Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

You have every right to demand that only people like yourselves can live in this city.

Kudos for misconstruing LowerRoxbury's point as much as logically possible.

Kudos for misconstruing LowerRoxbury's point as much as logically possible.

That's a matter of opinion. Didn't some one recenty post saying name calling on this forum doesn't help, or is generalizing about yuppies ok.

No, it's not a matter of opinion. He said he didn't want a city that was only filled with yuppies. You literally took his statement of "I prefer the greatest degree of social diversity possible" to mean "only people like myself should live here".

I have never seen the term yuppie used in anything but as a derogatory term. Including on this forum.

I have never seen the term yuppie used anywhere but this forum.

If Boston can learn one thing, and from any other city, have a look at the public integration of New York City where space is shared and people aren?t afraid of their own shadows.... Give me a break Boston, ugh!

Give me a minute to go back into my protective bubble.

I think you have spent way too much time in that protective bubble:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...two_white_teens_arrested_in_alleged_elec.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/nyregion/22crown.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Crown Heights &st=cse

I won't even get into how many Mexicans are killed and beat up on Long Island.

Race is a national issue, not just Boston's.

I have never seen the term yuppie used anywhere but this forum.

The Boston Globe loves that term, In the 80's the never used it without mentioning brie and chardonnay in the same paragraph. Herald uses it too.

Maybe we can rename this forum bubbleBOSTON.org

I hope I don't come across as down playing Boston racial troubles. Boston has a long history of problems starting with the pilgrims, terrible terrible people. I just think that too many people think this is unique to Boston.

District hopes to do well by doing good for artists

539w.jpg

Boston Handmade artists plan to open their free storefront at 505 Washington St. this weekend to holiday shoppers. (Jessica Burko)

By Kimberly Sanfeliz
Globe Correspondent / November 30, 2008

Amid the chain retailers hawking Christmas sweaters and mass-produced neckties, something new is sprouting this holiday season in Downtown Crossing.

Two local property owners, the Druker Co. and Northland Investment Corp., have donated four retail spaces along Washington and Bromfield streets to local artists, as part of the city's Downtown Crossing Economic Improvement Initiative. From the storefronts, the artists will sell their handmade wares - everything from sea-glass jewelry and children's clothing made from recycled men's shirts to hand-spun cotton figurine Christmas ornaments and photographs of Boston scenes - until Dec. 28.

Some 525 businesses call Downtown Crossing home, and about 230,000 pedestrians travel its streets per day, making it one of the largest shopping districts in the city. But the area is going through what Randi Lathrop, the Boston Redevelop ment Authority's deputy director for community planning, calls a transition period.

"This was the only shopping district for years" in Boston, said Lathrop, the brains behind the donated storefront plan. "It was going downhill."

The economic improvement initiative, launched by the BRA in 2004, was designed to reverse that pattern.

Though the number of empty storefronts is relatively low for the district, according to Lathrop, many are in its heart, where Winter and Summer streets cross Washington. The temporary art spaces, three on Washington Street and one on Bromfield, are prime real estate, and their visibility gives artists a chance to sell their pieces in a highly trafficked area beyond the niche market of galleries and weekend art shows.

Jessica Burko, a Jamaica Plain-based photographer and mixed-media artist, said that when the BRA approached her early this month with the offer of a space at 505 Washington St., she jumped at the chance. Burko is the founder of Boston Handmade, an almost 2-year-old collective of Massachusetts artists and crafts people who meet occasionally to network and who are all registered sellers on etsy.com, a crafts website.

Burko quickly moved to set up a bank account, get a postal box and credit-card machine, and put the word out to Boston Handmade members to staff the store during operating hours. The group spent the rest of the time renovating the space, which Burko described as "very raw."

"I was worried no one wanted to work, but I was wrong," she said.

The time crunch proved to be the main challenge for Jen Matson, who is responsible for the space at 34 Bromfield St. A board member of the United South End Artists, Matson said she was approached only about a week and a half ago. However, unlike the space Burko inherited, Matson's storefront once housed a Ritz Camera shop and was more retail ready, making it easier for the artists to move in. Matson is now focused on having the shop ready for the open house that each storefront is holding this Thursday.

Each of the four groups that received donated space - the other two are Alternate Currents at 604 Washington St., and JP Art Market at 439 Washington St. - is responsible for staffing its own store and being open, at a minimum, Thursdays through Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sundays from noon to 5 p.m. Although the groups won't be charged rent, they must pay the electric bill and the cost of insurance. The artists keep 100 percent of the selling price.

"The expenses are going to be low, but it's a busy time of the year" for artists, Matson said. Many artists she works with spend December weekends at various art shows and are unable to leave their pieces in the store for long periods of time. "The main challenge is going to be coordinating everyone to staff and inventory the store."

Matson, a photographer, said despite the challenges, this project is a great opportunity for artists to reach out to a more diversified public and for shoppers to buy directly from the people who created a work they admire.

"Those of us who do art shows find that people really like meeting the artists," she said. "They love the story behind the art."

Link

This is good. I can't decide if starving artists belong more in FP or DTX or somewhere else...

Downtown crossing seems to finaly be getting their act together. Her are a few of the events they are now planning:

Downtown Crossing Wine Crawl

December 3, 2008
5:30pm-7:30pm

The Downtown Crossing Wine Crawl will take place Wednesday December
3rd from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Pick up your free wine crawl pass at any
participating restaurants: Ivy, Kennedy's Midtown, Kingston Station,
Mantra, Marliave, Max & Dylans, and Locke-Ober. Come enjoy FREE wine
and appetizers at the particpating restaurants. RSVP to
events@downtowncrossing.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Art MEETS Culture: Artists' Open House

December 4, 2008
5:30pm-7:30pm

439, 505, 604 Washington Street: Make these local businesses part of your holiday shopping by purchasing from the artists located in these spaces.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home Sweet Home for the Holidays:
Living in Downtown Crossing
Over six thousand people live in Downtown Crossing - do you know where?

On Saturday, December 13th from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM, the Downtown Crossing neighborhood invites the public in to discover the unique spaces, breathtaking views and convenience of living in Downtown Crossing, espcially during the Holiday Season. This self-guided walking tour visits 12 homes, from ultra-modern to historic and from loft to penthouse. Find out where over 6000 people live in Downtown Crossing, and discover their favorite shops and restaurants in the neighborhood.

The tour can be accomplished in less than two hours, but visitors should consider making a day of it and exploring Downtown Crossing's other attractions including historic buildings, restaurants and retailers. Tickets are available in advance for $20 and on the day of the tour for $25 at 520 Washington Street (near the intersection of Washington and West Streets).

complete list:
http://www.downtowncrossing.org/events/

^DTX has been advertising on TV and promoting elsewhere pretty heavily. I was there on Saturday evening and there was quite a crowd. It actually felt very inviting and warm (despite the temperature).

As far as the artist thing goes, I like it. I know places like Pawtucket have had similar initiatives that have been successful, and Fall River just implemented something similar this Fall, but it's too early to tell how that will play out. Obviously DTX is a bird of a different feather so I doubt this incentive would be anything but a big success.

now we know how Druker got his Shreve Crump and Low Proposal to pass the muster....he promised Mayor Menino that he would donate retail space in DTX for 'hip' artists

I got this notice today:
Art Meet Culture--Artist Holiday Shops
From: Burbidge, Heidi <Heidi.Burbidge.bra@cityofboston.gov>
To: Burbidge, Heidi <Heidi.Burbidge.bra@cityofboston.gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 9:37 am

Attachment
Art_open_house_vertical.jpg
Join us for free food and wine at the opening event for four artist shops where Boston artists will be selling their handmade work, including jewelry, photography, painting, wearables like hats and scarves, notebooks, children's clothing, and lots of fun stuff. Great gift ideas--celebrate the season and Downtown Crossing! Other holiday related events will also be taking place: check out www.downtowncrossing.org/holidays.

The artist holiday shops are in Downtown Crossing at four locations within a couple blocks of each other: 608 Washington Street (by Chinatown T Stop), 505 Washington Street (across from Macy's), 439 Washington Street (across from Filene's building), and 34 Bromfield Street (next to the camera shop).

If you can't join us for the opening event, please be sure to visit the shops in Downtown Crossing and support the artists. The shops will be open Thursday- Saturday 11:00AM to 7:00PM, and Sunday 12:00-5:00PM. (439 Washington Street will be open Monday- Saturday 11AM-7:00PM and Sunday 12:00PM-5:00PM). You can stroll down on your lunch break or after work, or come by during the weekends until the end of December.

Thanks to the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the City of Boston, the Downtown Crossing Partnership, Northland Development, The Druker Company, Ivy Restaurant, Fajitas and Ritas and the Omni Parker House.

Back