Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I just walked back from Borders to read the latest issue of "Octane" and to take a nap. You know what? DTX is just beautiful right now. Warm enough. Sidewalks crowded. Everybody relaxed and happy. Sun at a pretty angle. And all the dumb ass pictures, meeters and greeters, potted plants, planted pot, none of it had one bit to do with it.

It wasn't the "Shopping Precinct of Horror".

Wow and you made it out alive?!? I hope you clutched you purse real tight and walked as quickly as possible, because according to crime statistics and media reports you have an approx 120 percent chance of being robbed, killed, raped or beaten if walk through there.

I remember that like it was yesterday.

Scary how time flies even when Boston's development doesn't

"3 for $2.50"

L1100438.jpg

Last edited:
Does that sign indicate that it's only closing 75% of itself?

Here we go again....

Boston Globe - November 21, 2008
A new (but familiar) plan for downtown

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | November 21, 2008

Mayor Thomas M. Menino and business executives are moving to create a special tax on Downtown Crossing business owners to raise millions of dollars a year to pay for streetscape improvements and other upgrades to the gritty shopping district.

Merchants and commercial property owners in a 20-block area between City Hall and the Theater District would be asked to approve the tax to supplement city services. The money, up to $4 million annually, would go toward a variety of enhancements, including hiring more people to help clean up the area and give directions to tourists and shoppers.

City officials and executives are seeking to create what's known as a business improvement district. They said that it will help soften the ambiance of Downtown Crossing, where vacant storefronts mix with million-dollar condominiums, decades-old jewelry stores, and swank new restaurants.

"This is going to be the new retail area of our city, and its best days are still ahead of it," Menino said. "I'm very bullish on this idea. We have some good leadership in place to make it a reality."

Supporters said the district is critical to efforts to revitalize the neighborhood, especially as economic troubles undermine development projects and efforts to lure new retailers. A $700 million project to redevelop the former Filene's site was put on hold recently because developers could not get construction loans.

"Now more than ever, people need some protection for their investments, to make sure the streets are as clean as they can be," said Rosemarie Sansone, president of the Downtown Crossing Partnership, a business association. "Frankly, Boston should have been the first city in the nation to have a business improvement district."

Instead, it is among the last. Many major cities in the country, from Seattle to Denver to Hartford, have at least one improvement district, and some have multiple designations. New York City used the program to revitalize Times Square, which is now a vibrant eating and shopping area after being known for years as a district more defined by seedy taverns and nightclubs.

Efforts to create an improvement district in Downtown Crossing failed twice in the 1990s because of lack of support. It faced opposition from the Boston Police Patrolmen's Association, a labor union, because of plans to hire private security guards. That idea has been removed in the latest version.

Business executives involved in the current initiative said they are still crafting the exact dimensions of the district and how the tax would be assessed. But they said it has broader support than previous efforts, especially as new residents and businesses begin to move into the area.

There are now 6,000 people living in Downtown Crossing, a sharp increase from the few hundred who lived in the neighborhood in the early 1990s. New restaurants such as Ivy, on Temple Place, are joining with standard-bearers such as Locke-Ober to give the neighborhood more options.

Yesterday, Suffolk University and city officials broke ground on the $42 million redevelopment of the Modern Theatre, which will reopen in the fall of 2010 with a new 184-seat black box theater and gallery space, as well as a 12-story dormitory.

Developer Ronald Druker, who owns several buildings in Downtown Crossing, including the Corner Mall, said the district would help create a more unified design, similar to the environment created by the red brick plaza and classic street lighting of Faneuil Hall.

"You walk into Faneuil Hall, and it's something different," Druker said. "It's cleaner, it's brighter, it's better promoted, and that's what we want, so there's a different sense of place in Downtown Crossing."

The effort to create an improvement district remains in preliminary stages. Sixty percent of commercial property owners would have to agree before it could be submitted to the City Council and mayor for approval.

"No one is expecting Downtown Crossing to become Disney World," said John Rattigan, a lawyer for the firm DLA Piper that is coordinating the initiative. "But bringing more attention to bear and more supplemental services can improve the experience for people who live there and work there."

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

Expect to hear from Ms Kressel about this. Private companies and individuals have to help where the city can't provide?

Why can't our tax dollars go to keep Downtown Crossing in good shape?

Tax dollars WILL go to providing the services. The difference is that the $$ will only come from the people -- local property and business owners -- who benefit from the additional services.

Think of it as a local small-scale government that will supplement, but not compete with, City Hall.

I can't believe they haven't done it sooner.

Ugghh...BIDs have been proven to be successful. Why can't people in this damn town accept a good idea on its merits?

Ugghh...BIDs have been proven to be successful. Why can't people in this damn town accept a good idea on its merits?

cops, cops,cops

Every time this has been proposed in the past the cops show up in force at the meeting to intimidate and surpise the plan is droped. They should have droped the private security component long ago.

Super, then I get to stop paying for the city's schools, since I don't have kids in them, right?

Just because they work doesn't make them right.

The New York City BIDs work wonderfully; I just don't know if I support them, here.

The DTX community is all for it, the Mayor has shot it down, probably for the reason you mention.

If the DTX community is willing, then why does it matter to everyone else? They are the ones getting a tax hike, not anyone else.

Every time I inadvertently re-strengthen my faith in this physically beautiful city, I am convinced to rid it once again. So ignorant are some comments made on this site, I rarely contribute to a forum that I?ve been following since the days of Boston Skyscraper Guy. hiFor me, at times, this has merely become a place of news updates without the desire to contribute. Although opinion is free, as is speech, this is a shared world and should be a city of shared space. It would be so unkind if I were to have some of the same views of the young kids that congregate on the beautiful plaza of the Boston Public Library, smoking and skating about while nearly colliding with unsuspecting pedestrians. I don?t assume they?ve come from torn homes, or that they?re trouble. I realize that I live in a city metro with millions of people from all walks of life and that this is the very element that makes this place beautiful and worth living in. Taking the same situation downtown with a different race of youth and the kids are thugs, trouble, and from single parented broken homes??? I?m saddened by this attitude which is honestly and unfortunately way too familiar to me growing up in Boston. If Boston can learn one thing, and from any other city, have a look at the public integration of New York City where space is shared and people aren?t afraid of their own shadows.... Give me a break Boston, ugh!

Let?s face it, this city is beautiful, but quite a bore unless eating and going to the theatre all day and night after people watching and walkin around all damn day is your thing.
Let us take on this simple math problem, lol?

Boston minus Kids that hang in front of Berklee
minus ?Thugs? from broken homes hanging downtown
minus Hipsters hanging at the top of Newbury
minus Hazardous Skateboarding
minus All neighborhoods West of Mass Ave, etc...

= A flavorless Yuppville lacking public social skills and appeal to anyone other than other boring individuals that believe the city should be washed of anything non-Jamaica Pond like and White-American.

Boston, Boston how I love you so, but in order for you to grow, there are way too many screwed minds within your city limits that have to go?

Give me a minute to go back into my protective bubble.

Wow! Well said, I couldn't agree more.

A flavorless Yuppville lacking public social skills and appeal to anyone other than other boring individuals that believe the city should be washed of anything non-Jamaica Pond like and White-American

Death to yuppies.

You guys should organize a pogrom to rid us of all this yuppie scum. You have every right to demand that only people like yourselves can live in this city.

Die yuppie die.

Back