Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I wonder if B&N is in any position to buy Borders (even at Ch. 11 prices)? I don't think any brick & mortar booksellers are doing too well right now.

But at any rate, you were correct with your original point. Downtown Borders probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon (unless things are much worse than they are letting on). I pushed the panic button a little too quickly. :rolleyes:

No way B&N will scoop up the entire company, most of their stores are neighbors. How often do you see a Borders with more than a half-mile to the next B&N?

Although, it would be pretty awesome if an independent or at least a local chain picked it up.

I don't see that many local candidates, though:

Harvard Book Store? Maybe, they were just sold to new owners, and they once before had a second store in Back Bay.

Brookline Booksmith? They gradually contracted from a large local chain to just the one Brookline store, but did then open a second Wellesley store, replacing a former Lauriat's.

Brattle Book Shop? Used books are what they know. I can't see them branching out into new books.

Commonwealth Books? See Brattle Book Shop above.

Wouldn't the city work more effecitively if certain neighborhoods had certain purposes, or attitudes? You want to dance until 3am, you go here. Can't get into the game, watch it there. Maybe it would be too suburban (this here, that there), but encourage (minimal zoning) certain establishments in certain areas? Maybe DTX would be more vibrant if people didn't have 3 alternatives to it (and had a good, solid reason to LIVE there.)

This was a midcentury philosophy - segment the city and classify it into different zones of uses. Government Center was one product of this thinking. The Financial District was an unplanned realization of it. I'd rather have 24 hour neighborhoods all around than single-purpose districts that only pulsated at their given times, and it makes more sense from a transportation and safety standpoint to encourage mixed neighborhood purposes as well.

That entire block that includes Macy's and the Hyatt is horrible for a downtown area. Level the whole block. (re?) Connect Temple St. to Chauncy to break it up, it would line up nicely with the gap in that older building on Chauncy St. A new highrise or two of hotel/residences, a multi level Macy's and/or other department, a grocery store as mentioned before. Sidewalk space along Washington St for outdoor cafe's and restaurant's, etc. And what is that Washington-Essex building currently housing? That might be a good spot for Macy's if renovated to anchor the area at that end, an older larger building like in SF and NY. Put up a big screen on that rounded section of Mill. Place and string up some tacky lights over sections of the street.

DTC is definitely now ruled by what must be Suffolk and Emerson students at night; they are coursing up and down Tremont in waves. Streets like Washington and Winter are definitely emptier than they ought to be.

There's an intimidating Suffolk security muscle car patrolling the blocks between Winter and the Boston Common cinema.

Addendum: If only the T ran an hour or two later. It's hard to believe watching a 10pm movie means running to catch the last train.

DTC is definitely now ruled by what must be Suffolk and Emerson students at night; they are coursing up and down Tremont in waves. Streets like Washington and Winter are definitely emptier than they ought to be.

This is definitely true. The expansion of Suffolk and Emerson into DT has clearly done much to re-enegize the area. I think it's a great thing. However, I just wish there was more normal housing being built DT to dilute their presence. As CZ has observed, the area is already ruled by students and there are two more dorms being constructed on Washington. Unless we get more non-student housing built DT, I fear it becoming another Allston. I think it would be horrible to totally cede away DTX to the colleges.

I wouldn't especially mind a more centrally located 'Allston' -- that would mean thrift stores, nightlife, music ...

Banker & Tradesman - March 30, 2009
It?s The High Rents, Stupid

By Scott Van Voorhis

Banker & Tradesman Columnist

03/30/09

Construction has been halted on the former Filene's site in Downtown Crossing.If you want to know what really ails Downtown Crossing, first take a look at some of the sky-high rents that landlords in the down-at-the-heels shopping district are charging.

No one is going to confuse Washington Street, with its bombed-out streetscape (thanks to the stalled Filene?s redevelopment), with Newbury Street.

But that is not stopping some Downtown Crossing landlords from seeking Newbury Street rents, anywhere from $80 to $150 a square foot, brokers and city officials say.

The result has been an abysmal mess, creating a gap-toothed smile of empty storefronts mixed in with fast-food joints and cell phone shops.

The real question though is why no one, outside of the mayor and a few other people at City Hall, is looking hard at this. I mean, this is not rocket science.

Maybe it?s just the dysfunctional way we take on tough issues here in the Boston areas. Downtown Crossing has been on the slide for years, but it?s only when it?s on life support that it starts to get some attention.

Even now, the debate is shaping up over whether to allow cars in the now pedestrian-only shopping district. Sure, that might help, but you have to have something more than sneaker stores and cell phone shops to make Downtown Crossing a destination worth getting in your car to visit.

And, of course, we haven?t even gotten to what needs to be done to fix this mess. I?m thinking a little eminent domain shopping spree by City Hall might be in order, but more on that later.

?No one has changed their attitudes about valuations ? that is kind of a problem,? said Mark Browne, a top downtown retail broker. ?It?s huge. You have very, very high prices.?

He?s right ? just take a look at these numbers.

At $80 to $150 a square foot, dingy Downtown Crossing rents are not that far off from what you would see on Newbury Street, where retail space goes from $60 to $200 a square foot, Browne notes.

All would be fine if Downtown Crossing was a bustling shopping Mecca with a healthy range of retail establishments, but it?s not. Some landlords would rather hold out for sky-high rents than take something less, even if it would bring a little life to this increasingly dead ? and at times dangerous ? retail void, city officials contend.

They point to a parking and retail complex, which is still pushing for high rents, even as vacancies mount, as well another building near the now-gutted Filene?s complex, which has sat vacant for years, despite interest from a number of retailers.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino and his retinue dutifully trot off every year to the annual shopping centers conference in Las Vegas, talking up the city and Downtown Crossing to various retailers.

City officials say they would like nothing better than to see a Trader Joe?s or Forever21 set up shop in Downtown Crossing. Not to mention a bakery and a family-style restaurant. But many of these well-known retailers, when they get around to checking out the district, leave frustrated after banging up against a wall of inflated rent demands.

And despite all those empty storefronts, not even Filene?s Basement, which had hoped to open a temporary store during the now-stalled renovation of the Filene?s block, could find space it could afford, city officials contend.

?The leasing structure down there is pricing these great retailers out of the market,? said Kristen Keefe, a retail leasing expert at the Boston Redevelopment Authority. ?Certain landlords seem to be quite willing to hold their properties vacant in order to get the top dollar.?

Of course, not everyone sees things this way.

Robert Posner, owner of the now empty Barnes & Noble building, denies he is holding out for higher rents. He won?t say what his price is either, but insists it?s nothing like the $100-plus a square foot rents cited above.

He contends he was given a low-ball offer by Filene?s Basement, and had another promising retail deal stolen out from under him by a competitor.

Still, Posner is just one of an array of small-time landlords who control Downtown Crossing ? and that may be the biggest problem of all.

If the area were one giant mall property, City Hall would have just one landlord to deal with. Instead, the ownership of the district is Balkanized, with a wide array of scrappy, small-time landlords.

Get Tough, Menino

So maybe some subtle or not-so-subtle hints about the possible use of eminent domain to seize some empty retail buildings might do some good over at Downtown Crossing.

After all, there were no qualms about using eminent domain a few years ago to relocate a strip club to make way for a new condo tower near Downtown Crossing ? one that, mind you, never got built.

City officials at one point were even planning on seizing a huge swath of the neighborhood around Fenway Park back in 2000 in order to make way for a crazy plan to tear down the old ballpark and replace it with a huge new stadium.

At the least, it might prompt some badly needed introspection on part of some Downtown Crossing landlords still holding out for Newbury Street rents.

I popped into the "the Tam" on Tremont St. a while ago. It was largely filled with what appeared to be Emerson College students. There were just a few old combat zone types sprinkled in for variety. Quite a change in the clientele compared to 10 to 15 years ago.

I popped into the "the Tam" on Tremont St. a while ago. It was largely filled with what appeared to be Emerson College students ... Quite a change in the clientele compared to 10 to 15 years ago.
Do they card?

but did we learn anything new in Scottie's article.

I could be wrong on this but i believe that until fairly recently the tax rate for residential and commercial were the same. I think I read that commercial is now 5 times the residential rate. Maybe it's partially the tax rate that is driving the absurd prices. Do you pay less tax on an unoccupied store? Anyone knowledgeable on this?

Using Eminent Domain because of empty store fronts sounds a little extreme. How about some tax incentives instead?

Also, the Tam is hands down one of the best downtown bars. My only problem with it is that I'm not in the age group it caters to anymore (college kids and long time alcoholics), so I'll usually put in the foot work to go around the corner to Jake Wirth's (the beer's better anyways).

Off-topic, but has the Black Rose been claimed by the tourists?

I think Scott's piece is a little too eager to put the blame on "greedy landlords". It's an abysmal retail market out there and rows of empty storefronts are ubiquitous. Hell, even in the busiest parts of Manhattan there are gutted storefronts. Maybe the rents are too high but it's still "the economy, stupid".

I don't see empty storefronts in Davis Square or Central Square. Why should there be empty storefronts in Downtown Crossing?

Back