Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

OMG I almost just had a heart attack I thought that was a cop in the last photo ... holding a broom!

Emerson%20Dorm%201.jpg

Emerson%20Dorm%203_1.jpg

Ah, that's what that crane was for. I started my route to DC this morning out of SS, and I was wondeting which developmemt that crane was for. Thanks.

A huge loss. This is one of Boston's most serendipitous, Old World spots.

Soon it will be another crappy pre-fab panel building for a middling college and be more reminiscent of new construction in Orlando than Strasbourg.

What a blow.

What a blow.

Odurandia, meddlepal, etc -- You maybe sort of NIMBY's on this project -- But you have to admit that since Emerson moved to the area near to the Common and DTX -- that things are much improved

That whole corner was not experienceing the Boston Renaissane V2.-- nice old buildings were slowly deteriorating including:
The [now] Cutler Majestic Theatre
The Little Building
The Colonial Theatre
The Paramount Theatre
The Boston Edison Building [now th Ansin Building]

Emerson has invested major dollars and rescued all of them

Odurandia, meddlepal, etc -- You maybe sort of NIMBY's on this project -- But you have to admit that since Emerson moved to the area near to the Common and DTX -- that things are much improved

That whole corner was not experienceing the Boston Renaissane V2.-- nice old buildings were slowly deteriorating including:
The Little Building
The Colonial Theatre
The Paramount Theatre

I'm well aware of the history, doesn't mean I support Emerson (and Suffolks) assassination of downtown Boston though and that's what projects like this are. So I reiterate: Fuck Emerson.

I'm well aware of the history, doesn't mean I support Emerson (and Suffolks) assassination of downtown Boston though and that's what projects like this are. So I reiterate: Fuck Emerson.

Have to agree - we won't ever get something like this back, and it sucks Emerson gutted out a pretty cool little alley full of nightlife.

Have to agree - we won't ever get something like this back, and it sucks Emerson gutted out a pretty cool little alley full of nightlife.

Bakgwailo -- for the born yesterday crowd -- It wasn't always such a neat little alley -- it was just an alley [circa 1970] before it was neat and cool -- and before it was filled with human night life -- it had plenty of rodential nightlife

Note that thanks to the way Boston evolved in an earlier era that there are plenty of other alleys in Boston some even have names and numbers

Bakgwailo -- for the born yesterday crowd -- It wasn't always such a neat little alley -- it was just an alley [circa 1970] before it was neat and cool -- and before it was filled with human night life -- it had plenty of rodential nightlife

Note that thanks to the way Boston evolved in an earlier era that there are plenty of other alleys in Boston some even have names and numbers

I mean, what is your point? Just because it wasn't great in the 70s ? We lost a prewar building and a bunch of clubs/bars/etc in a nice little old world alley, and, no there aren't that many other places in the city like it. BTW, I actually grew up in, and I am from Boston, but thanks for the condescending 'born yesterday crowd' statement.

The Little Building
The Colonial Theatre
The Paramount Theatre

Just because Emerson has helped doesn't mean the college should be able to gut and sterilize other portions of the block. Additionally, I thought the Colonial's fate was still up in the air? Last I heard Emerson wanted to completely destroy it in favor of a student dining hall project.

Just because Emerson has helped doesn't mean the college should be able to gut and sterilize other portions of the block. Additionally, I thought the Colonial's fate was still up in the air? Last I heard Emerson wanted to completely destroy it in favor of a student dining hall project.

Some of boston's best projects have been those that preserve the old while bringing in the new (e.g., exchange place, MT w/ burnham facade, the canvas proposal for the Felt site, lovejoy wharf). I can't speak to boston in the 1970's (my perspective goes back to the 1980's), thus I can't speak for the historic value of this particular site, but generally speaking, this city has proven it can pay homage to site's roots while introducing new construction, and emerson shouldn't be given a pass here.

Back