, and for what we'll be stuck with.

This is an awful project, and I'm surprised Walsh/BRA/preservationists let it through. Boylston Place has such a great European feel to it. I still remember discovering it while I was walking down the street. It's absolutely the kind of thing you'd expect in London or Dublin. These kinds of places can't/won't be built anymore. Once they're gone, they're gone.

It's such a shame that a school like Emerson that focuses on the arts and creativity would willfully destroy this unique part of Boston for an uninspiring dorm. The least they could have done would have been to preserve all of the facades, not just one of them.

Perfectly said. Can we please find a way to get this to the president of Emerson College? This project is disgusting for what we lose, and for what we'll be stuck with.

Why would Emerson's president give a shit? They're so desperate for additional student housing they'd demolish the Paramount if they could get it through the BRA.

Why would Emerson's president give a shit? They're so desperate for additional student housing they'd demolish the Paramount if they could get it through the BRA.

The City is putting intense pressure on all the schools to increase their student housing (and take some rental pressure off of the neighborhoods).

The only way to really do something about this tower is to get the State to move quickly on the plan to redevelop the Transportation building, and let Emerson build a tower there instead.

It's too late to do anything. This train has already left the station. Sad truth.

There is ample underutilized or vacant land south of stuart street, but maybe a couple of blocks away is too far to be desirable.

The City is putting intense pressure on all the schools to increase their student housing (and take some rental pressure off of the neighborhoods).

The only way to really do something about this tower is to get the State to move quickly on the plan to redevelop the Transportation building, and let Emerson build a tower there instead.

They're not going to do anything. But you can at least make them feel like the a**holes they are.

They're not going to do anything. But you can at least make them feel like the a**holes they are.

Honestly, Emerson has done SO much to improve the Theater District over the past decade that I'm willing to let this one slide. What other college in the city has had such a visible, positive impact on their surrounding neighborhood?

The campus-ization of Boylston Place is unfortunate, but calling Emerson a**holes strikes me as a case of short term memory loss.

I'm just happy they are keeping the facade of 3 Boylston Place. 1 & 2 probably were the least interesting facades of 1-6.

Give it time. I have a good feeling about this...

A huge loss. This is one of Boston's most serendipitous, Old World spots.

Soon it will be another crappy pre-fab panel building for a middling college and be more reminiscent of new construction in Orlando than Strasbourg.

^^ Middling college? Half the communication industry's leadership came through Emerson (I am not one of them though). I'm talking about WPP / Omnicom / IPG, not some local PR firm. An Emerson degree for grads opens a lot of doors for people looking to work at the Ogilvys, GroupMs, McCanns, OMDs, J Walter Thompsons etc. of the world.

Hate what they're doing to this building, though - I am with you on that.

^^ Middling college? Half the communication industry's leadership came through Emerson (I am not one of them though). I'm talking about WPP / Omnicom / IPG, not some local PR firm. An Emerson degree for grads opens a lot of doors for people looking to work at the Ogilvys, GroupMs, McCanns, OMDs, J Walter Thompsons etc. of the world.

Hate what they're doing to this building, though - I am with you on that.

Meh. I know more Emerson grads than I can count on my hands. They're all dumber than door knobs.

But that's neither here nor there.

A huge loss. This is one of Boston's most serendipitous, Old World spots.

Soon it will be another crappy pre-fab panel building for a middling college and be more reminiscent of new construction in Orlando than Strasbourg.

Well, at least you didn't make a Hitler comparison. So congrats?

Back