Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Woooo we're partying now!

img6193qq3.jpg

To misappropriate ablarc's sarcastic mantra, it's better than a boarded up store-front.

It most certainly looks better than the dilapidated CVS that was there before (and the new CVS across the street looks nice too!).

The other old CVS a block away also closed a few weeks ago.

The former Tower Records in Harvard Square is also becoming a Verizon store. Bleaah.

And Verizon was formerly a ground floor tenant at 101 Arch, space now vacant. Gad, I feel the blight creeping up my building like rising damp. Throw me another floral cement lifesaver, quick!

The other old CVS a block away also closed a few weeks ago.

The former Tower Records in Harvard Square is also becoming a Verizon store. Bleaah.

I really don't understand cellphone stores. Who goes to them? I've been a satisfied cell phone user for I guess 8 years now and I've never set foot in one.

^Teens... they go to see what's "Hot" and play with it before their parents buy it for them (probably online).

I really don't understand cellphone stores. Who goes to them? I've been a satisfied cell phone user for I guess 8 years now and I've never set foot in one.

I second that. I have used cell phones for 8-9 years, and I've never used one except for the initial activation at the very beginning.

I've been in 3 times. Twice to get new phones (I'm too impatient to wait for it to be sent in the mail) and once to get a phone repaired. I suppose everything could have been done via that internet thingy that's all the rage with the kids these days.

I would put cell phone stores second after banks in terms of streetlife killers (other than blank walls.)

^Teens... they go to see what's "Hot" and play with it before their parents buy it for them (probably online).

That is a pretty good summary of the client profile I'd see in Verizon when it was at 101 Arch. Many people get them from their companies. My first "cell" phone was half the size of an attache case. I believe the earlier model had a rotary dial!

And Verizon was formerly a ground floor tenant at 101 Arch, space now vacant. Gad, I feel the blight creeping up my building like rising damp. Throw me another floral cement lifesaver, quick!

I really like the plastic tarp look you guys having going on in the lobby. Very chic!

The building Verizon's new store is in should have been demolished decades ago, that belongs in a stripmall on route 1 not downtown Boston. I wonder what Urban renewal destroyed in order to put that there :/.

OMG, I have just seen the future, and I'm sure it includes a phone store on Tremont Street in the South End. There are four or five empty storefronts in our neighborhood now, and I can just imagine ... it makes sense ... oh, lord.

I agree, phone stores are street-killers.

cell phone stores are only street killers if there are too many of them. If there's not one close by, the place will be packed with a steady stream of people throughout the day, no matter the time. I go into cell phone stores to a.) get my cell fixed b.) lie that it "just broke" and didnt fall in a puddle c.) get a new battery d.) get the headphone accessory I don't feel like waiting for through the internet e.) get out new phones when my two years is up to see what I like. I know this is different, but the Verizon store in the SS Plaza is packed 90% of the day.

Downtown Crossing need more sneaker stores... When I'm in the mood to go shoping for a new pair of kicks I just don't have enough options.

Some of the hostility to cell phone stores comes from a feeling that they are far inferior to what they have replaced (for example, a grocery or Tower Records)

^^ And jewelry stores. If only there were more jewelery stores.

Back