Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I don't think the merger of May and Federated could have been forecast even three years in advance. A federal administration that cared about anti-trust would have blocked the merger, leaving us with two healthy and competing department stores.

Some trivia: The CVS/Gold's Gym building on Summer/Arch St. used to be a Bond's Shoe Store. It's facade (ugly as we now consider it) was quite the thing when it was erected. A sadder commentary is the 7-11 across Arch St. Originally, a beautiful 19th C building anchored the corner. Then the Union Warren Bank (now defunct) bought the building, tore it down, and built that pathetic 1.5 story yellow brick thing in its place. The Charlestown Savings bank across Summer St. at the same location, now the hulking black CVS, was a wonderful neo-gothic building needing some restoration. Again, destruction and useless plazas were the them of the 70's.

That dinky little 7-11 building always bugs me whenever I walk by. You can tell something of stature once stood there, but now we have that ugly brown brick thing that's too short for its site. And to top it all off, an architectural firm occupies the upper floor :rolleyes:

Anybody with eyes could see this coming ten, twenty, thirty years ago.

Are you suggesting that Boston's politicians, business community, academics, and other civic leaders all maintained an "it can't happen here" mentality about our downtown? Did everyone just assume that Boston's historic character and place as a academic and research hub would render it immune from calamity that has happened in the downtowns of larger and lesser cities since the end of WWII? If you're saying that, then right on...

And you know what? They still don't have a plan.

What's yours?

I believe these are some of the original buildings in question. The one with the Waldorf's sign on the left is where I believe the 7-11 is now, the one across the street (with the Leopard Morse sign) is the gym, I think. Arch Street is right in the middle of the picture running between the two buildings. Has that mailbox been at that corner for that long? :)

Summer%20&%20Arch%20Comp.jpg

Link to picture info

EDIT: I took a photo of the same area this afternoon to create this comparison, but having had the wrong lens with me, I couldn't line it up quite right. The building at far left should serve as a point of reference. 1950's on the left, 2007 on the right.

Last edited:
Yes, yes, JoeGallows! I remember venturing into town at the age of 14 with a friend. We ate at the Waldorf's cafeteria...I had Swedish meatballs...and heartburn the entire bus ride back to the 'burbs. Thanks for the picture! I wonder if all that wonderful architectural detail of the Morse building is underneath the facade of the present gym building across Arch St.?

kmp1284, Given ablarc's postings here I don't think he'd ever be caught dead working for a firm as contextually and ethically challenged as the one in question.

Something I wrote in the Newbury Street thread:

Newbury Street thrives while Washington Street dies because one is more versatile than the other: there's no use for an exclusive, 9-5 downtown retail district when the majority of people in the metro (and even the inner city) can head for malls to get their big-box fit. If Downtown Crossing's makeover results in a more diverse-use, 24 hour culture for that whole area, it will be the best thing that ever happened to it.

The Herald said:
Plan seeks private $$ to refresh Downtown Crossing
By Donna Goodison Wednesday, November 28, 2007
9f9c0c6e3f_bromfieldst_11282007.jpg

Photo by BRA

City officials have revived controversial plans for a business improvement district - or BID - at Downtown Crossing, with the hope of raising $2 million to $4 million annually from private property owners to pay for a ?clean and safe? program, events and marketing for the down-on-its-luck shopping area.

The proposals for the BID and new organizations to oversee the area were revealed yesterday as consultants hired by the city unveiled recommendations, previewed in February, to rebrand and rejuvenate Downtown Crossing as ?Boston?s meeting place? and attract new businesses.

Talks of a BID come 11 years after the city and some Downtown Crossing business leaders first attempted to get legislative approval for a special zone where property owners would be levied a surcharge based on the size of their holdings there. That BID proposal languished and died on Beacon Hill due to opposition from labor groups, most notably the Boston Police Patrolmen?s Association, which in part feared that private security guards would encroach on their turf and paid details.

More recently, Menino had trouble convincing Downtown Crossing property owners to pony up $500,000 in matching funds for street furniture and more frequent cleanups. But city officials are hopeful the new BID proposal will meet with approval from all parties this time around. ?The big difference is this time we have a comprehensive plan,? said Randi Lathrop, the Boston Redevelopment Authority?s deputy director of community planning.

Lathrop said the BRA already has reached out to the patrolmen?s association. But BPPA president Thomas Nee said he only received a brief, last-minute courtesy call Monday night about the plans. Nee said the association is willing to be involved in new BID discussions, but deemed previous legislation ?unacceptable.?

?There were no competitive bidding laws, nothing. It was outside all the current statutes,? said Nee, who said he remains concerned about any ?privatization of law enforcement services.?

?We don?t need security guards walking up and down public ways doing our job,? he said.

The city?s plans call for a new Downtown Crossing Partnership that would serve as an umbrella organization to set policy for the district. It would use BID funds to hire ?ambassadors? who would wear uniform jackets and serve as the city?s ?eyes and ears? there, assisting people in need and working closely with Boston Police, Lathrop said.

Millennium Partners Boston principal Tony Pangaro supports plans for a BID.

?Millennium has projects in BIDs in San Francisco and New York, and we?re very supportive of this one,? said Pangaro, whose company built the Ritz-Carlton Boston Common and Residences and will develop Hayward Place. ?It?s a way of targeting resources. You can focus and coordinate efforts in a much more concerted way with a BID.?

But other, smaller property owners privately voiced frustration with what they see as attempts to shift what should be city responsibilities onto private businesses and a new layer of ?bureaucracy? for the district. Other new organizations or groups would be formed to handle events and marketing and pedestrian-zone issues.

The recommendations also call for increased oversight and enforcement for pushcart retailers through a stepped up role by the Downtown Crossing Association, which was characterized as chronically underfunded. Rosemary Sansone, the association?s new president, said she assumed the role to bring the group to a ?new level? and work more closely with pushcart owners.
Link

I don't see the problem with the security issue. The small businesses are balking at the expense of running the BID, the BPPA is balking at 'privatizing public safety'.
The obvious solution is to build the BID but exclude the rent-a-cops. Leave the city the expense of patrolling DTX.
The businesses do what they do best: marketing, branding & maintenance and the city does what it does best.
Everybody wins.

The Globe ran a similar article this morning, but what the Herald called "controversial" the Globe called "innovative." BIDs are one of Shirley Kressel's favorite targets, so I'm betting we're all in store for some awesome inane rants! Her website (Boston Neigborhood Collalition, or whatever) has a pretty good one going already.

^^ Thanks for the heads up
The Globe said:
New tax may aid retail district

By Jenn Abelson, Globe Staff | November 28, 2007

Creating a business improvement district in Downtown Crossing is key to raising up to $4 million annually for the struggling retail area and helping it spring to life, consultants hired by the city said yesterday.

The proposed initiative would allow merchants in the 20-block area around Downtown Crossing to tax themselves and use the millions in revenue to beef up safety, sanitation, and marketing efforts. It would be the first business improvement district in Boston, which remains one of the only major US cities without one.

"We must be creative and willing to do things outside the box," Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino said yesterday. "We will have some challenges over the next 18 months, but we'll come through this, and the future is very bright."

Downtown Crossing is at a crossroads, having lost two of its biggest attractions - Filene's Department store and Filene's Basement - within the past year. Millions of dollars in new investment are pouring into the pedestrian retail district, but it is still plagued by vacancies and competition from the suburbs.

Moreover, the redevelopment of the Filene's complex, for which demolition starts in January, will turn the heart of Downtown Crossing into a construction zone for the next two years. Filene's Basement plans to return after the construction is done.

City officials and retailers pushed a plan for a business improvement district nearly 10 years ago, but it failed twice. It faced opposition from the Boston Police Patrolmen's Association, a labor union, because of plans to hire private security guards. And the Legislature voiced concerns that the plan did not give an equal voice to all property owners and lacked sufficient oversight by local government.

A spokeswoman for the Boston Redevelopment Authority said the city plans to work with all stakeholders to make the legislation successful this time. The proposal will not call for privatized security, she said.

Thomas J. Nee, the patrolmen's association president, said he was invited to participate in discussions about the proposal. "The city indicated they have no desire to chase the failures of the previously proposed legislation," Nee said.

Other recommendations issued yesterday included restricting traffic on parts of Bromfield Street, eliminating curbs in the pedestrian-only sections of Downtown Crossing, and restricting cars in these areas between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. The consultants, who have been working for the past year on branding and marketing initiatives for the retail district, also suggested reducing the number of pushcarts and having the vendors sell more diverse merchandise.

The BRA plans to unveil a marketing effort next year to brand Downtown Crossing as the meeting place for all Bostonians. A website to promote the area is expected to be launched in April.

Jenn Abelson can be reached at abelson@globe.com.
Link

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the unions in Boston have too much power.

There's a rendering of Hayward Place in the PDF - one that I don't recall seeing before...

Regarding the BRA PDF: Hmmm, trees on Bromfield St.?? It's one of the darkest streets in downtown. I would hate to see yet more trees wasted on certain streets of downtown; they will not thrive without light. And what's with the fabric canopy on Winter St.?....another very dim street needing all the light it can get from above. I hope these unrealistic renderings are not the final product.

Hmmm, trees on Bromfield St.?? It's one of the darkest streets in downtown. I would hate to see yet more trees wasted on certain streets of downtown; they will not thrive without light.
Some trees do quite well in shady areas, IE certain types of oak, some beeches as well some birches (admittedly, not really what most people think of as urban plantings, but I've seen birches and beech trees planted in urban areas in Northern Europe that seemed to thrive). I worked at a small urban park a few years back and was surprised at how well lindens and cork trees did in the shade (though portions of this park did have short periods of sunlight in the morning most times of the year, however that may have changed because some buildings have since been built on two sides).

Regarding the BRA PDF: Hmmm, trees on Bromfield St.?? It's one of the darkest streets in downtown. I would hate to see yet more trees wasted on certain streets of downtown; they will not thrive without light. And what's with the fabric canopy on Winter St.?....another very dim street needing all the light it can get from above. I hope these unrealistic renderings are not the final product.

My thoughts excatly. Aside from the inadequate light along Bromfield, why would anyone contemplate putting trees in there -- aren't the DTC/Ladder District sidewalks narrow enough already without adding more obstacles? Two people can barely walk abreast on some sidewalks.

As for the tarp covering DTC, that's just ridiculous. The last thing that area needs is more shade. If anything, they should add reflective mirrors on some of the higher buildings to shine some light into those tight streetscapes. *LOL

Back