Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Wow, I thought that was a office building, based on its architecture. Well, now I know, it's a great example of vertical residential Brutalism. It makes such a defining presence when you're walking down Washington Street, it just looks so good.

6,000 seems high to me too. Possibly btwn Tremont on the Common, the building next Tremont on the Common, the Devonshire etc. maybe you get more people down there than you think. Also if they're liberal with the boundaries - the Ritz Condos, the Avalon in the combat zone etc. Maybe they count the homeless shelters and college dorms: St. Francis on Boylston, Emerson Dorms, the Veterans Shelter on Court st (part of which is permanent housing).

Six thousand seems about right to me. I even read that figure somewhere in the not-too-distant past.

The DTX neighborhood association has been the source of the 6,000 residents figure. It might be "rounded up". There are around 4,663 registered voters in the 02111 ZIP code which includes the properties facing the Common as well as Archstone Boston and much of Chinatown in addition to the properties along Washington Street. Add in a bunch of transient renters and the corporate folks at One Devonshire and maybe you can reach 6,000.

Does that number include Emerson and Suffolk students?

Only if they're registered voters.

Edit to add: Census Bureau suggests +/- 30% of population is not registered to vote.

Also, Ron, you should check out Princeton Review for more information on enrollment at Emerson (3,644 undergrad) and Suffolk (5,809 undergrad).

Or, their respective websites, since they're required to post enrollment information as part of their IMP status with the BRA/CoB.

Thanks. Do you mean "registered to vote in Boston" ? (As opposed to their home states?)

Is registering to vote really necessary to be counted?

A semi-permanent (9 month) mailing address isnt enough?

Wow, I thought that was a office building, based on its architecture. Well, now I know, it's a great example of vertical residential Brutalism. It makes such a defining presence when you're walking down Washington Street, it just looks so good.

One Devonshire has balconies and no first floor: its a garage. It's always been a residential building.

I thought the lower half was office space,I once had a friend who lived on the 36th floor the views and the apt was nice the windows sucked

That's right, the first dozen (or so) floors are offices, and the rest are apartments.

I thought the lower half was office space,I once had a friend who lived on the 36th floor the views and the apt was nice the windows sucked

Is registering to vote really necessary to be counted?

A semi-permanent (9 month) mailing address isnt enough?

Registered voter addresses are a consistent way for cities to gauge population. I think Suffolk Cty is unusual in its reliance of the semi-permanent mailing address ("students") as a crutch for jury duty (irregardless of DL address and registered voter status).

Most cities use combined list of registered voters and driver license addresses.

I was really angry to be called for jury duty when I was in college (and not a full-time resident in Suffolk Cty). It was clear to me that college students were (and I think still are) second-class, transient squatters in Boston. Still I was supposed to be cheery about my civic duty when I'm pulled out of class for two days to sit around until the case was dismissed.

That's right, the first dozen (or so) floors are offices, and the rest are apartments.

The Sky Club is (or was) at the top. The city's most sybaritic spot was the hot tub overlooking the Common and the Back Bay.

Registered voter addresses are a consistent way for cities to gauge population. I think Suffolk Cty is unusual in its reliance of the semi-permanent mailing address ("students") as a crutch for jury duty (irregardless of DL address and registered voter status).

Most cities use combined list of registered voters and driver license addresses.

I was really angry to be called for jury duty when I was in college (and not a full-time resident in Suffolk Cty). It was clear to me that college students were (and I think still are) second-class, transient squatters in Boston. Still I was supposed to be cheery about my civic duty when I'm pulled out of class for two days to sit around until the case was dismissed.

Over half of Suffolk County residents don't even bother showing up for jury duty, maybe you should think about joining them :D. One reason that they seem like they're picking on college students is that no one else shows up, and therefore, there's frequently a jury shortage, despite Suffolk County's large population!

sleeps with the fish now...

L1120753.jpg

This is the new location for Sleepy's, right? (But I don't see their sign in the photo)

Back