Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

The neighborhood didn't object because there isn't a (residential) neighborhood here. Closest residential areas would be Bay Village and Chinatown, and they aren't close enough to care.

Back Bay ends at Arlington Street under anyone's definition (NABB's, BRA's, etc)

In fact, condo owners at the W hotel's condo tower did object, claiming that their views would be compromised.

Speaking of condos [and apartments], there are at least 2,000 units within a 400-yard radius of Boylston Pl.:

--One Charles St.
--W Hotel condos
--151 Tremont (Tremont on Common)
--165 Tremont (Grandview)
--170 Tremont (Parkside)
--Ritz towers
--Kensington
--Archstone Boston Common

With 45 Stuart St. going up shortly. True, there is no non-student residential within that Boylston Pl. block itself. But to dismiss those 2,000 units that are well within a quarter-mile of Boylston Pl. is odd, to say the least...

11621028716_34ebe2b11c_b.jpg

11620480443_991a9d42e2_b.jpg

11620241125_411f8babcc_b.jpg

11620229095_ef314b6af7_b.jpg

^Is all that going to be lost to the new dorm?

This is the logical conclusion of having colleges revitalize downtown - they need room to expand in a crowded environment and they don't want the problem the bars bring. They'd much rather the kids go somewhere else and get drunk so that Emerson isn't easily associated with the resulting problems. Those four buildings (Tam, Maria's, Intermission and the Japanese place) on the corner of Tremont and Stuart are probably the next to go. I'm calling it now: By 2020.

^ And when you have colleges in every corner of the city trying to sterilize their academic environs, where is this "somewhere else" for the students to go? Colleges in a city filled with colleges need to realize that they will be associated with drunk students. A lot of these smallish universities need to stop this "Westward Ho!" grow or die mentality too, or else they'll get caught with their pants down when the higher ed bubble bursts.

There will always be somewhere for them to go. Boston isn't going to become a dry city. I don't think the colleges care though, they know students are going to drink but I think ultimately they'd much rather have them drinking on campus in the dorms where they can monitor or control it.

As for the "Westward Ho!" comment. The genie is out of the bottle at this point and until the student loan situation is fixed (never will) they will continue to grow an expand.

That's the first time I've ever heard of colleges wanting students to drink in the dorms... Underclassmen will mostly drink in the dorms, and upperclassmen will mostly drink at bars/off campus. That's how college always is.

And I know that the genie is out of the bottle and it won't change. The smaller universities are behaving very foolishly though.

1 Boylston Pl. (the Estate building) is demolished. The facade of 3 Boylston Pl. (Sweetwater) is retained and given a new foundation. 4 Boylston Pl. (the Tavern Club) is unaffected.

That's the first time I've ever heard of colleges wanting students to drink in the dorms... Underclassmen will mostly drink in the dorms, and upperclassmen will mostly drink at bars/off campus. That's how college always is.

"Want" may be the wrong word since it implies strong desire, but there is definitely a preference for it since they can monitor and control it through the campus police and RA system.

Colleges are not ignorant of the fact kids drink and they know they are going to drink. They want to make sure it's controlled though somehow. They have little or no control when Little Timmy goes off and gets shit-faced in the big bad city gets himself mugged or beaten up or passes out and dies in an alley (or the Charles). Then mommy and daddy are on the phone and the press is involved and it's a whole lot of nastiness that they would prefer to avoid all together.

College is basically very expensive babysitting.

Bring back the Hillbilly Lounge.

Padre -- good to hear from you -- I kinda miss Walkers on Boylston -- where else in the midst of the "High Street" of an Eastern City are you going to see authentic Stetsons on display

^ And when you have colleges in every corner of the city trying to sterilize their academic environs, where is this "somewhere else" for the students to go? Colleges in a city filled with colleges need to realize that they will be associated with drunk students. A lot of these smallish universities need to stop this "Westward Ho!" grow or die mentality too, or else they'll get caught with their pants down when the higher ed bubble bursts.

Busses -- the smaller U's and C's have to find a definitive niche and soon -- the financial bauble isn't the one that they have to understand -- its the fact that 85% [being charitable] of the course material that they offer will soon be essentially free on the Web

That's why the Emerson's, Wentworth's, Bentley's have a leg up -- they already have a recognized brand associated with something which is hard to deliver over the web

As for many of the rest -- they've got about 10 years before they become irrelevant

Back