Filenes025.jpg
Filenes022.jpg
Filenes023.jpg

OK, enough with the downer stuff. Who wants to go SLEDDING?!:
Filenes047.jpg

And to leave you with a good taste in your mouth:

Filenes039.jpg

"And to leave you with a good taste in your mouth:"

Statler -- gorgeous final shot -- than you for adding the optimism!

Sigh...look, Mayor Menino, DT Crossing's best shot is to play off its zest, verve, and edge. So please, tear down your uniform Main Streets signs (Pizzeria Rico and Watch Hospital look like they were made from the same mold) and use its money to invest in Blue Hill Avenue, where it's needed. Seriously, Philadelphia has been covered with peppy attempts to promote itself via prepped-up street furniture for a decade, and it's fooling no one. And what I've been witnessing is the Philadelphification of what was one of the city's best neighborhoods.

Oh, and while you're at it, could you order Suffolk to de-evict the tenants it kicked out of its new dorm building so it could replace them with a blank wall covered in catalog quality headshots of smiley students? Thanks!

Boston.com - March 9 '09

Chicago's pedestrian mall solution: traffic
Fortunes soared with format shift

CHICAGO - State Street's problems 20 years ago will sound familiar to anyone who knows Downtown Crossing in Boston.

The historic downtown shopping destination, once anchored by classic department stores like Marshall Field and Goldblatt's, was dirty, dangerous, and down on its knees. The city had blocked off traffic on the street, turning it into a pedestrian mall in hopes of competing with suburban malls.

But instead of enlivening the street, the mall isolated it from the rest of downtown. Businesses closed, shoppers fled, pigeons and trash proliferated, and the street emptied into a wasteland at night. Like their counterparts in Boston, Chicago officials dispatched fruit vendors, hoping they would bring back shoppers. They didn't.

Under mounting pressure from business owners, the city made a fateful decision in 1996. Like hundreds of cities across the country, it decided to rip up its pedestrian mall and reconnect State Street to downtown.

These days, State Street is at the heart of a downtown renaissance. By day, diverse crowds of office workers, college students, and teenagers throng the sidewalks, passing hotels, coffee shops, bookstores, and clothing stores. By night, condo owners return to the upper floors of formerly decrepit department stores, students head to newly built classrooms and dorms, and visitors flock to rehabilitated theaters. Businesses power-wash the sidewalks and maintain planters. The local ABC affiliate even built a glass studio on State Street, turning the hubbub into a live backdrop, like Rockefeller Plaza on the "Today" show.

As Boston grapples with the decline of Downtown Crossing, the rebirth of Chicago's State Street is a case study of how a seemingly small change - opening up the area to traffic - can usher in a long period of growth and renewal. Chicago officials and business owners, like those in Boston, knew they ultimately needed more appealing stores, increased nighttime safety, and enhanced amenities for pedestrians. But unlike in Boston, they came to the decision that none of those changes would be possible if the city did not remove its pedestrian mall first.

"It was a very courageous decision because we had spent a lot of money to mall it, and we had to say, 'You know what? This is not working,' " said Christina Raguso, acting commissioner of the Department of Community Development. "Fortunately, the mayor could see past the mall, and see that there was still prosperity in State Street. And it's really a great story. It worked. It opened up so many economic opportunities and retail opportunities for the street, and made it a destination."

Like Downtown Crossing, which sees an estimated 230,000 people walk through every day, State Street always enjoyed heavy foot traffic. Even during its nadir in the 1980s, more than 20,000 people passed most corners of the nine-block mall every day, making it one of the most traveled areas in the city. But not until the street was reconnected to downtown did the district come back to life, city officials and planners say.

"It was just critical," said Philip Enquist, an urban designer at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, which designed the removal of the mall. "I think State Street would not have succeeded had we not brought the cars back. The ripple effects have been phenomenal."

There are a few distinct differences between State Street and Downtown Crossing. The Chicago mall was larger than Boston's, nine blocks compared with four, and it was constructed on a wide thoroughfare that could handle four lanes of traffic and wide sidewalks to accommodate pedestrians, unlike Boston's narrower Washington Street.

Boston officials staunchly oppose the removal of the mall in Downtown Crossing, saying they hired consultants who concluded that it could still thrive. Some shop owners and developers agree, but as the district has suffered the closing of Filene's and Jordan Marsh in recent years, others argue that it is time for the mall to go.

"It just has created this blockage," said John B. Hynes III, the developer and grandson of Boston Mayor John B. Hynes, who is struggling to finance the conversion of the former Filene's building into a residential and retail tower. "I've talked to a dozen retailers, and they wish that people could drive through, just because it makes it easier to drop people off and pick them up."

American cities built more than 200 pedestrian malls in the 1960s and 1970s, when they were losing shoppers to proliferating suburban malls and hoping to draw them back with placid, car-free walkways in their downtowns. Chicago built its mall in 1979; Boston built its in 1978.

"In those days, the suburbs were hot, white flight was taking place, and people were scared of urban America," said Ty Tabing, executive director of the Chicago Loop Alliance, the downtown business association. "It was a different era then, when these things made sense."

In Chicago, city officials and shoppers soon came to regard the State Street mall as a failure, pocked with fast-food outlets, wig shops, and discount stores. The Reliance Building, a grand skyscraper from the 1890s, became a symbol of its decline, a vacant "flophouse for pigeons," in the words of one city official.

"This group of businesses were extremely frustrated with the mall," Enquist said. "It was downbeat. The businesses were really failing. It was very inactive at night. Hotels wouldn't even have State Street on the map because they didn't want people walking there at night. It only had police cars and buses so it had this terrible feel to it."

In early 1996, the city scrapped the mall. These days, only about two dozen downtown malls remain nationwide, as officials and planners came to a reluctant conclusion: that the lack of traffic hurt downtowns by walling them off from the rest of the city.

"The lesson is that cities are about activity and energy," said Elizabeth Hollander, who was Chicago's planning commissioner in the 1980s and is now a senior fellow at Tufts University. "What they want to do is make themselves different from suburban malls - that's their niche."

In the last decade, State Street has seen an influx of business. The Reliance Building was rehabilitated into a boutique hotel, the Burnham. A mix of stores - Old Navy, Urban Outfitters, Land's End, Macy's - have opened, and the refurbished Chicago Theatre, Gene Siskel Film Center, and Joffrey Ballet draw nighttime visitors. The area still has its problems - several vacant buildings, rowdy loiterers.

But the outlook is much brighter than it was in the 1980s.

"It went into a downward spiral," said Ronald M. Arnold, vice president of business affairs at Robert Morris College, which is located on State Street. "When the street was reopened, life came back to it. It's just that activity and bustle that creates that excitement, that feeling of safety and security that makes things happen."

Michael Levenson can be reached at mlevenson@globe.com.

Last edited:
The Herald's reporting that the folks who run 21st Amendment are opening up a diner in one of Suffolk's buildings. It sounds kind of cheesy, but 21st Amendment is one of my personal favorites so I'll with hold judgment until I see the finished product.

Boston Herald - March 10, 2009
Diner revs up for downtown
Also, Pigalle grows up

By Donna Goodison / Turning the Tables | Friday, March 6, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets
Photo
Photo by John Wilcox

A 1960s-era diner largely inspired by San Francisco?s landmark Fog City Diner is planned for Boston?s Downtown Crossing.

The 225-seat Continental Diner is slated to open a year from now, decked out with a piece of an old rail car and automotive motifs from the mid-?60s.

William Ashmore, director of operations for Continental Concepts, declined to identify the location, but sources say it will be on the ground floor of a Suffolk University-owned building. The Boston restaurant group owns Ivy Restaurant on Temple Place in the same neighborhood and will open Stoddard?s Fine Food & Ale across the street next month.

The Continental Diner will be a ?traditional over-the-top classic American diner,? according to Ashmore. He and his partners made a few visits to the Fog City Diner and researched the popular tourist attraction online. Ashmore liked that it was an elegant place, with a rail car kitchen and traditional soda fountains. ?It has everything that a diner should, at heart, minus the grease,? he said.

Continental Concepts is consulting with American diner historian Richard J.S. Gutman to put the authentic finishing touches on the restaurant. Gutman, the author of ?American Diner: Then & Now,? is curator of the diner museum at Johnson & Wales University?s Culinary Arts Museum.

The Boston diner also will have traditional soda fountains and an exposed kitchen serving all three meals from 7 a.m. to midnight.

A 1964 Lincoln Continental convertible will be used as its marketing vehicle. The diner?s booths will resemble the back seat of the Lincoln, and its concave ceiling will be sprayed with copper enamel, the same color as the car.

Menu items will include steak and eggs, huevos rancheros, chicken-fried steak, waffles, burgers and salads. Bread and a rotating lineup of cupcakes will be baked in-house. Meals with a drink will run $11 for breakfast, $13 for lunch and $25 for dinner.

Continental Concepts is able to plan a new venture amid a dicey economy, because it?s showing positive numbers at Ivy, Ashmore said. Ivy serves Italian-inspired small plates and prices all of its wine at $26 a bottle.

?We don?t seem to be affected, because we?re value-oriented,? Ashmore said. More changes are in store for Boston chef Marc Orfaly.

He and co-owner and general manager Kerri Foley have put Pigalle, their award-winning French bistro in the Theatre District, up for sale.

The 54-seat restaurant has outgrown its customer base, and Orfaly and Foley plan to search for a bigger space to accommodate larger parties and private dining, a spokeswoman for the couple said.

According to the Boston Restaurant Group?s listing for Pigalle, it has annual sales of $1.3 million.

Its owners are looking for a new location in the Financial District or Back Bay with enough room for 100 to 120 customers, according to broker Charlie Perkins.

?Pigalle is a starter restaurant,? he said. ?(First-time owners) all come into a 40- or 50-seater because that?s what they can afford. Then they build a following and go off and do something bigger.?

Orfaly also owns Marco Cucina Romana in the North End. He recently closed his third restaurant, Restaurant L in Newbury Street?s LouisBoston clothing store, after just two months.

The three Z Square restaurants in Cambridge and Boston closed this year, and now the owners have filed two Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases to liquidate the business.

Filed Feb. 20, both bankruptcy petitions list debt of $1 million to $10 million. The restaurants? attorney could not be reached.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1156564

I don't live in DTX but I'll take a stab at what I still like about it.

I love the fact that despite the tons of abuse this area has suffered at the hands of greedy developers, city officials and landlords, it still remains a vibrant place. Maybe not as vibrant as ablarc would like, but lively nonetheless.
By all rights DTX should be a ghost town. There is giant fucking hole in it's heart. The Barnes & Noble space has been empty for over a year. More and more shops are being hit by the economy.
And yet, it still thrives, many, many other stores remain. H&M is undergoing a renovation. Lambert's Produce just moved back to it's old corner (despite the fact that it is boarded up and covered with gaudy graphics). The Modern, the Opera House and The Paramount are all undergoing or have completed renovations.
I love the fact that there is pen shop next to a barber shop next to a sporting goods store.
I love the fact that the White Building has been restored.
I love the fact that the new owner of Marlieav's recognized what they had and more or less left well enough alone.
I love the fact that an ugly, old garage has been replaced with a great looking condo tower. I also love that the condo tower developer recognized what it had with the Littlest Bar space and restored the facade as well as restoring the Steps.
I love the fact that the owner of the Winthrop Building has meticulously maintained their building rather than succumbing to temptation to modernize or going lax on upkeep desite the fact that the surrounding neighborhood no longer matches its stately presence.
I love the fact that the Borders Bookstore is smart enough to use the space outside it's building and helps create a nice atmosphere in the otherwise bland plaza.
I love the fact the Old South Meeting house isn't treated as just a relic, but as an active building, hosting both a used-book stand and a small produce stand.
I love the fact that there are still dozens of carts to pick up a quick snack, lunch or trinket.

I love the fact that despite all forces working against it, Downtown Crossing continues to have a there, there.

The diner sounds like a good idea - it will bring a lot of tourists to the area, and eventually attract other businesses. I still think the quickest and the best way to revitalize Downtown Crossing is to put a grocery of some kind, preferably in the Barnes & Noble space. As long as it is reasonably priced (not a Whole Foods), it will bring people in. Even in a bad economy, people still have to eat, and you don't have to wait for a concept to catch on. It will create constant foot traffic, especially in the hours after work when the streets typically become deserted. Once the grocery starts to pull people in, other little shops will follow and the next thing you know, you're recreated a shopping district and a neighborhood. The area is going to have to come back piece by piece - they can't wait for Filene's to save it.

It absolutely needs a grocery. B&N is a challenging place to put one, because it is a multi-story space.

I forgot about the upper floors - even though I'm familiar with the place and used to go inside of it, I only think of street level, what meets the eye. You do sometimes overlook the gems that are on Washington St. just above eye level; the garish signs and cheesy renovations distract you.

Grocery stores should always be in basements in urban areas.

Great post statler. It doesnt matter what exactly DTX is, as long as it doesnt look like anything else.

Thanks.

Of course, none of that is too say that things are all hunky-dory in DTX. There are very serious problems with the area that need to be (and should be) discussed and hopefully addressed.
I just wanted to counter the idea that people were ready to start hanging up Abandon all hope, ye who enter here signs.

One of the worst things that could happen is if people just give up on DTX as a lost cause. DTX needs people to go there and shop and eat there. If we scare people away it will never get better.

Stick and carrot.

Downtown will flourish but under economic circumstances I think we see more economic chaos before this crisis is over. Once Filenes project finishes construction their will be more energy back into the Heart of Downtown.

The only problem is how long will this project drag on.

^^True, but DTX had problems before the economy tanked too.

The area needs more than just a economic rebound to restore its glory. Though it will be impossible without it.

I see Suffolk University spreading their wings into this area as time goes on.
DTX in my opinion will never be what it was(the Main shopping district of BOSTON) The direction that DTX is evolving into is a Huge Commercial Building with a couple main stream stores and some downtown living.

It's not like you can't get most of the stylish retail items on the internet now.

Some inspiration:

2781471204_b48cc8e23e.jpg

Grafton Street, Dublin, Ireland

Back