DOT Parcels | 25-28 Kneeland Street | Chinatown

If you want to walk to be more scenic, just walk over to Harrison to head south to Ink Block. Definitely the same hood.

They are on a team consisting of Brookfield Properties (lead), The Menkiti Group, Hudson Group, and themselves, proposing 302 residential units and 302k SF R&D space. They're up against against some big (and common) names (5 teams total), and the selection process has been pretty quiet. Would be interesting, though..

Like the ground floor outdoor activity. That side of the street needs an activity anchor.

Last edited:
Does anybody have renderings from the Peebles proposal? I can't find anything online.

How about decking/park over the highway rather than the trellis?

$$$$$ - Don't forget the original RFP for these parcels had literally 0 responses. From what I recall the cleanup costs will likely be high, and the sites are capped by the FAA so it's already more difficult to recoup these costs. I don't think there's any real benefit to decking or a park at this location, compared to say Parcel 12 at the high-usage nexus of Mass Ave, Boylston, and Newbury.

TPC Boston Holdings Parcel 25 LLC — known as the Peebles Corp. — and Genesis Cos., together as Parcel 25 Zero Greenway LLC proposing 218 residential units and 309,000 square feet of lab

They must not be hating working with Peebles on Viola if they're willing to do it again here.

It's probably not so much a question of loving or hating working with Peebles as it is of Peebles being the kind of company every politician and government agency wants to work with nowadays.

From the Peebles homepage:

Affirmative Development™ (n.): To be transformational; To create environments of economic opportunity for minorities and women in business by using both the company and its projects as vehicles for change.

From day one, our diverse team of executives, partners and contractors has reflected these core beliefs.

A one-hundred percent minority-owned development company, The Peebles Corporation is known for its commitment to increasing economic prosperity for minority and women-owned businesses. Across the board, we have achieved this by consistently outperforming municipality-mandated diversity goals and by breaking down barriers to entry for local businesses in the communities we develop.

We make inclusivity a priority throughout all phases of a project. We seek to involve businesses that have historically been excluded from real estate development prosperity by assembling teams that are not only qualified to execute but are reflective of the diversity of the cities in which we develop and make them partners in our success.

With a corporate profile like that the BPDA probably wishes it could award Peebles all future Boston construction contracts, no matter how pleasant or unpleasant it is to work with them or how long they take to deliver.

How about decking/park over the highway rather than the trellis?
According to the BBJ article, the proposal includes decking over the ramp and extending the Greenway:

The winning bid proposes a cap over the I-93 ramp that would extend the Rose Kennedy Greenway. The site features a sliver of city-owned land that includes underground pump infrastructure, but the developers have agreed to decommission the property's pump house and create a new system for the city

1647466696002.png

I would have hoped that MassDOT would at least have looked at the years that Peebles has been sitting on the Viola site before awarding them the building rights here. I admit my faith in Peebles getting this parcel and Viola done is practically zero.

It's probably not so much a question of loving or hating working with Peebles as it is of Peebles being the kind of company every politician and government agency wants to work with nowadays........

With a corporate profile like that the BPDA probably wishes it could award Peebles all future Boston construction contracts, no matter how pleasant or unpleasant it is to work with them or how long they take to deliver.

(underlined in the quote - mine)

....or maybe, just maybe, they do a good job? Unless you can point to poor performance, is there a need to sound that dog whistle?

Last edited:
I would have hoped that MassDOT would at least have looked at the years that Peebles has been sitting on the Viola site before awarding them the building rights here. I admit my faith in Peebles getting this parcel and Viola done is practically zero.

The Viola is mentioned in the Globe article:
Peebles, which also has a corporate office in Miami, is already familiar to MassDOT because it has the rights to build a different project over the Massachusetts Turnpike at the corner of Massachusetts Ave. and Boylston Street in the Back Bay; those plans had been stalled and are being refined to address community concerns about height there.

Last edited:

Back