Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I really like the plastic tarp look you guys having going on in the lobby. Very chic!

Another pointless overhaul of the lobby that I'll be paying for. The third iteration of it, too: once when I was a 101 Arch tenant 15 or more years ago, once while I was away at 31 St. James, and now this. Gonna look like King Tut's tomb this time.

Tobes I was over at 31 St. James a little while ago and they were redoing some of the floors: covering up the marble walls and the other art deco details with sheetrock and plaster. craziness.

New lobby usually means either: 1) big time vacancies, or 2) the building is for sale.
They re-did that one 5 years ago two when Paula Zahn's husband was tarting the place up to put on the market. They put all their eggs in the First Marblehead basket and pretty much told existing tenants "f.u., First Marblehead, (which already had several floors) will take all the space we can give them". F.M., a student loan servicing company, had some hiccups, and now, well, you read the papers.

Last edited:
Funny thing about cell phone stores... I need a new cell phone and a friend said "go to Coolidge Corner in Brookline, it's like the Cell Phone District, they have every major carrier all within one block of each other in big flagship stores - you can walk into them all and get a chance to touch and try every single cell phone on the market"

As a former resident of Coolidge Corner, I threw up in my mouth a little. "the Cell Phone District."

It's true though - Sprint, Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile and Radio Shack are all crowding the block with mega-stores hawking cell phones - what a bizarre trend in retail storefronts.

I've purchased phones from two different carriers at Coolidge Corner. I agree, it's a bit off-putting, but at least I can grab some coffee at Pete's, or a bite at Rani afterwards.

I mentioned to a person in line next to me at the Verizon store last spring, "Ten years ago, didn't we all have something better to do than this on a Saturday morning?" The place was mobbed at 10:30 am...

As long as Brookline Booksmith, the Theatre, Brookline News and Gifts, and Shawarma King are around...I can (gulp) handle the invasion of the cell phone stores. Oh yeah, and Mr. Sushi. I think I've eaten more meals from there than any other restaurant in the world.

To throw fuel in the fire, doesn't the Apple store qualify as a phone store? And it certainly isn't a street killer.

Toby......any chance of new elevators to go with the King Ramses II exhibit?

Me, until recently, an 101 Archer....the wife, until recently, a F.M. 31 St. Jameser...she was one of the last to leave....literally 1 person to every 25 cubes, and she was on the only occupied floor. I do miss Park Square Cafe though.....best Steak and Cheese in Boston, in an office building cafe no less.

Is the Verizon space still empty at 101? Seems like the perfect spot for Krispy Kreme to roll out their new urban format.

^ I don't know about the BEST steak and cheese, but it is damn good. All the food there is good and its cheaper than the POS Subway next door

Toby......any chance of new elevators to go with the King Ramses II exhibit?

Me, until recently, an 101 Archer....the wife, until recently, a F.M. 31 St. Jameser...she was one of the last to leave....literally 1 person to every 25 cubes, and she was on the only occupied floor. I do miss Park Square Cafe though.....best Steak and Cheese in Boston, in an office building cafe no less.

Is the Verizon space still empty at 101? Seems like the perfect spot for Krispy Kreme to roll out their new urban format.

Good idea. Make the elevators look like mummy cases!

The steak and cheese at the Park Sq. Cafe was a highlight. The guy who owns the "New York Deli" in 101 Arch is nephew of the guy who owns the Park Sq. Cafe.

Verizon is still empty, but no to Krispy Kreme: I'll need to be wheelbarrowed to the elevators every day! "Lawyers Stationary" on the Arch St. side is vacant too. A liquor store would be a good fit.

Sorry to hear your wife got caught up in the F.M. meltdown. They really were on top for awhile. I remember seeing one floor with what looked like a thousand cubicles in it, every one of them occupied. Never saw the other floors. I never saw a company get so big so fast.

Hmmm... sell the balance of the lease at 101 Arch and offer $18 psf at 31 St. James, pocket the difference. I wouldn't like the longer walk to work, but every female employee would probably be happy to depart DTX.

You could probably even negotiate in the world's longest shuffleboard court....

They had a couple things in boxes all marked "Hayward". So I think that is unlikely.

Looks an awful lot like the rain-screen and glazing for the Filene's tower...

I'm not sure what that is, but I'm sure it's something good! :)

Back