Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I'm still undecided about the pedestrian only plan, but you argue that car traffic has the added benefit of forcing people on to the sidewalks and adding to sense of 'hustle & bustle' a la Times Square.
Spreading people out across wide streets like Washington could lead to a duller, slower, less vibrant feeling, especially during off-peak times.

While you're editing the Wikipedia, Suffolk Law School is not in Downtown Crossing by any reasonable definition of that district.

I'm still undecided about the pedestrian only plan, but you argue that car traffic has the added benefit of forcing people on to the sidewalks and adding to sense of 'hustle & bustle' a la Times Square.
Spreading people out across wide streets like Washington could lead to a duller, slower, less vibrant feeling, especially during off-peak times.

Crowds are a big problem in Times Sq. Many of the office buildings are trying to figure how to get thier employees and guest in and out of their building because the crowds are so thick. I believe some are already looking to relocate to the rail yards on the west side when that is built up.

I always walk around Times Square because it's faster and easier than going through. Don't forget a good deal of the people are looking up at signs or taking pictures.

I don't know what the status is, but a few years ago I read that there was talk of converting a street to a pedestrian and trolley only. I think 34th st.

But when Matthew Jones of Brooklyn lingered on the corner of 42nd Street and Seventh Avenue in the early morning of June 12, 2004, gabbing with friends as other pedestrians tried to get by, something unusual happened: He was arrested for it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/nyregion/18movealong.html?_r=2&oref=slogin

I recall vividly shopping at Jordan's as a child in the 60's. Traffic was an utter nightmare then, especially in the winter, with snow piled up everywhere. If vehicular traffic is once again permitted I hope the sidewalks will be increased in width and the road reduced to one travel lane and intermittent parking. On most days, the hustle and bustle of the sidewalks north of Summer/Winter Sts. is already a chore to negotiate. South of this intersection, it's a ghost-town, and I wonder what's being planned to foster businesses and restaurants that will attract lingering crowds.

People here are always talking about DTC being dead. Yes there are a lot of vacant storefronts right now, but as far as foot traffic goes, even w/out the business the area is packed w/people. As it is I don't like the current number of cops and utility workers that feel the need to drive up Washington St., and it would be impossible to allow cars on Summer. Once the area developments are complete and business begins to pick up, it will be impossible to allow cars anywhere near downtown crossing.

Ok, i changed the wikipedia, but i need more info. I removed all the perceived misinformation, but i know i missed alot of info too. What else should i add?

Best definition of Wikipedia:
Quote:
What you've proposed is a kind of quantum encyclopedia, where genuine data both exists and doesn't exist depending on the precise moment ....

That's a slur and a gross misunderstanding of the Quantum World.

While Herr Doctor Professor Heisenberg?s eponymous Principle specifies a bounded uncertainty -- it is the product of two complementary parameters that allow the interesting stuff that permits other interesting stuff such as the Transistor {60 years old this week} and Life itself.

Westy

A very practical solution is ban traffic of any kind {except absolute emergency vehicles} until all of the public venues have closed for the evening

Then DTX would be pedestrian friendly M-F 8:00 AM to 2:00 AM and car and mostly delivery vehicle friendly from 2:00 AM until 8:00 AM

I'd expand the pedestrian zone until it was bounded by two major thoroughfares Tremont to the West and Congress St. to the East with some minor exceptions to permit the 9-5 crowd with access to the underground parking garages.

Krakow does this around its Medieval era Rynek Glowny {Main Market Square} with 3 levels of auto exclusion:
1) a zone for people, dog, horses and emergency vehicles
2) a zone for passing through of vehicles -- but no parking except with special very limited permits -- so there are no cars circling looking for parking ? but some cars passing through to drop off people and access the peripheral area
3) a zone of limited parking and unlimited vehicle access just on the edge of the "Modern City" where everything is permitted

I think it would work for Boston at DTX and also around the Faneuil Hall Quincy Market district

Westy

While Herr Doctor Professor Heisenberg?s eponymous Principle specifies a bounded uncertainty -- it is the product of two complementary parameters that allow the interesting stuff that permits other interesting stuff such as the Transistor {60 years old this week} and Life itself.

Westy

It sure describes my life: if I have the energy, I don't have the time; once I get the position, I lose momentum...

Justin

Well said "if I have the energy, I don't have the time; once I get the position, I lose momentum..."

And once I get the momentum -- I never quite now where I'm going to end-up {although that's also a true in 19th century classical mechanics of a statistical nature}.

Anyway -- I was down in DTX recently and while less active than in the past and even recently -- there was still the feeling of "Christmas Bustle" around Macy's and Borders

As today is "Boxing Day" and traditionally in the US the day to return the ties and socks that one didn't want -- perhaps it is bustling today as well.

Westy

I hate to drag up an older thread, but I couldn't find the thread with the discussion about the former, one-story CVS building on Washinton St. across from the Jewler's Building. The search showed zero results when searching 'CVS.'

Anyway, I had a you've-got-to-be-kidding-me moment walking by it to class. It looks like we'll getting another Verizon Wireless store. Hoo-ray! :rolleyes:

...great. Now I have to walk all the way to Pi Alley to find a CVS. What's this world coming to?

^^ No, you're cool. They just reopened a brand-new one across the street in the Jewelers Building. :rolleyes:

And a Verizon store. Oh goodie, that'll bring DTX springing back to life, what with all the suburbanites flooding the city to get their hands on a new Razr.

Last edited:
You can take a 10-minute walk through downtown and walk by seven CVS stores (and no competing pharmacies). Center Plaza, two on upper Washington street, Milk Street, Summer Street just beyond Macy's, Tremont Street opposite the Common, and finally Washington at Boylston in Chinatown.

Anybody know why they didn't put the Loews Theater on the Washington St. side of the building instead of on Tremont? Seems to me it would've made for a cool stretch along with the renovated Paramount and Opera House.

^ It's a shame they didn't (put the Loews on Wash), because all the tourists that wander on down that way always look so lost. Hopefully whatever will go in the base of the development across the street (arg.. its name is on the tip of my tongue) will have something worthwhile in it.

^^ No, you're cool. They just reopened a brand-new one across the street in the Jewelers Building. :rolleyes:

Oh, phew! I was starting to break out into a sweat for a moment there..

Yes but the real tragedy is that there are ZERO Dunkin Donuts on that block!
You either have to walk alllll the way down Milk St, near P.O. Square or walk allll the way to Pi Alley to get your Dunk's fix.

The Loews cineplex has a lot more visibility where it is, being across from Boston Common. It was built on the site of the former Astor (Tremont) Theatre, by the way.

Porta Classica Menswear is getting ready to clear out. It's in a two story building sandwiched between two much larger buildings, south of (towards Chinatown) the Washington/Summer intersection at 467 Washington St.

Porta Classica Menswear is getting ready to clear out. It's in a two story building sandwiched between two much larger buildings, south of (towards Chinatown) the Washington/Summer intersection at 467 Washington St.

Ya, and the reason they are leaving is that their lease is not being renewed.... interesting I would say.

Back