Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

While I'd love to see new theatres, I'd first like to see the ones we have fully utilized. Currently the Wilbur is vacant and unleased, while the Wang-Shubert combination is losing bookings and having serious financial problems. And then there's the RKO-Boston...

I dont know much about the theater scene. I know Bostons is pretty good, but could it support that many new theaters?

That's the exactly the same concern I have about DTX. Besides the fact that getting enough audiences for each show may get tough with so many competitions, there is another problem and that's the amount of performances available to use the theaters. I'm glad the Opera House was re-opened but most of the time, I see it sitting idle without any shows and creating more theaters in Boston would not exactly help the problem.

Included in the developer's plans for Seafood, I mean Seaport, Square is an 1800-person live theater.

How they would fill this, I don't know.

Honestly, much as I love the project, I can only see this as an effort by him to somehow impress critics.

I'm guessing they are working under the theory of "If you build them, they will come" but I don't see that happening in a place like Boston.

I argee that downtown crossing to be better it needs to connect to the Theather district. I think the project Hayward Place sucks. This for me would be a great place for a Tall Tower with more retails space at the bottom. I also think lower washington Street and the Theather District is not bright enough.

Say "cheese" in Downtown Crossing Boston Business Journal - by Naomi R. Kooker Boston Business Journal
Print Article Email Article Reprints RSS Feeds Add to Del.icio.us Digg This

The Downtown Crossing photo campaign continued Wednesday as passers-by stood in line to get their photos taken as part of a public art project, ?Have we met yet??

The installation will include hundreds of ?street portraits? of visitors to Downtown Crossing and wrap around the construction site of One Franklin, the historical landmark of Filene?s department store. The installation is part of the Downtown Crossing rebranding effort by the Boston Redevelopment Authority to create a shopping and meeting destination as more development takes place there.

Quincy resident Kelly Brennan, a 31-year-old guidance counselor, waited in line after shopping at DSW.

?I?d love for it to be, ?Oh yeah, let?s go to Downtown Crossing for night life and better restaurants,? she said.

Beverly, Mass. photographer Matt Kalinowski has been hired by the BRA for $6,000 to take the photos, which will be used for the installation as well as other marketing materials. The BRA has spent upwards of $700,000 in the effort and hired Philadelphia-based 160 Over 90 agency to implement the rebranding in three phases.

The wrap portion of the project will be funded by Vornado and Gale International, the developers of One Franklin. The cost is about $30,000, according to the BRA.

?Have we met yet?? is intended to raise awareness of the 230,000 people who live, work, an commute through the Downtown Crossing area daily.

There is a lame ass tent out there with sign up sheets. $700,000? It's a great country.
Set up some outdoor cafes with beer, wine, espresso and Japanese lanterns out in those "closed" streets. Hire a bunch of Berklee guys (or whomever) to play some tunes.
You will give some of those 230,000 people a reason to linger and spend.

L1090305.jpg

L1090307.jpg

Looks like the tunes are here.

"Up next we'll be playing a little Aerosmith, here's 'Sweet Emotion', enjoy!"

Give it time...before we know it there will be at least 20-30 people watching these band performances.

Hi! and welcome to downtown Toledo!

I resemble that remark! As a native Toledoan I can say: your comment would have been accurate in 1983. Now you would either need to erase the people, or photoshop a baseball game behind them.

^^ Sorry I was just trying to come up with some generic 'suburban', midwestern city and Toledo popped into my head. There are probably better choices.

Give it time...before we know it there will be at least 20-30 people watching these band performances.

Hmmm. Better put in a grassy knoll and some Lumber Liquidators boardwalk to accommodate the crowd. DTX doesn't have any outdoor performance areas.

^^ Sorry I was just trying to come up with some generic 'suburban', midwestern city and Toledo popped into my head. There are probably better choices.

no i don't think so. Toledo is quite standard and does the trick. It's just that even an octogenarian jazz band and a crowd of 3 would be more than one could reasonably expect to see in downtown toledo without a baseball game being played.

^^ There are probably better choices.

Peoria, statler. Been there for a friend's wedding. I asked one of the bridesmaids: "What's there to do around here at night, aside from crystal meth and suicide?"

The pic reminds me of the classic Simpsons episode featuring Spinal Tap: "We thought they knew how to rock in Shelbyville. That was before we came to....(awkward pause)...Springfield!"

Clarinet-player to oboist, "I'm going into Jordan Marsh after this and buy a couple of those delicious blueberry muffins!"

Just reading Jimbo's post on the South End BCA Plaza thread that the redo is a redon't. Looks like there might be some plans available!

Back