Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I'm going to agree with lexicon here. If this area was open to traffic, the road will be congested thanks to the high pedestrian rate and the high traffic rate that will enter this area. Since the road is extremely narrow, it worsens the condition to the point that the cars will slowly move through DTX and thus create a havoc for pedestrians trying to cross the street and drivers trying to dodge the shoppers. I do not understand how cars will necessarily liven up the area either. What are the cars going to do? Drop people off to shop there? They can drop people off at the common of further down Washington Street. The 93 and 92 can drop passengers off near TJ Max. There is no need for cars here.

Having been to a few European cities recently and having lived in London for three months I feel that it is a bad idea to open this street up to cars. There are A LOT of areas in London closed off to traffic that definitely get some of their charm and vibrancy because they are closed off to traffic. examples: Chinatown, Covent Garden (part of it reminds me a lot of Fanuel Hall) and Leicester Square. In Brussels they had a street that was closed off to traffic and was full of shops and retailers and that street saw loads of foot traffic.
I also have another idea for the kind of retailer that would be really good for that area, since I believe it is rumored that Zara is going to go in and considering the kind of retail I find that goes a long with Zara and H&M in Europe I would say someplace like an Urban Outfitters would fit well (I think beyond Boston most people see Urban Outfitters as a fashion store as opposed to a place to furnish an apartment as well). Also a more exciting idea is that Top Shop an amazing clothing store in London that Kate Moss is involved with is preparing to open three stores in Manhattan and wants to open a flagship store in Boston. DTX would be the perfect locale for it and would really liven up the area as a major shopping attraction. The clothes are bold and very high end looks but they also have lots of discount racks and all students get a 10% discount.
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=12556&catalogId=19551
here's a link to Top Shop to get a sense of the kinds of stuff they sell there.

I see no benefit whatsoever from having car traffic in Downtown Crossing. Even the police cars should not be there; the area should be patrolled entirely on foot or bicycle. The only proper time for motor vehicles in DTX is from 9 pm to 7 am, for deliveries.

Indeed, part of the problem is that too many vehcles get in now. One is always looking over one's shoulder for fear of being run down. Better to enforce the current pedestrian only rules, and, in warmer weather, fill the street with outdoor dining.

I was killing time at work today and was googling "downtown crossing" and found the wikipedia entry for downtown crossing which purports high end retailers are on the way. In pertinant part is states:

"Gucci has showed interest in opening up a 45,000 sq. ft. flagship in Downtown Crossing in the early part of 2008. The store is rumored to be three to four stories and merchandice should include men and womens ready to wear, couture, shoes, leather goods, assessories, furniture, and their full line of make up. (Milan News Ledger, October 10th, 2007)

Fendi has recenty signed a private lease deal to open up a 7,450 sq. ft. flagship in Downtown Crossing, this will be the U.S.'s second largest Fendi location after New York. Fendi has said that they plan on adding exclusive furs and ready to wear fashions to the store that are available only in exclusive boutiques as well as normal ready to wear for men and women, handbags, shoes, assessories, and fragrances. Newbury Street was their first target location, but no available space was adaquet. (WWD, September 3rd, 2006).

Stores such as H&M have also set up world flagship stores here. A small mall called Lafayette Place Mall was attached to the Jordan Marsh store in 1985; by 1992 the mall was closed. It has since been converted to offices.

Also located at Downtown Crossing is the Suffolk University Law School. The Downtown Crossing subway station directly serves Downtown Crossing. The State Street and Park Street stations are within walking distance. Silver Line service is also available."

Anyone heard any rumors to support this?

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Crossing

^ i hope that that news is bullshit because gucci and fendi have absolutely no place in downtown crossing. How much upscale retail can one city use? DTX really just needs to stay a lower-scale shopping center.

They would not be out of place in the Ritz Towers' currently-vacant storefronts.

Is our H&M really the chain's "world flagship" store?

They would not be out of place in the Ritz Towers' currently-vacant storefronts.

Is our H&M really the chain's "world flagship" store?

I think that's written poorly. It is A flagship store, not THE flagship store. It's on par with other flagship H&Ms such as the one in Madrid (which is on a beautiful pedestrian only street and sees high volumes of customer traffic, but that's another point). I guess better phrasing would have been calling it a Category A branch, while you mostly see Category B and C branches in suburban malls.

i think downtown crossing is a good place for a "destination" type supermarket. something along the lines of dean and deluca in nyc or gelson's in socal

High end tenants, great idea.

I believe that a market of any sort is no longer part of the Filene's building's plans.

Maybe next door?

The Gucci story looks to be bogus. There is no Milan News Ledger newspaper. All the newspapers in Milan have nice Italian names, like Corriere della Sera. A search of Corriere through October past has no mention of a Gucci store; though there are stories about the Red Sox and a technologically futuristic bathroom designed by MIT.

Last edited:
Best definition of Wikipedia:
What you've proposed is a kind of quantum encyclopedia, where genuine data both exists and doesn't exist depending on the precise moment I rely upon your discordant fucking mob for my information.

I hope that this news on Gucci and Fendi is just a factoid. I don't think that the city needs more luxury retail - Copley Place and Newbury Street seem to handle that well. And, luxury retail at DTX is not what the mayor had planned for this area. I remember Menino touting the area as a place where ordinary people could take the red or orange lines into the city to shop.

It's not about what the MayorforLife wants, it's about what the market can sustain, and if Gucci and Fendi think DTX could work for them, that would be wonderful. I would love to see that area become a true destination rather than the rat trap it is now.

"Rat trap" is a little unfair. Not everything can be Newbury St.

I'm not saying it can be Newbury, but cleaning it up with some worthwhile retail is a very noble cause.

If you look at Winter Street, which does not have curbs, people walk all over the street. Washington St has curbs and most people walk on the sidewalks.

I think it would be a disaster to open the streets to traffic during the day. At night however I think traffic would have the opposite effect, it would create a more vibrant area. Traffic would also add a lot of security and convenience. People could be dropped of by cab right at restaurants, stores or clubs. It does not have to be all the streets, could be Washington only or just he cross streets.

^Hear, hear, on the worthwhile retail, but Gucci and Fendi? Only a very small slice of the population can afford to shop at those places. They certainly wouldn't draw in a large number of people to actually shop. Now, a store selling knock-off Gucci and Fendi--that would bring the crowds.

Lets edit the wikipedia and correct it then. I am going to start by adding the new tower and the suffolk purchase. Everyone feel free to help.

Back