Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

The intersection of Winter/Summer/Washington once was the longstanding most valuable retail and office space in the country. Having three major (and elegant) department stores connected directly to two major subways (which at the time were lovely ornate tile and not vynil clab urinals), with downtown and other subway connections nearby made it the "hub" of the hub. The occupancy rate was always 100% due to the perceived value and demand for the space. As result 100% corner was the real estate nickname for the intersection.

When one thinks of what is left of Gilchrists shell, Filenes no more, and Jordan Marsh's grand old store demolished, it gives you an idea of how run down the area has become.

I did not know that Gilchrist once connected to the subway. Is any remnant of that connection still visible?

Regarding boarded-up storefronts, they could always start doing what they did in Lynn, several years ago - paint the boards to look like the interiors of the shops, complete with people.

I'm not sure if Gilchrist's was directly connected to Washington Station. The store closed within months of me arriving in Boston and I had only really poked around inside 2-3 times when it was open to get free macaroons. In the station, the tunnel to Park Street runs directly under Winter Street with the fare area, underpass stairs, and platform running snugly against Gilchrist's basement. Since everything except the closet door, to the right of the stairs where the tile is painted, has been covered in 'modernized' garbage it's hard to tell if there was ever a direct opening similar Jordan Marsh & Filene's.

I really think a rehabbed Gilchrist's building with a major retailer on the lower floors, with rentals or condos above could be a major shot in the arm for the area. Tearing down Lafayette place to reconnect West Street to Bedford, with a new Macy's under a One Franklin style tower, and development down to the Essex Washington Building....essentially rebuilding the crummy street wall vertically and re-knitting the streets. The whole mess has needed a sane and comprehensive master plan for decades and considering the lack of a brain-trust at the BRA and investment into improvements, I'm holding my breath. One Franklin and 45 Province Street are going to help significantly, but there are so many little issues that need to be addressed that probably won't because of our balkanized bureaucratic patronage system.

The pedestrian tunnel between Park Street and Downtown Crossing stations was built at the same time as the Red Line, but was not opened for public use until some time in the late 1970s -- Wikipedia says 1978. By that time, I think Gilchrist's had already closed.

Re: Filene's

That's bull. Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've been harassed on several occasions. I've seen this same stupid response on this topic over and over again. I have friends who have also been harassed by groups of kids in down town crossing.

I've also been harasses by a group of white kids in the common, or perhaps i must be dreaming because that never happened to you either

That hasn't happened to me either. Guess punks fear the Toby.

It doesn't matter what you wear, B.O., unless you're always wearing a bad attitude.

L10707352-1.jpg

Last edited:
RE: Tunnels and Connections

The T is a massive hodgepodge of old and formerly used connections and tunnels (pedestrian and vehicular) including several bricked-up under passes on the Green Line that have been rediscovered in the process of the current platform raising at Arlington and Copley. Of course there is the un-used former Green Line grade-separated connection at Boylston that once was the launching point for another branch line.

On the pedestrian front -- Several major buildings (mostly department stores such as Kennedys) used to connect directly to the Green and Red Line in the DTX area as well as a couple of connections to the Orange Line -- most are now closed

However, the one tunnel that never existed (as far as I know) -- and which should be done now -- is to connect the Orange Line platforms of State and DTX (thereby integrating Park Street with State via DTX) -- the Filenes (Franklin St) tower construction makes this particularly easy access-wise -- but I've never heard of any plan to do it

Westy

I'd love to see that connection made. The problem is that the southbound State (Milk) platform is left-side, while the southbound Downtown Crossing platform, a few hundred feet away, is right-side.

Ron,

It does pose some 3D tunnel design and construction challenges -- however that's why we now have 3D design software and modern tunnel jacking a such tools.

I would expect that to make it work that you might need to come up from below on escalators and elevators connecting the two platforms to a common mall-like hall located below and to one side

However the benefits are extraordinary -- you suddenly have a walkable weather-proof link between State Street (Orange and Blue) with DTX and Park Street -- the long wished for goal of linking the Red and Blue Lines!

Westy

Boston does need a more extensive tunnel system. It would encourage more people to shop downtown if they could move about underground in the winter. Or else, theyd just go to a warm mall.

Boston does need a more extensive tunnel system. It would encourage more people to shop downtown if they could move about underground in the winter. Or else, theyd just go to a warm mall.

I agree, it wouldn't be easy, but if more buildings were attached to a tunnel system that tied into the T, people would be better able to move around the system the 50% of the year that it is raining/snowing/15 degrees outside.

Boston Herald - July 9, 2008
Hub hopes logo, Web site boost business area
By Donna Goodison | Wednesday, July 9, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Media & Marketing
4f718e9274_crossinglogo_07092008.jpg

Downtown Crossing has a new logo, and the city has launched a searchable Web site of commercial properties for sale or lease throughout the Hub.

Both were unveiled yesterday by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, who hosted the first leg of an ?Experience Boston? tour of the city?s retail opportunities prior to the International Council of Shopping Centers? Boston Idea Exchange.

With 60 projects worth $4 billion under construction in Boston, the city?s economy is growing despite national economic uncertainty, Menino told the assembled retailers, brokers and developers.

With microphone in hand, the mayor led the tour from the future site of Hayward Place on Washington Street to Bromfield and Province streets. Along the way, he singled out improvements such as new greenery-filled planters and open retail spaces, including the recently vacated Porta Classica and Casual Male locations.

Companies on the tour included 1-800-Flowers, Aveda, Chipotle, Wagamama, Planet Fitness, Yum! Brands, Boloco, Chunky?s Cinema Pub and Foodie?s Urban Market. Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance hopes to open a Boston location in the next six to 24 months.

?You?ve got an established retail corridor, which is hopefully on the incline,? said Dave Rayner, Ulta?s vice president of real estate. ?It?s growing, plus you have huge pedestrian traffic there.?

The new Downtown Crossing logo is now plastered on the street between Macy?s and the former Filene?s building and wrapped around the police kiosk that city officials hope to turn into an information booth. Businesses are being encouraged to use the logo in their marketing as the city and Downtown Crossing Partnership push forward with an economic improvement initiative.

The city?s new Web tool is www.bostonprospector.com. In addition to locating 300-plus available Boston commercial properties, users can analyze demographic and business data and link to city agencies for zoning and tax information.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/media/view.bg?articleid=1105860

It's gimmicky, but I like it. It has got a certain European vibe to it.

Did the city actually pay someone to come up with logo? Good lord. I give it a month.

Lol I got a good laugh over that logo. Doesn't the word Down give a negative connotation? The logo and the colors remind me of the corner mall, and that aint a good thing. Somebody got a C in marketing 101. If your gonna shorten it up to try and jazz it up, lose the crossing, keep the cross (aka crossing), put the words down and town in a cross except center the midpoint higher and to the right more so the O's are the same and it doesn't make it seem like your going to church. And get some modern feeling colors, jesus christo. Would look good on those lightpole "flags" cities like so much days.

^^ Looks like they a shooting for that retro 70's design look the kids are all into nowadays.

Maybe it's just my monitor, but those colors have some sort of Filmore Auditorium Concert Poster circa 1968 vibe going on. It looks like they just plastered "Downtown Crossing" over "Big Brother and the Holding Company @ 9".

Wow, harsh. Seems like they're moving away from the fancy dept store feel and aiming at a younger mindset. If they really want to revitalize the area, it seems like they'll need some non-chains. They can't really compete with the malls, so why not go a different direction?

On another note, has there been any talk about getting cars completely out of the Downtown Crossing Area? It seems like pedestrians have already taken over the streets anyway, but making the streets into walkways would allow for even more street vendors.

I missed this:

Companies on the tour included 1-800-Flowers, Aveda, Chipotle, Wagamama, Planet Fitness, Yum! Brands, Boloco, Chunky?s Cinema Pub and Foodie?s Urban Market. Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance hopes to open a Boston location in the next six to 24 months.

A Chunky's would be nice, but 1800Flowers? Chipotle? Yum!Brands? Ugh. :p

I think we need to start another ArchBoston meme:

Better than another jewelry store.

Back